DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Season 3 Premiere of The A-Team was not looking promising.

The lady from the last five SAW movies I guess when she was a teenager.  Big shit.  Who cares.

The guy who played one of the Tattaglia's in THE GODFATHER  but not, like, the main Tattaglia.  Maybe that's something I guess.  But for an episode about mob guys shaking down a Miami resort that's pretty slim pickings.

Until...

the mayor or city council guy or whatever showed up and I freaked the fuck out because he was none other than Ben Piazza.

Sure, he only played three different characters on BARNEY MILLER and that puts him pretty low actually on that list.

But he was the guy who hires Walter Matthau in THE BAD NEWS BEARS.  The greatest baseball movie of all time.

If that doesn't bring his face into your brain pan, maybe this will:

"Frankly, they're offensive....SMELLING...."

YEAAAAAAHHHHH BEN PIAZZA IS THIS GUY!

BluesBrothers_151Pyxurz.jpg

Did you know that that same guy was in the original production of WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

Did you know that in 1964 he wrote a novel titled THE VERY STRANGE AND EXACT TRUTH that John Steinbeck called "A darn good book." and Tennessee Williams called "a truly brilliant novel."

What a world!
A-Team COMES THROUGH AGAIN!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Taken

Initial impressions: The lead guy seems too cookie cutter and generic and the sweater is ridiculous. But, um, I suppose a lot of middle-aged action movie fans will still watch it anyway?

I'm not sure what to think. This one could go either way. 

And he's not Irish.  

I wasn't paying attention and Amazon dropped S3 of Mozart In The Jungle a few days back. I love tis how so damn much and simply because it isn't your average sitcom (if you can classify it as that). I just wish more people were watching it here for discussion.

James

Loaded A-Team tonight.

First off, Charles Napier is back now in a recurring role as the newest running antagonist military guy chasing them.
CharlesNapierATeam.jpg

And then Stephanie Kramer, one of my biggest childhood crushes because she was Fred Dryer's partner Sgt. Dee Dee McColl on HUNTER a show that could easily lead to another running thread in its own right, although it's no A-Team...but still, Stephanie Kramer was the embodiment of 80s big-kinky-brunette-haired hotness.

hunter-neutral-hunter-tv-series-rick-hun

Plus the guy who was Laurie Strode's, like uncle or something in HALLOWEEN 6: THE CURSE OF MICHAEL MYERS, which believe it or not is only like the 4th worst Halloween movie.

Halloween6-Large-6.jpg

But all that is small potatoes compared to the villain...lady and gentlemen, I give you

Paul
Paul_Gleason_Breakfast_Club.jpg

Freaking
reginald-veljohnson-paul-gleason-die-har

Gleason
merry-new-year.jpg

Plus, and I swear hand to God, Paul Gleason at one point in this episode actually says the following:

"You guys are a bunch of real wise guys aren't you?"

Like, did you think he wouldn't?

Those Columbo episodes are supposedly going to be the ones made from 1989 and onward.

I'd be all in on Kolchak, except I think my MeTV affiliate's going to be broadcasting the 10pm news from the local NBC station instead.

34 minutes ago, zev said:

Those Columbo episodes are supposedly going to be the ones made from 1989 and onward.

Oof.  Those aren't so great.  It seems like maybe the old NBC ones are moving to COZI TV though, so if you have both you'll get a choice.  They also grabbed EMERGENCY! and THE ROCKFORD FILES.

Another day, another episode of The A-Team.  Another hilarious fight at the 12 minute mark. Another shocking plan falling apart at 32 mins.  Another amazing gearing up scene at 45 min. and another kick-ass running firefight where somehow no one get hit by a bullet at 52 mins.

Aaaaaaaand more amazing faces of people you don't know you know until you know you know them if you know what I mean.

Tonight:

After last night they ran into a guy from HALLOWEEN 6 tonight they up the ante by running into someone from from both HALLOWEEN 4: THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS and the criminally under-rated HALLOWEEN 5: THE REVENGE OF MICHAEL MYERS.  None other than

Beau "Sheriff Ben Meeker" Starr

600px-H4_14.jpg

If you don't remember Sheriff Meeker, maybe you remember his unfortunate daughter:

Spoiler

uqpuefo5m2gjeswkqxuu.jpg

tragically taken from us too soon, she was.

But if that's a little slasher nerd inside-baseball for you how about this guy:

film-the_monster_squad-1987-sean-andre_g

Yes. The Kid from MONSTER FREAKING SQUAD was in this episode too!

His actual name is Andre Gower, which means he's shown up numerous places to find people wanting him to sign photos of a distinguished-looking African American genlteman from HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET and BROOKLYN 99 and who were a little disappointed...that is until he explains that HES THE KID FORM THE MOSNTER FREAKIN G SUWQWAD!!!

That seems like enough, right? RIGHT?  But not for the A=Team baby!

You know you've seen this face before

9684.gif

but you're not sure where.  That's because it belongs to Art LaFleur who was literally in everything ever in the late 80s and early 90s.  THE SANDLOT, FIELD OF DREAMS, COBRA.

The funnest thing about his list of credits is how many shitty sequels there are to things that you didn't think had that many sequels.

THE SANTA CLAUSE 3
BEETHOVEN'S 4th
(4th!!!)
ACE VENTURA JR.

And hey, I'm pretty sure he got eaten in the amazing 1988 THE BLOB remake.

So what have you seen Art LaFleur in?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zev said:

Looking at his IMDb, I am now looking forward to seeing Art LafFleur in Bring Me The Head Of Lance Henriksen.

