DVDVR Message Board

Good Matches Ruined By HORRIBLE Commentary

Thomas Bugg

58 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

like a disgruntled postal employee?

That joke's tired, we haven't one of those in quite awhile last I checked. He'd be like a disgruntled uh.....white supremacist? I haven't been keeping up on my mass shootings by white guys at work places.

I agree.

I don't hate Ron Trongard or Dick Graham, but when either one of those two were with Superstar, it's god awful. Superstar was AWFUL. Craig DeGeorge stunk too, but he turned out to be all right at his job with the Miami Marlins. Those Boston shows with Pete Doherty were brutal as well. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2016 at 6:12 PM, Ryan said:

That joke's tired, we haven't one of those in quite awhile last I checked. He'd be like a disgruntled uh.....white supremacist? I haven't been keeping up on my mass shootings by white guys at work places.

Sounds like we are due for a comeback.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Trump said:

This thread has just turned into 'Least Favorite Commentators' - but for a specific good match ruined by horrible commentary - Taker/Edge at Mania 24 was the first thing that came to mind because Coachman totally ruined that one for me.

Coach was also pretty horrid during the Batista/Trips Hell in a Cell match.

• Like 1

Was there ever a time when Coachman wasn't horrid? Not everyone is meant to be a wrestling announcer. Todd Grisham was also the pits. I blame Kevin Dunn for this trend of non-wrestling people getting jobs as wrestling announcers. It's pro wrestling. It's never going to be 100% accepted by the mainstream. Fucking deal with it. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

That does make me think of how Michael Cole got into the WWE by way of Pettingill. Was Cole ever a fan?

I think he's stated before that he was a fan growing up. Since he's from somewhat upstate (I think), the (W)WWF was his home team. It's weird how that transition between Todd and Cole worked out, since they were friends outside of wrestling. I had no idea until I heard this one Pettingill interview explain it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started watching Lucha Underground. And for the first couple of episodes Striker & Vampiro seemed totally passable. I mean, I watch a lot of MMA so I'm OK at coping with bad commentary. And then in the 3rd episode Striker just starts masturbating over Catrina. Which is probably the single most annoying thing in wrestling: it's a visual medium. We're all watching. We can see that she is a very attractive woman. Yelling about how you hope she keeps jumping up & down (because her boobs might fall out of her dress) is totally unnecessary. Nobody watching actually cares what turns on the commentator, I'm just trying to enjoy Mil Muertes beating the shit out of someone. Just don't be so gross about it. It just reminded me of 1999 Jerry Lawler yelling puppies, which seemed a bit shit when I was 15.

I also dug out a stack of old ROH DVDs that were in the loft of parents house and have been watching that from the start. So a special mention to Gabe Sapolsky as a particularly shit commentator. He manages to break out the creepy leering over a woman with Alexis Laree at one point, but more often he just doesn't seem to understand the wrestling is supposed to be fun. He thinks Special K aren't heels because they drugged Joey Mercury at one point just for a laugh, but because they don't take wrestling seriously enough because they like to go out & party sometimes instead to nerding out over wrestling DVDs. There was also a line in a 10 man scramble about it being wrong for Joey to a 25 year old hanging out with all these 18 year olds and it was just really funny considering what happened to the guy who owned ROH in under 2 years time. No idea why anyone decided to make Gabe do Colour Commentary but it regularly distracts from the match with just how obnoxious he is

• Like 1

On 12/24/2016 at 3:52 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Was there ever a time when Coachman wasn't horrid? Not everyone is meant to be a wrestling announcer. Todd Grisham was also the pits. I blame Kevin Dunn for this trend of non-wrestling people getting jobs as wrestling announcers. It's pro wrestling. It's never going to be 100% accepted by the mainstream. Fucking deal with it. 

Todd Grisham is actually worse on ESPN, for what it's worth. 

On 1/13/2017 at 1:16 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Wait til you get Vampiro creeping out on commentary. He makes Striker sound innocent. 

Was it the Pentagon/Io Shirai match where he was grunting in the mic for like half of it? That would totally qualify for this thread.

Also, Striker completely ruined the Killshot/Moth WMD match. It's supposed to be a super serious feud-ender, and every line from him was some kind of war pun, with his usual obnoxious "do ya get it" cadence.

What the hell happened to Striker and Vampiro? They were pretty great in season 1 with some of their negative tendencies sneaking through here and there but overall they added to the matches. Since then, it's been a steady decline into garbage.

• 1 month later...