DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

7 hours ago, turk128 said:

Man,  AJ did great there (of course) -real star quality- but I am a little shocked at AJ's presence and poise. AJ did his usual great job. I'd like to see the outtakes because I am sure AJ really was cracking AJ up! Happy b'day Jeebus!

sorry, RAF

(backwards baseball cap indoors, ugh)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

@ Reed's post...

I know it'll be looked as wrong, and I absolutely mean no harm. Seriously. But, on the path it seems she's going (don't go by only Total Divas), she presumably seems to be on a Sunny route. 

She's young, attached herself to a "name" guy, has already been in the news and linked to it. 

It doesn't seem well.

If this doesn't bode well, I'm sorry. I typed it on first instinct and am wasted and need sleep.  Hope she doesn't end up like my comparison earlier. 

Obviously, every individual has their problems. Blaming Del Rio for "corrupting" her is silly. She's young, of course, but she's still a grown-ass woman who makes her own decisions. 

But these two, eh, they simply aren't good for one another. They appear to be bringing out the very worst in each other. Shades of Sunny/Candido.

It doesn't seem healthy.

3 hours ago, Reed said:

Read the latest F4W Newsletter.

Man, Paige's mom was right: She should have stuck with Kevin. Even if his music career was going nowhere. 

(You'd have to be a fan of Total Divas to see what I mean.)

What'd Dave say about Paige and ADR in the latest newsletter?

And is Kevin the guy that proposed to her a year or two back on Total Divas, and she said yes so she... wouldn't hurt his feelings or something?  

(Obviously, it's been a year or two since I watched Total Divas.)

10 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

What'd Dave say about Paige and ADR in the latest newsletter?

Wasn't Dave, it was Bix.

Spoilered for size:

Spoiler

Alberto El Patron (Jose Alberto Rodriguez) and his fiance, Paige (Saraya-Jade Bevis) were in attendance, sitting in the owner's' box to watch his brother, El Hijo del Dos Caras, work in the main event. During the show, something happened when Paige bumped into IWRG wrestler Tortuga Rafy (as in Ninja Turtle Raphael) in a hallway. Alberto says that Rafy touched Paige inappropriately. Rafy says that he made the mistake of calling her "beautiful" as he let her pass him in the hallway, only for it to get back to Del Rio who went after him. Whichever story is true, it turned into a fistfight with Alberto getting the better of the brawl.

Rafy had pled with fans on Facebook to drop the whole thing, but he spoke up on +LuchaTV's podcast after Alberto tweeted that he groped Paige. He claimed in the interview that they had settled the issue on Sunday night. It's entirely possible that they had and Alberto only brought back the groping claims to defend himself from English speaking fans, but right now, we have no way to know for sure. Fan sentiment in the lucha scene was solidly with Rafy, as were the wrestlers who were talking.

It would be easy to look at this as an isolated incident if it was. It's not. Super Luchas reported that eight days earlier at a WWC card in Puerto Rico, Alberto had a similar reaction, albeit without the physical violence, over what's believed to be a similar non-incident between Paige and TNA's Robbie E. (Rob Strauss). While not all identical, there are other incidents involving the Paige/Alberto couple that are cause for concern.

In June, the night of the Money in the Bank pay-per-view when both were on WWE's active roster, they went out after the show because they were in Las Vegas and the show ended before 8:00 p.m. local time. Something happened, and photos spread around Twitter of Paige, seemingly handcuffed, being led into a government vehicle of some kind that most people thought looked like a police van. So I emailed the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police and got a call back from their public information officer.

For privacy reasons, he couldn't officially name anyone, but he could say that it was about "the woman in the picture." It sounds strange and like a total end run, but that's what he told me. He explained that "the woman in the picture" was getting into an ambulance, not a police van. What happened was that police officers already in the area for an unrelated incident were flagged down by bystanders who were concerned that the woman was running into oncoming traffic. After doing some kind of evaluation, it was determined that the incident should be considered medical, not legal, and at that point, due to the police handing the incident off and medical privacy laws, he had no further information.

The office I spoke two was pretty clear in saying that this was a very serious incident, both in his words and his tone. This was not some misunderstanding stemming from Paige getting drunk and obviously jaywalking. She was acting in a way that concerned not only bystanders, but trained first responders, who made the call that she needed to be taken to the nearest hospital. Whatever happened next, nobody knows, past that she appeared to be fine when she showed up the next day at Raw and was allowed to work while WWE investigated the matter.

Six months later, with everything else that has gone on between those two, and with "Total Divas" covering their courtship and her peers concern with ostensibly little to no embellishment, there's clearly something troubling going on. Even after the police story came out (albeit a version that broke first, from Ryan Satin, didn't include the officer's point of view on the matter), Alberto pushed out a story saying that Paige ended up in an ambulance because a couple they had ejected from a show attacked them. His story was transparently false, honestly more so than usual for pro wrestling, that it spoke volumes about what happened.

Oh, and then he got stabbed in an incident where Paige was present, where he told an ever-shifting story that lacked details. Blind item gossip websites had a field day with printing outlandish items very obviously implied to be about the two of them after that one, but there's no proof that any of those were true.

