DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

45 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Among Keye Luke's 215 credits

He was also in one of my fav Trek episodes: the prison warden in Whom Gods Destroy with Steven Inhat and Yvonne Craig. 

I got to meet Yvonne Craig at a movie theater once in Oakland. She was signing green alien lady pictures and laughing about Shatner's bad breath.

• Like 4

Tonight's A-Team villain once again proving it was the greatest show ever:

Spoiler

KURTWOOD FUCKING SMITH!!!!!

ateambattleofbelair050210-02.jpg

Nuff said!  But it also has one of the more prolific "old guys who play judges on stuff" Michael Fairman who also wrote five pretty great episodes of WKRP IN CINCINNATI and was declared a suppresive person by the church of scientology in 2011.

Oh and a helicopter duel that ends when the bad guys helicopter crashes into a mountain and explodes and, because this is The A-Team, they then cut to Kurtwood Smith and the other two guys climbing out of the wreckage because NO ONE DIES ON THE A TEAM!!

• Like 1

Amazing A-Team casting update.  Tonight, in the same episode, and on opposite sides of the good-guy/bad-guy line we get:

JOHN EFFING AMOS! (playing a preacher trying to save a small town from evil moonshiners)

41wB9ss-YgL._SX385_.jpg

ROOTS, MARY TYLER MOORE, the Beastmaster, GOOD TIMES, DIE HARD 2, dr. doolittle 3, THE WEST WING, 2 1/2 men

and on the other side:

BO FRICKIN' HOPKINS! (playing an evil moonshiner)

8189-582.gif

THE WILD BUNCH, THE GETAWAY, AMERICAN GRAFFITI, more American graffiti, MIDNIGHT EXPRESS, tentacles

Also I think Mr. T just got laid.  And then after he just snuck out like, "Look the I gotta drive the truck..and you know, the army's after us and all...prolly gonna have to build a hovercraft out of some PVC pipe and balloons next week...so you know....bye."

• Like 1

Okay. This is too good. A-Team casting lady you have out done yourself.

Tonight a band of dessert pirates hijacking tour buses gives us not only:

Tony "The one guy in the corner of all the Rocky movies" Burton

4f7589212f928f561d21453c1f4ee6e4.jpgTHROW IN THE DAMN TOOOOOOOWEL!!

which is already enough to make you want to watch.  But then it throws in...and this is a really obscure one and I only caught it because of his amazing voice...

PARLEY BAER.

baer-parley-large.jpg

Parley Baer was in a lot of t.v. but before that he was one of the most famous radio actors back in the 30s and 40s.  His wheezy high-pitched voice was everywhere, not least, being Matt Dillon's sidekick "Chester" on Gunsmoke.

When the great radio writer Norman Corwin, who if you don't him you should get to know him if only for this:

When Norman Corwin wrote his most insane piece, a rhyming radio play FOR CHILDREN NO LESS in which Lucifer, Caligula, Ivan the Terrible, and Lucrezia Borgia plot from hell to murder Santa Claus, Parley Baer played Simon LeGree...SIMON FUCKING LEGREE was a character in radio play FOR CHILDREN NO LESS broadcast on CHRISTMAS EVE about an attempt to murder Santa Claus.

The 1940s didn't fuck around.

And if. that's. somehow. not. enough.  The old lady teacher who loses her shit in the classic BUFFY THE VAMPIRE episode "Band Candy" IS IN THIS TOO!!!

indexsgasgkla_sgjd.jpg

AND IF YOU NEED MORE:

Anthony James This guy:

in-the-heat-of-the-night.jpg

The creepy guy who ended up being

Spoiler

the killer

in IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, an all-time great film is IN THIS!

His last role?  The brothel owner in UNFORGIVEN

"Who's the fella that owns this shithole?"
"I own this establishment."

I mean, come on....COME ON!!!!!

• Like 2

Man, tonight's 'Last Man on Earth' was super-dark (Also still really funny) and I cannot wait until March to find out if 

Gail kills herself or not.  Seriously, a major network sitcom ended with a woman in an elevator picking up a gun, loading it with one bullet, then a long-distance exterior shot with the sound of a gun going off and the window lighting up outside.  I'm fairly certain she won't be dead, but it's still a pretty intense moment from a show with lines like "Farts are natural, Carol.  I took it as a sign of you being completely at ease and uninhibted.  I hope you do it again!"

