DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Outside of the Kevin Sullivan stuff, which is terrible and also thankfully probably ending with Corino heading to WWE, ROH isn't that bad. It's also not really good either. Is there a WON award for "Most Average Promotion of the Year"?

Remember when Gabe won the award for best booker and ROH won best promotion for like four or five years in a row? Those were the days.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ace said:

For those who haven't heard, the 2016 WON Hall of Fame class is Daniel Bryan, Mean Gene, & Sting, with James McLaughlin as a pioneer.

I should subscribe to WO again just to read all the hot takes about this list. I imagine some dudes are not happy about the Sting news.

49 minutes ago, Ace said:

For those who haven't heard, the 2016 WON Hall of Fame class is Daniel Bryan, Mean Gene, & Sting, with James McLaughlin as a pioneer.

Congrats to Sting. Seriously, I absolutely think he deserves to be in there.

I just hope DB and Mean Gene don't turn on him at the awards banquet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zev said:

Congrats to Sting. Seriously, I absolutely think he deserves to be in there.

I just hope DB and Mean Gene don't turn on him at the awards banquet.

You'll have to call the WCW hotline to find out if Mean Gene turns on Sting. Kids, get your parents permission.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sammo~! said:

Is there a WON award for "Most Average Promotion of the Year"?

I hear Chikara is winning that award this year. They have been average to the extreme for a few years now.

edit: meanwhile PWG had an amazing tournament this year that will criminally go forgotten in the awards.

1 hour ago, Ace said:

I don't know McLaughlin but I have no qualms with the other three at all.  

I'm going through the issue now, for those curious the only other three who were even close to getting in with them were Cien Caras, Villano III, and Pedro Morales.  CM Punk only got 20% of the vote and Randy Orton only got 17%.

And the one name who I think absolutely belongs who isn't in is Bill Apter.  There's no way so many of us would have been the fans we became without the Apter mags in the supermarkets or drug stores.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sammo~! said:

Outside of the Kevin Sullivan stuff, which is terrible and also thankfully probably ending with Corino heading to WWE, ROH isn't that bad. It's also not really good either. Is there a WON award for "Most Average Promotion of the Year"?

I wouldn't go as far as Worst Promotion of the Year, but ROH's entire set-up is totally wrong with a dominant heel stable that runs roughshod over all the faces and humiliates and degrades them while the fans cheer for said heel stable, leading to guys stepping up to challenge the heel stable and get booed for it.  It's completely counter-productive to book Bullet Club as anything but faces right now.  It's actually more tone deaf than Roman Reigns: Hero of the People.

• Like 4

I'm not much of a CM Punk fan, but he did usher in a new wave in WWE. He took ROH to new levels. I admit he rocked the wrestling world and belongs in any wrestling hall of fame. Even the biggest Punk critics must admit he was a one man army and a revolutionary.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, caley said:

I wouldn't go as far as Worst Promotion of the Year, but ROH's entire set-up is totally wrong with a dominant heel stable that runs roughshod over all the faces and humiliates and degrades them while the fans cheer for said heel stable, leading to guys stepping up to challenge the heel stable and get booed for it.  It's completely counter-productive to book Bullet Club as anything but faces right now.  It's actually more tone deaf than Roman Reigns: Hero of the People.

This post is a perfect description of ROH's major flaws. ROH television makes me hate the Young Bucks. The Bullet Club only works in Japan.

45 minutes ago, Matt788 said:

This post is a perfect description of ROH's major flaws. ROH television makes me hate the Young Bucks. The Bullet Club only works in Japan.

Adam Cole as the "leader" of the Bullet Club makes me hate the Young Bucks, but what can you do?  Bring in Kenny Omega?

The book in New Japan put Kenny Omega over in the fucking G1, so what incentive does he has to work some ROH dates in some National Guard armory somewhere?

Fuck that.  Omega's about as beloved as a North American can be in Japan.

I don't think Kenny Omega cares for ROH. He's the big thing in New Japan. why bother with ROH. Why bother to go anywhere when he is red hot there.

In Highspots Developmentally Speaking with Brian Myers/Hawkins, Omega seemed to insinuate that he has no plans to go back to WWE either.  Johnny Ace put him in deep south years ago and he hated it. However, it's a different WWE now and money talks, but Omega is to smart to go there.

by the way,all DVDR readers need to watch the entire five episodes of Developmentally Speaking wth Brian Myers as well as the Brian Myers solo shoot. Myers and his guests, particularly Omega and Naylor, are fascinating when telling stories of the political minefield of pre-NXT developmental. FASCINATING and I don't even like Highspots shoots. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

That is a RAW brand show so I have a strong suspicion they are going to do a women's EC match this year

And this has already changed since last night's WON update says the WWE has flip-flopped

EC is now a SDL show and Fastlane is the RAW one. This could change several more times.

It is definitely easier for SDL to fill a EC than RAW - that is for sure

They pretty much have until around the Rumble to make up their mind - a) for advertising reasons and b) because clearly the Rumble outcome will effect what their plans on

7 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Man...who thinks Sting isn't HOF material? Given it's Dave's readers it's got to be Ole right?

