DVDVR Message Board

Heads Up Battle 2004- Necro v. Klein V. Eddie v. Brock

Phil Schneider

Tough call here. Those garbage matches are so hard to do well after you've seen enough of them. There wasn't enough to hold my interest the whole way in the context of the match. The striking was excellent, there were some nasty spots for sure, but all those careless weapon tosses and floor bumps blend together after a while. Eddie/Brock is a great underdog struggle against a cocky heel with two all-time greats, but the finish sours it a bit for me. I'd pick Eddie/Brock because I'll take one glaring blemish in one spot versus constant dull blemish throughout.

Still, NOAH was at its peak this year, and I'd take a few matches there over each.

Well Klein/Butcher is not really my cup of tea, never been a big fan of death matches, but I do love Necro in wild brawls. I enjoyed the hell out of the segments where they were trading punches and headbutts, amazing wrestling violence there but then there was too much of it was the kind of weapon-y violence that I personally just don't care for. Also the commentary was pretty distracting and I turned it down halfway through. Loved that it was a nasty hatefilled brawl, hated all the light tubes and tacks and salt and stuff like that.

Eddie/Brock is not a perfect match, but in my admittedly biased (as disliking death matches and loving Eddie) opinion, it's much better than Necro/Klein. Wonderful feel good match with the "under-sized" hero battling the giant killing machine and overcoming the odds (with the help of another giant killing machine which does take the match down a notch). And the pop and post match celebration is one of the best WWE moments ever.

I haven't watched Eddie/Brock in almost a decade. That's one of the most fun things about this project. I'm really curious how I'll react to it, since I was actually there live for it (most packed Cow Palace show I've ever attended, line wrapped allllll the way around the parking lot). Brock and Eddie were my two favorite wrestlers in the world when it happened, so quite the dream match for me. Really excited to watch it again.

I think they must have had a larger than expected walk-up crowd. They clearly weren't prepared to get people inside in a timely manner. I really wasn't exaggerating when I said the line wrapped all the way around the parking lot. It took us about 40 minutes to get inside, missed the cruiser dark match and made it in towards the end of the Bashams tag. 

10 hours ago, EricR said:

I think they must have had a larger than expected walk-up crowd. They clearly weren't prepared to get people inside in a timely manner. I really wasn't exaggerating when I said the line wrapped all the way around the parking lot. It took us about 40 minutes to get inside, missed the cruiser dark match and made it in towards the end of the Bashams tag. 

Is it true the Palace only has/had one entrance for attendees? That's just mind-boggling...

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

40 minutes? Ha, you should've been at Mania in Dallas this year!

Hide contents

It took 5 hours to get from the parking lot to my seat and the show was a turd.

That's (practically) where Tobe Hooper got the idea for Texas Chainsaw. I would have wanted to murder someone too