DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

What did Lita bring to the table? Last I knew her career highlights were a match with Trish, a trashy failed fashion trend, and cheating on Matt. Did I miss something?

Well, I guess she was the first female spot monkey in mainstream American wrestling.

Other than that, I'll say she had an interesting moonsault. It was totally function over form; ugly as hell with no arc, but she got some impressive distance from it.

While us dudes may not be able to relate, a fair number of women/female wrestlers have said they looked up to Lita and that she was an inspiration. She was the first female wrestler (on mainstream TV) that did high spots and seemed "cool", which meant something to female fans in their teens at the time. So there was certainly more to her career than just the Matt storyline later in it.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

If you look at all the big females that have come up of the current generation (Sasha and Bayley especially), they all cite two major influences, Eddy and Lita. I think her impact is actually huge whether she was any good or not.

That's rather sad... though explains all the hurracanrana's.

If I was a young female wrestler, is be doing nothing but studying Molly Holly film. Safe, crisp and smart.

• Like 2

I would have thought Madusa would be the first "modern era" womens worker, but since she was (mainly) pre attitude era. lita also had the tomboy appeal for girls, i guess, more so than the big breasted platinum bombshell like Madusa. 

29 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Other than that, I'll say she had an interesting moonsault. It was totally function over form; ugly as hell with no arc, but she got some impressive distance from it.

I remember when she was paired with Aguila (as "Essa Rios"), the contrast between their moonsaults, as Aguila would jump and get a lot of height on his, whereas Lita would just fall back and damn near hit her head every time she did one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I would have thought Madusa would be the first "modern era" womens worker, but since she was (mainly) pre attitude era. lita also had the tomboy appeal for girls, i guess, more so than the big breasted platinum bombshell like Madusa. 

I'd say that she was the last of the old female workers. She was the face of the WWF women's division that wasn't pushed as a sex symbol and whose looks were shit on by Jerry Lawler.

1 minute ago, Cristobal said:

I remember when she was paired with Aguila (as "Essa Rios"), the contrast between their moonsaults, as Aguila would jump and get a lot of height on his, whereas Lita would just fall back and damn near hit her head every time she did one.

This. Everybody talks about how sloppy and dangerous Charlotte and Sasha can be. Lita was the innovator of this. There was at least one spot per match were you thought she might die. I'm pretty sure that's why she had to retire early when she did, too. 

• Like 1

Thinking about it, is there a possibility that they've got rid of Lita because the Hardy men are coming in soon, and they want to avoid any unpleasantness?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Sister Christine... I knew you'd come?

You're motorin'...

A lot of great points here. I did not know one guy in school who wasn't in love with Lita because of that moonsault (nevermind the hurricanrana on Rhyno at WM X7), and like Burgundy said, of the girls my age who actually did watch the WWF, Lita was all their favorite across the board. Sable taught dudes my age what lust was (and to be kinda gross about it) but Lita was the one we all saw as the archetype of the "cool" girl.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Lita was the cool chick a lot of girls wish they could have been.  That always lends itself to good memories.

I never knew so many girls wanted to fuck El Dandy or get pissed on by Danny Doring. I guess those could be good memories if that's their thing.

• Like 8

The first time I saw Lita she jumped off the apron trying to rana Eddie Guerrero and he powerbombed her on the floor so hard I thought he was legit trying to hurt her. If nothing else, the lady has guts for taking that and not quitting.

Update:

12 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

The first time I saw Lita she jumped off the apron trying to rana Eddie Guerrero and he powerbombed her on the floor so hard I thought he was legit trying to hurt her. If nothing else, the lady has guts for taking that and not quitting.

I see you that and raise you heel Austin absolutely annihilating her with chair shots during his feud with the Hardys.  Painful to watch.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

For everything the Attitude Era did wrong in presenting women's wrestling (almost everything), it did make it accessible.  Trish, Lita, Sable, etc. were a lot easier to see on TV than, say, Madusa.  I'm old enough that I hit my teens as the 80's were just getting started, so I grew up watching AWA, GCW, JCP, etc., and I hardly saw a women's match on TV prior to the Attitude Era. I can easily believe a lot of the women coming up now saw more of Madusa as the manager of Curt Hennig or with the Dangerous Alliance than they did of her as a wrestler.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

If you look at all the big females that have come up of the current generation (Sasha and Bayley especially), they all cite two major influences, Eddy and Lita. I think her impact is actually huge whether she was any good or not.

Lol, Bayley's going to be in trouble when someone comes through who cites Bull Nakano and Dump Matsumoto as influences

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Isn't Eddie more of a general millennial inspiration than female inspirational?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Isn't Eddie more of a general millennial inspiration than female inspirational?

He was arguably one of the best of his generation. And he may have been at the top. 2002 is about when a lot of the modern-day workers would have gotten into wrestling.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Thinking about it, is there a possibility that they've got rid of Lita because the Hardy men are coming in soon, and they want to avoid any unpleasantness?

They offered a main roster contract to Mickie James, so probably not.