DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Oh yeah, forgot about Bad Santa (already watched about a quarter of it this year too). Really need to catch the sequel before it's out of theaters, which a friend of mine has already seen with his gal and said is twice as dirty. 

A Christmas Story is something you always watch a little bit of here and there when flipping through channels and end up watching way more of it than you expected.

21 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh yeah, forgot about Bad Santa (already watched about a quarter of it this year too). Really need to catch the sequel before it's out of theaters, which a friend of mine has already seen with his gal and said is twice as dirty. 

It was really filthy and the unrated version will make your eyes and ears burn if you're

The thing I remember most from watching it in theaters was the outcry from the dudes in the audience to rewind the part where Willie looses his shit when the big booty latina walks by.

We watch an awful lot of Christmas movies and specials in our house.  My top teneleven favorite Christmas movies:

1. A Christmas Story

2. White Christmas

3. Christmas Vacation

4. Die Hard

5. Elf

6. Home Alone

7. Scrooged

8. Bad Santa

9. Jingle All the Way

10. The Polar Express

11. Prancer

My wife, daughter and I all watch the Tim Allen Santa Clause movies, Arthur Christmas, and Home Alone 2 plus the main specials like Mickey's Christmas Carol, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Charlie Brown, Twas the Night Before Christmas, Rudolph and Frosty.  I usually watch Ernest Saves Christmas, Four Christmases, Fred Claus, Jack Frost(Michael Keaton), Die Hard 2, Christmas with the Kranks and Deck the Halls while I'm wrapping gifts.  Then I DVR a lot of the other Christmas specials like A Year Without a Santa Claus, Jack Frost(Rankin and Bass), Rudolph's Shiny New Year, Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July, Nestor the Long Eared Christmas Donkey, Frosty's Winter Wonderland, Shrek the Halls, and Toy Story That Time Forgot plus my daughter has Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Frosty Returns, The Little Drummer Boy, Cricket on the Hearth, and Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol on a DVD set and Mickey's Once and Twice Upon a Christmas as well as Prep and Landing 1 and 2 on DVD also--I will sit and watch these with her because she enjoys them and wants someone to watch them with her, even though some of them are pretty hard to sit through.  

We start the day after Thanksgiving when we get the tree and decorations down.  So far we've seen Home Alone and Elf twice, Home Alone 2 once, and then Rudolph, Frosty, the Grinch, Charlie Brown, A Year Without A Santa Claus, Jack Frost(Rankin and Bass), Rudolph's Shiny New Year, and Nestor.  We'll probably knock out the Santa Clause movies, Prancer, and The Polar Express this weekend at least, maybe Arthur Christmas too.  We'll probably watch The Little Drummer Boy at lunch tomorrow.  The week before Christmas with my daughter off of school we'll knock out most of the other specials--and probably watch Elf and the Home Alones another time or two, those are her favorites.

• Like 1

I am sentimental and nostalgic in my advancing age so I avoid watching old school Christmas animated specials like Jack Frost or A Very Merry Cricket (a Chuck Jones / WB holiday spin off from A Cricket In Times Square) like the plague.

I'd probably cut my wrists during the end credits for Nestor The Christmas Donkey .

I don't think he ever posted here, but we had quite the internet feud back in the day with Lance Storm over his displeasure about the idea that pro wrestling marks having the framework of criteria or scope of experience to review wrestling matches and rank workers. 

He was not a fan of the DVDVR 500.

CM Punk, Chris Hero and possibly Bubba Ray Dudley have posted here too. Also Jacey North and American Kickboxer for quite a long time. And a few yarders who wanted to let us know we've never been in the ring. Although almost all of us have been in a backyard at some point.

I watched Christine last night, for years I've been fascinated with the Christine Chubbuck story. At times it is quite hilarious but at it's heart it is a great character study of someone with severe mental issues. 

As for Christmas movies, I dug the picks thus far. My contributions that I haven't seen mentioned thus far would be Scrooge (The 1970 Christmas Carol musical starring Albert Finney) I'm of the belief whichever version of Christmas Carol you see first will be your favourite, that was my introduction to the story.  I will also recommend One Magic Christmas which features an inspired performance from Harry Dean Stanton as an angel. 

1.) Elf

2.) Santa's Slay

3.) Arthur Christmas

Turner's annual airing of A Christmas Story has turned me off of the movie since 1997.  It's just such a blatant ploy to create a "classic" and now it's infected TBS, TNT, and TCM.  Surely there are enough quality Christmas movies in the entire 130 year history of cinema to fill at least a week on TCM.

Would "A Charlie Brown Christmas" or that part of the Bring Crosby Christmas Special where him and Bowie sing Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth count as short films?

If not, then I'm going with Fowler's list.

More serious list:

1. Die Hard

2. A Muppet Christmas Carol

3. A Christmas Story

4. Home Alone (Christ I'm scraping the barrel now)

5. The Godfather (not really a Christmas movie, but I always watch it around the holiday)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AxB said:

CM Punk, Chris Hero and possibly Bubba Ray Dudley have posted here too. Also Jacey North and American Kickboxer for quite a long time.

Jacey North is on my XBox Friends List. He usually doesn't surface until the next CoD comes out.

On 12/7/2016 at 0:30 AM, J.T. said:

5, The animated adaptation of A Christmas Carol (1971) with ALASTAIR MOTHER FUCKING SIM~! as the voice of Scrooge. 

It started as a television special and people thought it was so good that ABC set up a theatrical run where it won an Oscar for Best Animated Short..

I just discovered this existed last year, and it's pretty awesome. It's really short though, and abbreviated to the point that I wonder whether kids who don't already know the story could follow it.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that listed Gremlins on their Christmas movie list.  I'm honestly not sure I had seen it since I was kid.  I remembered almost nothing about it and straight up lost it when Phoebe Cates tells about her dad dying in the chimney.  This was great to have on while wrapping gifts earlier tonight.  Definitely going in the rotation each year from here on out.