It looks like a low-budget kind of CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM with Tim Freaking Thomerson as the Larry David and a ton of character actors thrown in.  I am into it so much

• Like 1

Tonight's A-Team continues an unexpected trend...80s SLASHER ROYALTY!

But first, our adorable face you've seen a million places tonight is the father of our kidnapping victim.

11138509_138130228907.jpg

Look at that face! He's like a chubby Donald Plesance!

That Loomis-after-protein-shake face belongs to Dana Elcar, 174 credits strong on IMDB.  Mostly recognized by people my age as "that one guy who showed up to tell MacGuyver stuff" but also known as "the guy you call when you need a chubby annoyed police chief to yell at Baretta or a chubby annoyed general to hide something from Matlock or a chubby annoyed dad who doesn't want his daughter dating The Fall Guy."

mod6.jpg

LOOK AT THAT FACE!!!!

If ever there was a man that you looked at and said "I bet his name is Dana." It was Dana Elcar.

But looking like Sam-Loomis's-chunky-brother-Todd-Loomis-who-ins't-a-doctor-but-also-isn't-directly-responsible-for-a-series-of-murders-stretching-across-three-decades isn't an actual slasher tie-in...so...how about a deeper dive...for connoisseurs only...because Dana Elcar's missing daughter is played by none other than Leah "I was totally that super hot chick in THE BURNING" Ayres

hqdefault.jpg

There she is! She's sort of the Final Girl too, kind of...let's say yes because that makes her the third prominent slasher final girl to go on to get kidnapped on The A-Team!

Leah_Ayres_BayofBlood-262x272.jpg

Leah "I was also the blonde reporter who inexplicably shows up to bang Jean-Claude Van-Damme in BLOODSPORT and frankly Cropsy was less disturbing" Ayres.

Leah "They actually thought I could replace Jane Curtain in the t.v. version of 9 TO 5" Ayres.

Leah "Then they tried to use me to replace the real Marcia Brady in the New Brady Bunch Seriously that happened" Ayres
The_Bradys.jpg

Admit it, she's cute and blonde, so she probably got called every time they needed to re-cast anything with a cute blonde in it.

And she was in an episode of 21 JUMP STREET...which brings us to our main event.  yes, we've had one adorable character actor and one "girl from a movie only wierd nerds remember"...but we haven't had an aw, shit, that guy! yet....

So let's meet our bad guy for the night...

williams-steven6.jpg

AW SHIT IT'S THAT GUY!!!

Angry Lieutenant from 21 JUMP STREET.  Mr. X from X-Files "YOU AINT GON' GET ME KILLED MULDER...OH SHIT I"M DEAD" season 2!

And of course, slasher royalty because he's the guy who gets to deliver the worst exposition in the worst Friday the 13th movie ever...

friday9dukedeath1.jpg

HE CAN ONLY LIVE THROUGH A VORHEES...ONLY DIE THROUGH A VORHEES OR SOME DUMB SHIT I DON"T KNOW THIS MOVIE SUCKS.

Also George Peppard dressed like a Sleestak

200_s.gif

WHAT MORE CAN YOU WANT!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Tonight on a very special A-Team we've got two amazing people who show up and one is very. very special.  We'll get to him in a second.

But the first guy, like in he first shot

MV5BNTQ4MTkwOTQ4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDgy

was driving me crazy...yet another kindly soft old white guy with a face that says "You've probably seen me try to date Jessica Fletcher and Estelle Getty probably in the same week" and yet I couldn't quite place him.  

I could see him in lots of different kinds of sweaters with his goofy mug hiring Remington Steele and Simon AND Simon AND AIrwolf probably all in the same week.

and I finally had to give up and look him up. His name was James T Callahan and he was in RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD PART III

returndead3-2big.jpg

which is neat and it means he's hung out with Brian Yuzna which I assume is a trip. But that wasn't it...it was a head smacker when IMDB reminded me where I saw him the most...

220px-James_Callahan.jpg

HE WAS THE GRANDPA ON CHARLES IN CHARGE in its syndication years! OH SCHNAP! That means he probably bought coke from Willie Aames and probably shared some with Jennifer Runyon.
 jr51.JPG

GRATUITOUS PICTURE OF JENNIFER RUNYON!!!!! Holy shit JENNIFER RUNYON WAS NEVER ON A-TEAM!!!!

So that's pretty good I guess.  And no he didn't date Estelle Getty but he was old enough to play Bea Arthur's long lost high school writing teacher on the Golden Girls.  Which would make him about 324 years old c. 1990.

But I know what you're waiting for...an AAAAW SHIT, IT"S THAT GUY!!!

because this one I recognized instantly.  The bad guy's main hench dude...

280full.jpg

Even with his hair short you recognize him you monsters.

Spoiler

predator-billy-o.gif

AWWWWW SHIT, ITS THE DUDE IN PREDATOR THAT GOES THROUGH THAT WHOLE RITUAL ONLY GET EATEN OFFSCREEN IN LIKE THREE SECONDS!!!!

This is that same guy today:

57550.jpg

Oof.  I hope Jennifer Runyon is holding up better.

Plus they spent a big part of the episode driving around in and old GMC CCKW which is basically that old WWII truck you see them using on Like Hogan's Heroes all the time.

GMC_CCKW_SWB_6x6_Truck.jpg

LOOK AT THAT THINIG!!!
A-Team is literally unable to fail.

• Like 3