DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

14 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Watching 15 minute vids of R Truth in pursuit of bone-in chicken wings or Becky with a can opener >>>>> Raw 2016.

Stark contrast from watching dr death and hawk backstage coked out of their minds. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BEN! said:

I'd like to see Strowman vs. Henry at WM.  Build it up by having Strowman come out and rip TJP's dabbing arm off and beat him to death with it and then Mark Henry comes out and rips Noam Dar's head off and punts it into the crowd where a lucky kid catches it and gets a souvenir cause Mark Henry's for the kids.

If Braun was around back then I'd imagine @DEAN have drawn this in the Smackdown Comix.

18 hours ago, zev said:

"it wasn't my fault none of them told me to put down the camera."

"It's not my fault that a 6 year old cwoy2j thought that Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin was the 2nd coolest wrestler on the planet behind Tully Blanchard."

• Like 2

So who had the best reinvention this year: Chris Jericho, Matt Hardy, or the Miz? Hardy is the obvious choice, but both Miz and Jericho went from guys I couldn't stand to my favourite parts of their respective shows. Anybody else in contention? 

Jericho went from being a guy people were sick of seeing to being one of the most over guys on the roster.  Miz went from being a guy no one wanted to watch to being a guy a lot of people think is the WWE MVP this year.  But Matt Hardy made people actually root against TNA going out of business, so I think he wins.

• Like 7

Hulk Hogan went from ex-reality show star/kicked out of WWE alumni meetings to Slayer of Gawker/Legal Lottery Jackpot Winner.

Given the choice between a plate of green beans and a nice scarf, I think a 31 million dollar settlement just might win.

Doing a rewatch of some of the best WWE stuff of the year. I just watched AJ vs Cena at SummerSlam. After the Super AA kickout, I noticed Michael Cole leaning over to have a couple words with Graves. Goodness would I love to be able to listen to stuff like that.

I think we need more Michael Cole interviews in general. Or more of Michael Cole on other people's podcasts. Dude's been around for a lot of stuff. 

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Matt Hardy is more over than Jeff. That is saying a lot about their early career forecasts.

There was a time during the Mattitude Era, when Jeff was in a go nowhere tag team with Bubba Dudley when this could have been predicted.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2016 at 2:00 PM, The Iron Yuppie said:

Dan Devine offered to make me the starting quarterback at Notre Dame, brother. I got sidetracked on my way to South Bend helping a lady get her cat out of a tree, brother. The job went to some guy named Joe Montana instead, dude. 

And that's how I founded the band Journey, brother. 

Brother, I actually played in the NFL in 1979. My career almost came to end before it really got started because Von Miller dropped me on my head during the 1980 playoffs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Matt Hardy is more over than Jeff. That is saying a lot about their early career forecasts.

I don't think anyone ever said both of them wouldn't be big stars.  Jeff peaked earlier and brighter- but Matt's had a more sustained career until this reinvention.

20 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Jericho went from being a guy people were sick of seeing to being one of the most over guys on the roster.  Miz went from being a guy no one wanted to watch to being a guy a lot of people think is the WWE MVP this year.  But Matt Hardy made people actually root against TNA going out of business, so I think he wins.

But if you're going with the "Matt Hardy made people want TNA to stay in business and watch Impact", wouldn't that be equalled out with: WWE tried what seemed to be one of the stupidest concepts possible for a WWE Network show in "adding a Talking Dead-esque recap show to Smackdown", a year after the Network failed miserably by adding a Talking Dead-esque recap show for Tough Enough...and The Miz basically singlehandedly turned it into one of the most must-see shows on the Network each week?

4 hours ago, alstein said:

I don't think anyone ever said both of them wouldn't be big stars.  Jeff peaked earlier and brighter- but Matt's had a more sustained career until this reinvention.

I like to think of it as Jeff got them through the door.  Matt keeps them in the room.

It's amazing to realize that even now, Miz is undervalued.  He was on his way of becoming the heel version of Dolph Ziggler, a guy who's over and can help get other guys over.  But ultimately, like Dolph, Miz would be a high-end 'just there' guy with the same gimmick year after year.

But my heavens, has Miz proven us all wrong.  He's 100% locked in to his persona, and it's astonishing to watch.  He went from being an obnoxious jerk to a full-fledged asshole whose face you want to set on fire. No one else could get a Participation Award over.  No one else would even try. He and Maryse are the living embodiment of self-absorbed grandeur. Talking Smack was good, but Miz turned it into must-watch viewing. Others have done well on the show.  But Miz is on another level that only he has set and reached, and that elevated the program.

Matt Hardy got himself and his family over.  He got Vanguard 1 and Skaarsgard over.  But TNA still limps along.  Chris Jericho got himself over.  He got The List and scarves and Drink It In over.  But his presence has hurt Kevin Owens and RAW's main event scene.  Miz got himself and Maryse over.  But he also got Talking Smack over.  He made fans interested in Dolph Ziggler again. He's going to help Dean Ambrose recalibrate after dealing with Ellsworth and get their upcoming feud over. Miz being so good at his job actually works for those surrounding him. 

I don't what award Miz deserves for that.  But he should win one.

• Like 3

I think the best thing for The Hardy's is Jeff is still actually able to do all the crazy shit he was able to do 15 years ago and he's not in the wheelchair most of us figured he would be in by the time he was 40. Though I have no idea how much pain the guy must be in on a daily basis, but just being vertical is a win for him.

Matt's the big winner though. Who ever thought he would ever come up with something way better than V1 all these years later and finally be rid of being just Fat Hardy.

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

But if you're going with the "Matt Hardy made people want TNA to stay in business and watch Impact", wouldn't that be equalled out with: WWE tried what seemed to be one of the stupidest concepts possible for a WWE Network show in "adding a Talking Dead-esque recap show to Smackdown", a year after the Network failed miserably by adding a Talking Dead-esque recap show for Tough Enough...and The Miz basically singlehandedly turned it into one of the most must-see shows on the Network each week?

Anyone who actually watched Miz host the post-Tough Enough show would not be surprised at how awesome he is on Talking Smack.

• Like 3

To me Miz's growth is astonishing- his passion for the business is so obvious for me, it's just in a different way than say a Bryan

Miz-Bryan would be one of the few things I'd get the network again for.   It's such a ready made and perfect feud that really has been built ever since Bryan's debut on the original NXT.