DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

I don't know...the arena looks pretty full. Ticketmaster didnt have many tickets left. I think if they configured the arena to have a larger capacity, there would've sold more tickets.

I bought a 5th row seat($350 face value, facing hard cam next to where Cesaro celebrated) off Stubhub this afternoon for $115. About half of the 2nd row in front of me was empty(although $500 per seat there is ridiculous). On the side of the Hard Cam, the entire upper level was tarped off. Couple that with the set itself and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even draw 10,000 in a 18,000+ building. 

Other thing I found interesting was that they literally had seat fillers behind me for the first level facing the hard cam. About every 10-15 minutes, a stagehand would bring random people over to temporarily sit down and make it look fuller for the cameras. 

6 hours ago, AxB said:

They're from Norfolk!

FightingFamily.jpg

Really not seeing any genetic superiority in there. It's enough to make you start to question Paige's parentage. Although I don't imagine telling Del Rio his girlfriend is a bastard would end well.

I know, I was making fun of Paige's parents. 

Since Del Rio is the son of Dos Caras and nephew of Mil Mascaras. 

Though Cro Cop did call Paige a bastard.

Going back to the Ryder injury

Zack tweeted that one doctor told him his recovery time was 4-6 months. Another told him 6-9.

So much singles Mojo (they already started having Mojo work against Luke Harper on house shows)

6 hours ago, Peck said:

Other thing I found interesting was that they literally had seat fillers behind me for the first level facing the hard cam. About every 10-15 minutes, a stagehand would bring random people over to temporarily sit down and make it look fuller for the cameras. 

Sorry, the immediate thing that I thought of... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Victator said:

I know, I was making fun of Paige's parents. 

You know how there's bits of American that the rest of the country makes fun of for marrying their cousins? Norfolk is the English version of those places. So when you brought up his bloodline, a lot of people from Norfolk have very pure bloodlines. Inhumanly pure.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AxB said:

You know how there's bits of American that the rest of the country makes fun of for marrying their cousins? Norfolk is the English version of those places. So when you brought up his bloodline, a lot of people from Norfolk have very pure bloodlines. Inhumanly pure.

To save you a lot of words, just say "West Virginia" in the future.  :P

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Victator said:

I would not say he could mat wrestle. But Sandman was really good at selling limb work and his aerial moves looked good. 

Reminds me of an Elk's Lodge show Ray and I went to where Sandman worked (I think) Steve Mack. Sander did a takedown and some matwork right at the start and I jokingly chanted "holy shit!", so he laughed and yelled "You didn't think I could wrestle, did you?" at us. :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AxB said:

So you're saying that Paige's family is the wrestling version of these folks?

latest?cb=20100226005318

• Like 3

Rollins is like Owens. Neither are positioned as the face of the company. Both of their title reigns were/are disasters. So even though Rollins had that PPV streak he was never positioned as The Big Dog.  Audiences (some, not everyone..)  view Roman Reigns as the next Hogan or Cena and they don't want it.

What does WrestleMania look like on the Raw side? I've got to assume Owens isn't getting that far with the belt. Triple H vs Rollins and Goldberg vs Lesnar are pretty much locks. Maybe Jericho vs Owens? So who does that leave Reigns with? I've got Reigns vs Balor 2 as having an outside shot of being the Raw main event. Not red hot, but it could work on a card where some combination of AJ/Taker/Cena is the likely headliner.

If I may be indulged a fantasy though: Following on Samurai's point, why not Reigns vs Big E? New Day has been a prominent part of the show for a couple years now. They open weekly shows regularly enough that they're clearly seen internally as big-fuckin'-deals. Their merch moves. And E is a guy Vince wanted as a big time singles star at one point. Now that these guys have really found their voice on screen, Vince should still be salivating over the possibility.

I want Big E to win the Royal Rumble. 

I leave it to reality to let me down like usual. 

There are two ways to become a big dog. Either the fans can appoint you or the old guard (Cena, Lesnar, Taker and HHH) can put you over.

When management tries to legitimize you by throwing a title on you it doesn't mean much. You can put Rollins in 20 straight ppv title matches, he's still the guy who would get squashed like a bug by Lesnar. 

