DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I enjoy that Rafy - the Turtle he rumbled with - almost died

At least that is what Rafy's friends said

Rafy posted on Facebook that he was home and fine. What he didn't say is that he needs better friends

What kind of cold hearted fuck hits someone names Rafy the Turtle?  and what kind of turtle doesn't realize that the natural defense to being hit is to hide in your shell?  There is something off about this whole story.

For those of you guys who haven't seen them work, here's when the turtles wrestled each other on Children's Day for a bunch of kids.  It's an absolute violent bloodbath.

Donatello was hurt and couldn't wrestle because he did a suicide dive right onto his face and broke his nose right before this

• Like 3

Random thought: since "PPV's" are basically network specials at this point why doesn't WWE do something out of the box and do an all women's "PPV"? They have the depth to pull it off, why not give it a shot? I don't see what they have to lose.

Sometimes I forget what an incredibly large piece of shit Vince McMahon is....then I read stuff like this in the flashback Observer:

McMahon wanted the belts on Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff. Kid refused, saying the only team he'd go into the ring with under those conditions, to drop the belts to, was the Hart Foundation, Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart. McMahon paid for George Skaaland, Arnold's son, who was wrestling in Calgary, to come on the plane with him from Calgary to Tampa. Kid had to be helped into the plane, and down the ramp by Skaaland, and transported through the airport in a wheelchair. Skaaland, like Kid, by this point was so messed up on beer and pills, that he tipped the wheelchair over backwards and Kid fell on his head. He came to the Sun Dome in a wheelchair, looking like an altogether different person without the weight training and the steroids. He popped some more pain pills, and linked arms with Smith, who was practically carrying him down the aisle because he couldn't walk to the ring. The match took place, with the Hart Foundation jumping him immediately, he fell to the floor and stayed there while his partner worked the match and dropped the titles. He was then carried back from the ring backstage. For his efforts, he was paid $25. That was the going rate for working television in those days. McMahon came up to him after he got his payoff from Arnold Skaaland, and said "God bless you, Dynamite." But he still got paid $25. His savings depleted over the next few months when he was off the road and not making the big money. Wrestlers didn't have guaranteed money contracts in those days. If they were injured and couldn't work, they made little or no money. He was about to lose his house, but McMahon loaned him money to pay his mortgage while he was off, about $10,000 in total. He rushed back for March, since it was at the time the biggest Wrestlemania ever (it was the Pontiac Silverdome show with the Hogan-Andre match which drew what is still the largest wrestling crowd ever in North America) and he figured he could earn $20,000 in one night, even if he had hardly recovered. McMahon quickly took back the money he had loaned him off his first paycheck after his return.

I think the Bob Armstrong retirement was supposed to be Armstrong w/ Ron Fuller in his corner vs. Jimmy Golden w/ Robert Fuller in his corner.  When Armstrong canceled it turned into an angle to set up Golden/Fullers as a team for the next show.  I think it was on the same day as the SCI so I don't think I ever heard about how that went.  Never heard about the Armstrong match being rescheduled either.

37 minutes ago, BEN! said:

I think the Bob Armstrong retirement was supposed to be Armstrong w/ Ron Fuller in his corner vs. Jimmy Golden w/ Robert Fuller in his corner.  When Armstrong canceled it turned into an angle to set up Golden/Fullers as a team for the next show.  I think it was on the same day as the SCI so I don't think I ever heard about how that went.  Never heard about the Armstrong match being rescheduled either.

The Gulf South Wrestling Bullet retirement match was suppose to be Bullet vs Ricky Rocket.

The Wrestle Birmingham Bullet retirement match was suppose to be Bullet and Tracy Smothers vs Jimmy Golden and someone.

That was the match that replaced the Bullet Bob retirement match at the Wrestle Birmingham show.

36 minutes ago, BEN! said:

Jimmy Golden + Ron and Robert Fuller is the greatest King of Trios team never made.

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Random thought: since "PPV's" are basically network specials at this point why doesn't WWE do something out of the box and do an all women's "PPV"? They have the depth to pull it off, why not give it a shot? I don't see what they have to lose.

Because that NWO ppv did so well....and then factor in the cost to make it happen. If women wrestling was wildly popular, Shimmer would be a bigger deal, Wrestlicious would be battling GLOW for ratings dominance. God people, I have nothing against female wrestling, but it's a niche thing. It's never going to get over beyond a certain point.

Save a boat load of money and failure and just run women's wrestling specials of matches hosted by some talking head.

9 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Because that NWO ppv did so well....and then factor in the cost to make it happen. If women wrestling was wildly popular, Shimmer would be a bigger deal, Wrestlicious would be battling GLOW for ratings dominance. God people, I have nothing against female wrestling, but it's a niche thing. It's never going to get over beyond a certain point.

Save a boat load of money and failure and just run women's wrestling specials of matches hosted by some talking head.

Holy shit this gimmick is so far past its expiration date

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

If Vince Russo were around, that would absolutely be a stable.  I wonder how they're fare against the Union of People You Oughtta Respect, Shane?

Russo would misspell FUCK "on purpose" to make it trademarkable.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

I tried to warn him. He took neither the advice nor the cannoli.

I am not that dude. Sorry if I am mistaking your intentions.

I just don't think the American audience has a big interest in paying money to see women fake fight because they never have in the past and it continues to be a niche product.