DVDVR Message Board

Good Matches Ruined By HORRIBLE Commentary

Thomas Bugg

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

What exactly happened to Mike Tenay? WCW? TNA? He went from the most calm and educated play by play guy ever to somebody battling West in volume.

He didn't have as big a role in WCW. I presume that he was told to amp it up. But considering he's not that kind of guy, it came off incredibly bad. Plus, he was reading from a script most of the time, like he was portraying an pbp guy. 

Yeah, he was ridiculous in those backstage bits. There's one Raw or ppv from that era, where he cuts the most belligerent, coke induced promo. Maybe somebody can remember it. I think it may have been when Jarrett and Road Dogg split at IYH 2. 

I went looking for that promo because that sounded like fun, but for some reason I ended up on an in-ring confrontation between Michael Hayes and Edge where Edge says that Hayes isn't going to attack him because he 'doesn't have the usual backup' and continues by saying, 'That's right: Terry Gordy is dead.' That was rather uncomfortable.

Fortunately it's immediately mitigated by Michael Hayes doing a hilariously awful sad face:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

I'm watching the 2nd Taker/HBK match and even though he didn't ruin the match, Matt Striker is extremely fucking annoying during the match. That's a match that only needed a two man booth. 

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

people like Stryker and a bit of the WWE PPV commentary suffer by knowing and saying too much.. They use too much trivia. It'd be like if they had the Super Bowl and Joe Buck was dropping stat trivia at random

The worst is guys like him and Otunga bringing up their inconsequential time as a wrestler. It's one thing if they're talking about how hard it is to become a wrestler or something like that but no Otunga, your one week tag-team title reign with John Cena doesn't make you an expert on tag-team wrestling. It'd be like Mark Madsen getting on commentary and bringing up the one three pointer he hit in his entire NBA career.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2017 at 10:46 PM, Cobra Commander said:

people like Stryker and a bit of the WWE PPV commentary suffer by knowing and saying too much.. They use too much trivia. It'd be like if they had the Super Bowl and Joe Buck was dropping stat trivia at random

That might have been better than Buck slobbering over the Pats all game actually  . . . . .

On 4/3/2017 at 8:48 AM, cwoy2j said:

It'd be like Mark Madsen getting on commentary and bringing up the one three pointer he hit in his entire NBA career.

At first I read this as Mark Madden and got really confused.

On Sunday, April 02, 2017 at 0:00 PM, Zartan said:

Was watching Rey/Puma on the greatest hits episode this week and I gave up about 5 minutes in because Stryker is SOOOOOOO fucking annoying. 

I think the worst thing Striker does is when he brings up biblical allusions and it's the most forced awful thing and Vampiro goes completely silent like he really can't believe that Striker is doing it again.

On Monday, April 03, 2017 at 5:48 AM, cwoy2j said:

The worst is guys like him and Otunga bringing up their inconsequential time as a wrestler. It's one thing if they're talking about how hard it is to become a wrestler or something like that but no Otunga, your one week tag-team title reign with John Cena doesn't make you an expert on tag-team wrestling. It'd be like Mark Madsen getting on commentary and bringing up the one three pointer he hit in his entire NBA career.

I got a kick out of Otunga talking this week about his time training (I think it was) Tye Dillinger at the performance center.  I'm sure the guy who began his training 6 years before Otunga did really benefited from Otunga's extensive experience! :lol:

• Like 1