• Like 2

Given how much merch New Day move I don't see them being broken up, but I'd honestly like to see Big E turn on Kofi and Woods and get a solo run.  New Day get a few rematches for the titles but lose, with it being either Kofi or Woods who end up eating the fall.  They get more despondent and then after one match Big E snaps and lays out the other guys, then cuts a promo about how he's been the one carrying the team and that he's too tough to be acting like a fool with them when he should be killing people.  Kofi and Woods can turn face and keep teaming while Big E gets a monster heel push.

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I have a feeling Big E could be that flagbearer if they gave him a shot in the spotlight. The crowd would pop harder than Peter North at a West Hollywood Co-Ed Bikini Wash.

Does this count as an old joke now?  I feel we're dating ourselves now.

(Because someone has to)

• Like 3

Big E going super-serious is a good way to remove all the things that people like about him. Not a good idea. If he were to get a singles World title push, he'd need a lot more than three months to be built up to that level, so Mania isn't a great idea either.

Most likely Raw Mania lineup to me looks like Goldberg-Brock, Jericho-Owens, Rollins-HHH, and (by process of elimination) Reigns-Balor.

The issue with Reigns-Balor is that running it as a face vs. face match would mean even the women wouldn't want to cheer Reigns. Turning Balor heel upon his return and forming the Balor Club would be fun and a great way to rehab Gallows and Anderson, but would be bad for Balor in the long run as he's needed as a fresh babyface on the top of the card. A Reigns turn would be the ideal situation and work really well, so we can go ahead and rule it out as a possibility.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I have a feeling Big E could be that flagbearer if they gave him a shot in the spotlight. The crowd would pop harder than Peter North at a West Hollywood Co-Ed Bikini Wash.

I always wonder why they don't see it in him. He's a hoss who can talk and he's a minority to boot. Guys with less have been given more.

Let me guess, Kevin Dunn doesn't like him for some reason.

I would have thought Mania was a little clearer now for Raw. SDL is the harder one to predict. I assume Cena wins the Rumble to face Styles or Taker. Not sure what Styles does if he isn't losing to Cena and we haven't heard any other talk about a Taker match have we? 

Raw gets - 

Owens v Jericho v Balor - Universal Title - Can Balor overcome the odds? Are JeriKO on the same page?

Charlotte v Bayley - Raw Women's title

Lesnar v Goldberg

Rollins v Triple H

Reigns v Strowman - US Title - Reigns defeats the monster

Smackdown

Styles/Taker v Cena (Rumble Winner)

Taker/Styles v ??? Ambrose?

Miz v "Mystery Opponent" - IC Title - Bryan brings up Joe/Nakamura or trades for Sami Zayn?

SDL Tag Title clusterfuckery - Wyatts, Usos, AA, Beauty+Beast, maybe The Revival? Dudley Boyz one night shot?

Women's Title - ???

Half of this could be on the pre-show as well. Hard to see every single title getting defended on the main show given that would be 9 matches before we even look at Rollins v HHH, Lesnar v Goldberg and a Taker match if he is working.

My biggest concerns right now are AJ Styles and Sasha Banks. Both have worked their asses off this entire year and it'd be so wrong if they do not have a marquee match on the Mania card. As of right now, I don't see a dance partner for either of them. I know Beyond's solution to this would be AJ versus Sasha but please,  not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

One of the few benefits to the brand split is that you can stick people with nothing going on in an inter-brand match and treat it like a big deal. Something like Sasha/Becky or Sasha/Nikki could be a reasonably worthy match for the competitors. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if both women's divisions end up getting 4-ways to cram more people onto the main card.

• Like 1

Have Hector Guerrero show up with a pair of Eddie's boots. Says he'll give them to someone worthy of earning them.

Random midcarders show up. And then Sasha comes out.

Hector insists she works, oh, 7 matches to make it happen, and he'll let some Hall of Famers decide on who. Nia Jax is one of the opponents. Lita is the last one. Granted, 99.99% of the Universe knows who wins this one at Mania, but they can at least play up that Lita wants one more real match. No APA assists, no Cryme Tyme shenanigans afterwards. The announcers point out that Sasha "chokes" on big time PPV matchups.  But this time, she doesn't.

• Like 1