11 hours ago, piranesi said:

AND IF YOU NEED MORE:

Anthony James This guy:

in-the-heat-of-the-night.jpg

I have only seen Anthony James play a good guy in one role and even that was a swerve:

buck3.jpg

Varek the mass phasing bodyguard of Seton Kellogg (FRANK GORSHIN IS A BBEG AGAIN~!) in the classic Buck Rogers In The 25th Century episode, THE PLOT TO KILL A CITY~!!!  who eventually betrays the villains in a fit of deus ex machina.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, caley said:

Man, tonight's 'Last Man on Earth' was super-dark (Also still really funny) and I cannot wait until March to find out if 

Reveal hidden contents

Gail kills herself or not.  Seriously, a major network sitcom ended with a woman in an elevator picking up a gun, loading it with one bullet, then a long-distance exterior shot with the sound of a gun going off and the window lighting up outside.  I'm fairly certain she won't be dead, but it's still a pretty intense moment from a show with lines like "Farts are natural, Carol.  I took it as a sign of you being completely at ease and uninhibted.  I hope you do it again!"

They also busted out another amazing Kinks song that was perfect for the ending. 

Quick A-Team blast.  Tonight Denniz Franz leads a car theft ring that leads right to the top of the mob!

So yeah Dennis Franz.  But whoopdeedoo.  Dennis Franz has been Dennis Franz forever and he's looked the same whether it's BBHB or ABHB (Before Beverly Hills Buntz or After Beverly Hills Buntz).

But the...out of nowhere, his main henchman walks in and it's like a ray of beautiful sunshine.  Peter?  PETER?

peter.jpg

PETER!!!!

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Netflix has officially cancelled Marco Polo after only two 10-episode seasons, which resulted in a reported $200 million dollar loss for the streaming service. After Marco Polo Season 2 launched globally on July 1 to poor reviews, the Weinstein Co. historical drama has now become the first Netflix series to be cancelled after two seasons.

That show sucked.  It was Da Vinci's Demons with none of the in jokes or acute self awareness.

If the show did anything right, it actually portrayed the Mongols in a positive light rather than resorting to the usual stereotypes.

So how does a show cause Netflix a loss? Like, they don't get advertising dollars during a show. They don't have ratings. They don't make money off of one particular show. They have subscribers. How can they say that Marco Polo was a $200 million loss for them? How is that measured?

5 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

So how does a show cause Netflix a loss? Like, they don't get advertising dollars during a show. They don't have ratings. They don't make money off of one particular show. They have subscribers. How can they say that Marco Polo was a $200 million loss for them? How is that measured?

I would assume they use viewership data to come up with estimates about how many people subscribe for a show or how much a show does to retain subscribers. Determine the show's value in some dollar figure from that. Compare that with the expense to make the show. The wrong number was $200 million larger than the other. 

The A-Team tonight was a clip show.  They ended season 2 with a goddamn clip show.  Like, I get having a clip episode of Different Strokes or Facts of Life or even She's the Sheriff.

But how is the A-Team gon' do a damn clip show?

But all is not lost because in the framing part of this FUCKING CLIP SHOW they managed to squeeze in

George "That guy from Space Balls" Wyner.
George+Wyner.jpg

Like, literally one of the top three schlubby nebbishy guys who played every Jewish lawyer (HILL STREET BLUES, FLETCH), doctor (DOOGIE HOWSER), goofy uncle (PERFECT STRANGERS), clueless authority figure (AMERICAN PIE 2), and bad blind date (THREE'S COMPANY) in the history of t.v.
0943927_1.jpeg
What a face!!!  I'm pretty sure George Wyner is about 23 years old in that picture.

But if that's not good enough for you jerks, we also got
Danny Wells AKA Luigi from the SUPER MARIO BROS. SUPER SHOW!

641849.jpg

Yes. This was a thing.  And I know some of you weirdos have this on blu ray or some shit. But if you don't, here's Danny Wells doing the plumber rap:

Although if you're really old he'll always be Charlie the Bartender on THE JEFFERSONS
mario_wells_jeffersons.jpg

THE JEFFERSONS is another show, for instance, where a clip show might be acceptable...unlike THE MOTHRFUCKING A TEAM!!!

But, yeah.  EVEN IN A CLIP SHOW they bring the goods on T. A-T babeeee!!!

• Like 2

If you still have any doubts of the greatness of this show, the clip show ended with a friendship montage between Dwight Shultz and Mr. T.

This fine song was written by the same guy who wrote the theme for THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO.

And for this, which he is also singing on:

This just goes deeper and deeper, people.

Wyner was introduced to producer Steven Bochco while appearing in Bochco's short-lived 1976 series, Delvecchio. This led to the role as Irwin Bernstein in Hill Street, and to roles in 4 subsequent Bochco productions: Doogie Howser, M.D., Brooklyn South, NYPD Blue and L.A. Law. Additionally, Wyner has appeared on the following programs for Hill Street's production company, MTM: Rhoda, The Bob Newhart Show, The White Shadow, WKRP in Cincinnati and Newhart