A blurb from WON re: Sting

While many remember best Sting’s from the 1990s, and it appeared is career was over when WCW folded in 2001, he had a second career from 2005 to 2013 in TNA. His Hall of Fame voting is an example of how nostalgia changes how things are viewed. Sting actually fell off the ballot with less than 10 percent of the votes shortly after WCW folded. While always pushed as one of the top stars with the promotion, the promotion wasn’t very successful with him on top, past 1997 when he wrestled one match.

His TNA career, because it prolonged his career as a headliner, made him someone who got support, but never came close to going in. He was always pushed hard in TNA as a signature babyface, and even did a heel turn, although in the end it was revealed in that turn that he was really a babyface who saw through the fakeness of Hulk Hogan before anyone else did. It’s funny that 2K Sports was largely responsible for Ultimate Warrior and Bill Goldberg returning to WWE television and getting deals with the company, but is probably also responsible for making Sting a Hall of Famer. While it is possible Sting’s situation would have turned out to be the same had he not been contacted by 2K, since TNA couldn’t afford him and him coming to WWE only made sense, there are still those, including Sting, who believe the deal never would have been made had his appearances in video game advertising not gotten such a huge reaction at the arenas.

Sting placed 10th among reporters, 9th among historians, 9th among former wrestlers and 3rd among active wrestlers for balanced support that easily put him over the top.

So

A) readers aren't the HOF voters

B) really only active wrestlers think he is

I am indifferent about Sting in the HOF (and really don't want this fight since I have read it enough over the years) but I look at it this way, no matter how much everyone pushed one way or the other - telling active wrestlers who grew up on Sting to not vote for him was like trying to tell me not to vote for Don Mattingly in the MLB HOF.

Pointless

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

CWC wasn't up for any awards right?  Because Dave said it wasn't a TV show lol. It was a weekly show that I watched for ten weeks straight but it wasn't a TV show. Cool.

The Emmy's and Golden Globes would call that a Mini Series. But I guess Dave has his own standards.

So I saw another Observer news blurb that the WWE is thinking of having Roman as a double champion to leech off UFC and Connor McGreggor. They can't possibly be this dumb. Roman as a double champion would be horrible. Owens on the other hand as a double champion could pull off the Connor shit talking heel that you'd need for someone to be a double champion.

I mean just when you think hate on Roman calms down, they might figure out a way to throw him back into the fire.

7 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

The Emmy's and Golden Globes would call that a Mini Series. But I guess Dave has his own standards.

Dave basically said it had to have 26 episodes.

So people pointed out that Ultimate Fighter only had like 20 per season but Dave was like "But more than one season airs during the year". So he adds the totals together.

And then people pointed out shows like Breaking Bad would only have like 13 shows a full year.

I don't remember how he tapped danced around that one but it made my head hurt.

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Who the fuck is James McLaughlin?

Had no clue until reading the Observer yesterday.  He actually has a fascinating story in that he went undefeated for the longest time in a collar-and-elbow wrestling style.  He ended up accidentally killing three guys due to being too strong but was very legendary for the time.  If you subscribe it's worth reading.  If not then Web Conn's response is good too.

@Matt788 I think the chance of Punk ever going in has passed after he walked out.  He wasn't that high on the voting to begin with, but him walking out didn't help matters.  Maybe if he knocked it out of the park in his UFC debut that might have helped.  But unless he goes back to wrestling there's no chance for him.  While I wholeheartedly agree he was a trailblazer and everything, Danielson did a ton is his own right to change the landscape to what it is today.  And unlike Punk he was more talented and is very much in WWE's good graces.  So for me instead of lamenting about Punk not being in I'll be over-the-moon happy to see Bryan inducted.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Matt788 said:

I don't think Kenny Omega cares for ROH. He's the big thing in New Japan. why bother with ROH. Why bother to go anywhere when he is red hot there.

In Highspots Developmentally Speaking with Brian Myers/Hawkins, Omega seemed to insinuate that he has no plans to go back to WWE either.  Johnny Ace put him in deep south years ago and he hated it. However, it's a different WWE now and money talks, but Omega is to smart to go there.

by the way,all DVDR readers need to watch the entire five episodes of Developmentally Speaking wth Brian Myers as well as the Brian Myers solo shoot. Myers and his guests, particularly Omega and Naylor, are fascinating when telling stories of the political minefield of pre-NXT developmental. FASCINATING and I don't even like Highspots shoots. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Doesn't Omega have visas issues that prevent him from entering the country?

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I think the chance of Punk ever going in has passed after he walked out.  He wasn't that high on the voting to begin with, but him walking out didn't help matters.  Maybe if he knocked it out of the park in his UFC debut that might have helped.  But unless he goes back to wrestling there's no chance for him.  While I wholeheartedly agree he was a trailblazer and everything, Danielson did a ton is his own right to change the landscape to what it is today.  And unlike Punk he was more talented and is very much in WWE's good graces.  So for me instead of lamenting about Punk not being in I'll be over-the-moon happy to see Bryan inducted.

Does Daniel Bryan main event Mania if Punk doesn't walk out?