DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

Been watching the NJPW stuff on the Fight Network in Canada (Currently running the 2014 G1) and I can't escape the feeling that Josh Barnett might be the best color commentator in pro wrestling today.  He brings interesting analysis to the fights (Like discussing how AJ Styles' gloves are benefitting him because it's hot in the building and the gloves let him get a better grip on a chinlock than he would get with bare hands), occasional first-hand experience, and, most of all, he's really funny.  On the episode I just watched, after Naito mocked beloved underdog Honma and got booed for it, Barnett said "Look if you kick a kid out of a wheelchair, no one's gonna applaud you. I don't care how talented he is!".  Then later, when Yujiro Takahashi interfered in a match and Mauro Ranallo said "Why is Takahashi in there", Barnett replied "Because he's a prick!"  I honestly can't think of a working color commentator in pro wrestling who's as interesting and entertaining as Barnett.

Barnett;s great.

Part of me wonders if he'd be outstanding working for Vince, or if the "Josh Barnett" sucks thread would be on page 22 by now.  After all, most people really liked Mauro's work before he joined the WWE.

I kinda wonder if anyone is capable of good work with Vince yammering in their ear.

Damn Caley, are you still on the Mauro stuff? Wait until Good Ol JR comes in, that might knock Barnett down a peg but he at least keeps it together through all the bitterness. 

As a reminder for those of you who get AXS TV, World Pro Wrestling tonight is presenting us 

Liger/KUSHIDA

Okada/SANADA

Goto/Evil

THEN

Shibata/Nagata

Omega/Bucks vs. Team Tanahashi

THEN

Ishii/Naito

So set up your DVRs or snuggle in with a bottle and a bag of popcorn, it's gonna be fun!

I am super annoyed that I don't have Axs TV.  There was a time where it was somehow On Demand on the mobile app.  They since took that away so I'm left without a way to watch it (though if somebody knows of another way please message me)

But the times I heard Barnett he's fantastic on the show.  I was heavily amused when he slipped in a Fire Pro reference some time ago.

• Like 1

I love Josh Barnett, but I also feel like he's uniquely suited for NJPW. He's the best color guy largely because of his personal experience in Japan, working with guys at the dojo, deep knowledge of Japanese wrestling history and his shoot fighting background gives him credibility when trying to describe the kinesiology of goofy wrestling holds.

I have no doubt, given the references that he drops that he's a huge fan of 80s WWF, but I doubt he'd be given the freedom to really flex his talents in the WWE or if he'd be well suited for any other product besides NJPW

57 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I kinda wonder if anyone is capable of good work with Vince yammering in their ear.

Corey Graves is doing alright.

It hit me watching NXT this week that he's easily WWE's best announcer right now, which is amazing since he's only been doing it for 2 years. He was doing Young Boy Tom's job for him this week, trying to lead a very lost Percy Watson through the broadcast. He still manages to stay consistent on Raw, just being himself to the point where it's pretty obvious if someone else is feeding him a bad line.

• Like 2

Corey still flip-flops a little too much for my liking (Cheering on various faces, complaining about heels going too far when they really haven't done much) but I think that's more Vince than anything else, especially while reading Jericho's book where he talks about how when Jericho was playing the serious heel and they had Al Sharpton as guest host, Vince wrote a promo for him that praised everything Sharpton had done and Jericho said he shouldn't do it because it was the exact opposite of what his character would do and Vince said "That's your promo, don't change a word of it" so he did what he said and the whole segment was boring.

I know it has its own thread but for those of you who don't watch Impact (admittedly I don't either) but are familiar with Broken Matt Hardy or just a wrestling fan you need to see Tag Team Apocalypto. It's different from anything you will see on WWE television, it has a cinematic and dramatic touch to it and I think its pretty cool conceptually. If I was Rippa I'd put this on the DVDVR 1001 list.

• Like 3

Speaking of newer wrestling - for those of you who haven't seen the WWE has started putting up a lot more recent matches in full on their Youtube channel

For example - this went up today

• Like 1

Jesse Ventura was consistent in praising faces in a "I'll give him credit where credit is due" way. He would also slam heels when they would do something like pick up an opponent before the three count. Corey Graves is about the same way. Graves is the best possible combination of Ventura and Heenan. Serious analysis and just enough humor to give you a laugh now and then.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KidNatural said:

Jesse Ventura was consistent in praising faces in a "I'll give him credit where credit is due" way. He would also slam heels when they would do something like pick up an opponent before the three count. Corey Graves is about the same way. Graves is the best possible combination of Ventura and Heenan. Serious analysis and just enough humor to give you a laugh now and then.

I totally believe that Corey Graves is the closest thing we're going to get to another Jesse Ventura.  There are clearly moments where Graves is being told what to say and it seems forced, but you can always tell when he's letting loose, especially on NXT.  The only positive to Percy Watson on NXT is Corey's passive aggressive nature towards him.  Percy tried to be cute and called him "Gravy" and Corey just sat there and took it.  And then out of nowhere later in the match he let out a "And if you EVER call me GRAVY again..."  Total Jesse move.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KidNatural said:

Problem with Jesse is they never called him on bull plop. Though Schiavonie did at Summerslam  89 and it really slowed the show down. 

That said Corey Graves is a million miles away from being Bobby or Jesse. He's barely Mark Madden.

18 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Well since only one guy has excelled doing it, I'd wager it being a no for most humans who haven't worked for a bullish tyrant before.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

As far as the Brock Lesnar/steroid talk - 1) Has it even been confirmed that it was steriods? and 2) Part-timers in WWE aren't included in the Wellness Policy.

If Brock is a part-timer, then how is everyone else an independent contractor? Doesn't one contradict the other?

@ Reed's post...

I know it'll be looked as wrong, and I absolutely mean no harm. Seriously. But, on the path it seems she's going (don't go by only Total Divas), she presumably seems to be on a Sunny route. 

She's young, attached herself to a "name" guy, has already been in the news and linked to it. 

It doesn't seem well.

If this doesn't bode well, I'm sorry. I typed it on first instinct and am wasted and need sleep.  Hope she doesn't end up like my comparison earlier.