DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - WINTER 2017

Dolfan in NYC

That Toronto - Montreal game last night was damned fun.  I never thought I'd say that about a 5-2 game. 

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/19/blog/post/3007773/title-starved-toronto-fc-beats-montreal-impact-in-instant-classic-to-advance-to-mls-cup

I woke up to a series of notifications about the Bournemouth game (I'm not signed up for Liv'pool spoilers). My head hurts. Watching now, but the result certainly highlights the importance of Joël Matip. God damn. Onwards and upwards. Going on yesterday's Hammers' performance at home against Arsenal and this match, next week's meeting could have 10+ goals should Matip not be the starting XI. 

FA Cup third round draw:

Spoiler

Ipswich Town v Lincoln/Oldham

Barrow v Rochdale

Manchester United v Reading

Hull v Swansea

Sunderland v Burnley

QPR v Blackburn

Millwall v Bournemouth

West Ham v Manchester City

Brighton v MK Dons/Charlton

Blackpool v Barnsley

Wigan v Nottm Forest

Birmingham v Newcastle

Chelsea v Notts County

Middlesbrough v Sheff Weds

West Brom v Derby County

Everton v Leicester

Liverpool v Newport/Plymouth

Wycombe v Northampton/Stourbridge

Watford v Burton Albion

Preston v Arsenal

Cardiff v Fulham

Stoke v Wolves

Cambridge Utd v Leeds

Bristol City v Shrewsbury/Fleetwood

Huddersfield v Port Vale

Tottenham v Aston Villa

Brentford v Halifax/Eastleigh

Bolton v Crystal Palace

Norwich v Southampton

Sutton Utd v AFC Wimbledon

Accrington v Luton

Rotherham v Oxford/Macclesfield

Of the English teams, Man City has the most favourable situation - they can't draw Bayern, Real, PSG (same pot), or Barca (same group), or for that matter Arsenal or Leicester (same country). So they can only draw Atleti, Juve, Napoli, Monaco or Dortmund. And yeah, there's no easy draws in the last 16, but there's tough and there's tough.

On 10.12.2016 at 0:52 AM, zev said:

@ReiseReise What are your thoughts on Leipzig's standing atop the Bundesliga? Any level of surprise there for you?

Not really. Not sure if their success will be longterm, but I kind of expected them to be fast out of the gates. Much like Hoffenheim in the 08/09 seasin. Money is no issue for the club and their staff is quite good at developing a concept and buying players accordingly. It will be interesting to see how they will handle their first loss, though. Hoffenheim imploded in their first season after topping the league midseason, but still finished a decent 8th in the end. I hope for sth similar for Leipzig ;)

• Like 1

Champs League draw:

• Man City vs Monaco
  • Real vs Napoli
  • Benfica vs Dortmund
  • Bayern Muncih vs Arsenal
  • Porto vs Juve
  • Leverkusen vs Atleti
  • PSG vs Barca
  • Sevilla vs Leicester

On 12/10/2016 at 10:10 PM, Chaos said:

Is noone else watching this MLS Cup? It's a sloppy game, and it feels like Toronto should have finished, but it's definitely a chippy, high drama game.

The fact that Seattle won the match without a single shot attempted is hilarious. AND THEIR LONG TORTURED 8 YEAR WAIT IS OVER!!!!! But seriously the only good thing about them winning is that it cost boy city a CCL spot