Even if there's a whole lot of conjecture and wacky gossip flying around, let's take a look at what we do know with at least a reasonable certainty:

* Paige's family is not a fan of her being with Alberto.

* Alberto was stabbed in an incident where Paige was present and his explanations for what happened were constantly changing.

* Paige both moved in with and proposed to Alberto on a whim.

* There was a very public outburst where onlookers were so worried for Paige's safety that they flagged down police officers who made sure she was taken to the hospital after she was acting erratically and a way she was a danger to herself and others.

* Alberto is getting into a habit of having paranoid, jealous outbursts where he becomes violent towards other wrestlers.

Without getting overly presumptuous, it's still safe to say that there are clearly a lot of things wrong with this picture. If you DID want to get overly presumptuous, there's absolutely a lot more that can be said. Whether or not that's our place...that's a different matter. But if there was ever a time that this was just a weird mismatched May-December relationship we laughed at, we're way, way past that point.

Edited by Peck
Just realized Bix is "Dave" as well, but I assume you referred to Meltzer.

Didn't Paige mention having a nagging neck injury or something and being ready to go back to England to get some time off so she could get surgery or whatever it was she needed?  I've known people who got into and stayed in unhealthy relationships where their SO got them hooked on something and was pretty much their supplier/dealer the whole time.  I'm really starting to wonder if that sort of thing is the case here.

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Didn't Paige mention having a nagging neck injury or something and being ready to go back to England to get some time off so she could get surgery or whatever it was she needed?  I've known people who got into and stayed in unhealthy relationships where their SO got them hooked on something and was pretty much their supplier/dealer the whole time.  I'm really starting to wonder if that sort of thing is the case here.

She had the neck surgery last month. But every time she's in public she's never wearing a neck brace or maybe she just takes it off for pics and videos. Either way that right there should be a cause for concern because don't you at least have to keep the brace on until the doctor says take it off?

Only thing I can say is she's British so she's naturally crazy. The booze and drugs don't help.

4 hours ago, Reed said:

Obviously, every individual has their problems. Blaming Del Rio for "corrupting" her is silly. She's young, of course, but she's still a grown-ass woman who makes her own decisions. 

But these two, eh, they simply aren't good for one another. They appear to be bringing out the very worst in each other. Shades of Sunny/Candido.

It doesn't seem healthy.

I feel like people are jumping the gun on this comparison. 

Though im not gonna lie it's 99% because people are comparing Chris Candido who was awesome to ADR. 

• Like 2

Was thinking of Benoit and how he ended up being a great brawler which few expected with the Sullivan fued.   Has that ever happened in reverse- can anyone think of garbage wrestlers/brawler types who ended up showing they were great technical wrestlers unexpectedly?

I'd mention Flair as someone who was unexpectedly great at garbage wrestling based on his couple of ECW appearance (the WWE ECW not Heyman's)

3 hours ago, alstein said:

Was thinking of Benoit and how he ended up being a great brawler which few expected with the Sullivan fued.   Has that ever happened in reverse- can anyone think of garbage wrestlers/brawler types who ended up showing they were great technical wrestlers unexpectedly?

I'd mention Flair as someone who was unexpectedly great at garbage wrestling based on his couple of ECW appearance (the WWE ECW not Heyman's)

Sabu is a great mat wrestler and has expressed some regret he could not do it more. There are some Sabu/Taz matches where they mat wrestle and Sabu just works circles around him. Also doing some good leg work on Taz. 

Dean Malenko was a great brawler. In 99 he would stand out in brawls with the nWo and Hennig/Windham and later as a face vs Flair.

Edited by Victator
More brilliance
  • Like 1

Man, all the stuff in Jericho's book about Santino is amazing: about Bob Holly calling him the worst worker he'd ever faced and Santino being upset because he couldn't see how he'd be the worst worker ever and saying "Surely you must have wrestled someone worse" at which point he said "Well maybe one or two guys were worse" which made Santino happy; how everyone loved watching his matches because there were a number of moves that he did poorly on purpose and others he did poorly unintentionally; how Santino actually competed in speed-walking competitions (hence him randomly starting to speedwalk to the ring) and told everyone that he was really good at rolling (Laying on the floor and rolling); and the story about Santino at a bar doing karaoke and doing such a great first verse of 'Summer of 69' that everyone was cheering for him, then purposefully singing the rest off-key and adding curse words and forgetting the year on purpose and driving everyone else out of the bar before the song was over.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

Ian Rotten is the obvious one. I always enjoyed when Balls Mahoney would break out his amateur background 

Ian doing really tight amateur work and busting out a headstand to reverse a hold at CHIKARA in 2006 was mindblowing live. 

Sandman can actually wrestle well also.  A good example of a great wrestler turning to brawling would be Raven.  Scotty Anthony in GWF/ Scotty Flamingo in WCW  are total style clashes with what Raven would become.   I tell you if you go back to some old GWF footage and watch his matches they hold up to this day.  I really wish his Pillman Beach Blast match would have been better though.  His early 90's WCW run wasn't the greatest maybe due to Watts inventing the top rope DQ rule. But had he stayed we would never have seen the Raven persona.