DVDVR Message Board

Living with Misophonia

Jerome Miller

Hey guys, I wanted to apologize for not posting as much over the last few weeks.

The last two weeks have been a very difficult time for my family as I was diagnosed as suffering from Misophonia, a psychological condition where certain sounds can cause me to become agitated and lose my temper.  So far, my doctors and I have identified the following "noises" as being the cause of considerable aggravation for me:

Babies and young childen crying or whining

The "door ajar" chime on mid-2000 Hyundais and Nissans

People from India/Pakistan speaking English

People speaking Spanish with a Mexican or Puerto Rican accent (I'm fine with people from Cuba and Spain speaking Spanish, I won't begin testing on Central/South American Spanish accents until next week)

People speaking Portugese with a Brazillian accent

Women with a thick "Longuy Land" or "Brooklyn Jewish" accent (basically any women who sounds like Joan Cusak from 'Working Girl.')

----------------------------

Anyways, needless to say this has been both a frightening development in my life as well as a huge relief, as my wife and children were afraid that I was a racist because I'd always be rude to people from Indian whenever they'd try to have a conversation with me, but now we know that it's all part of my handicap.

As some of you have noticed, I've started attending ROH/EVOLVE shows on a fairly regular basis, and if we should meet, please be aware of my handicap if I ask you to politetly move your conversation to somewhere else.

Thanks, and see you at the matches.

• RIPPA locked this topic