DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Vgmastr said:

Well dammit, I'm planning on going to Fastlane, and was very excited about it because all the rumors said it was going to be a Smackdown show.  Not nearly as excited now that it's going to be Raw.

Same thing here. I actually joined up with a group of people to get a group rate. Not as exciting as a Raw show since I was at the house show a few months ago.

I was able to snag a front row ticket to a SD house show coming to my area next month. I haven't been to a live WWE event in over 3 years. Pretty excited for this, especially being front row. I've never had a legit front row seat at an event before. I was 2nd row center before, and had "front row" tickets that extended beyond the barrier so I was more like 3rd or 4th row.

• Like 1

I've never been front row for a WWE show. I've never really had the desire. I've been front row for ROH shows during Gabe's run. Those were good times. My hands got sore as hell banging on those metal guard rails. I also got sprayed with blood from Mark Briscoe at Glory by Honor 7 in 2008. I managed to snag Necro Butcher's bandana at Injustice in April 2008. Being front row for the chair riot at Ring of Homicide was both awesome and scary as hell.

• Like 2

My friends and I had front row for KOTR '94.  We bought tickets right at the ticket counter during a January house show, as soon as they went on sale.  We were excited about it for months.

Then they reconfigured and put the former Mayor of Baltimore/Governor of MD and some "dignitaries," various cronies and flunkies in front of us, so we were now effectively in the second row.  Fuuuuuuuuck.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

the chair riot at Ring of Homicide was both awesome and scary as hell.

Had to look it up and that's the craziest/most idiotic thing ever. The Funk one in ECW pales in comparison. Watch someone pitch one at the security guy as he's giving the cut sign to the crowd. 

You were front row, damn... scary as hell indeed.

I think he's talking specifically about the guy, who chucked one intenionally at the security guard.

Those aren't the only two instances where this happened and I'm pretty sure it's encouraged. In CZW this happened plenty of times.

• Like 1

Jerry Lawler may have made his last WWE TV appearance (as a commentator, anyway):

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe-removes-jerry-lawler-lita-regular-tv-duties-226041

The WWE has confirmed today that Jerry Lawler and Amy "Lita" Dumas have been removed from regular weekly programming.

Both have been moved from full-time deals to Legends contracts and the decision was made to take them off the pre-show panels before Raw, SmackDown and PPV events.

The Lawler situation followed the pattern of Jim Ross, where, likely due to age, he was moved from Raw to SmackDown, then given a lesser role on SmackDown, and then the decision was made to remove them from regular television but keep them with the company, although Ross was later let go after controversy regarding his hosting a WWE event that went awry.

Both are still affiliated loosely with the company and may be brought back to television on the WWE Network for special occasions.

Last Sunday's TLC PPV featured a change in pre-show format with radio host Peter Rosenberg as a guest on the panel.

I'm a big fan of Lawler as a wrestler, so I'm probably be a little sad about this.... if Jerry hadn't been so damn awful on commentary for so damn long.

On the plus side, more time to spend driving the Batmobile and picking up much younger girlfriends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Lawler was very terrible and kept his job for decades.

Lawler did have a 40 year history of being a draw to back him up. 

Thinking about it...wouldn't Jerry have been a better fit, culturally, in WCW?

7 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Lawler did have a 40 year history of being a draw to back him up. 

Thinking about it...wouldn't Jerry have been a better fit, culturally, in WCW?

Lawler perving out for three hours over the Nitro Girls would have been just as bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Lawler was very terrible and kept his job for decades.

Lawler was terrible, but was very popular with a majority of the audience.  And probably Kevin Dunn, whose opinions of women are allegedly somewhat parallel to Lawler.  Lita is popular, too, but not because of her role as a commentator.