DVDVR Message Board

Good Matches Ruined By HORRIBLE Commentary

Thomas Bugg

21 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I cannot watch my FMW tapes from Tokyo Pop without turning the volume all the way down.  The two dudes on commentary blow goats.

You mean those home releases they had in stores nationwide? The commentary was so bad that it fucked up Mike Awesome/Masato Tanaka. How do you fuck up Awesome/Tanaka??

• Like 3

Matt Striker is doing is damndest to ruin LU. His "look how smart I am, even though anyone with a middle school education would understand this" references are bad enough, but his blatant creepy sexism makes attitude-era Lawler look well-adjusted. Easily the worst announcer in an otherwise good promotion.

If there's an afterlife, he should be forced to re-live his botched call from the main event finish of Survivor Series 2010 for eternity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thomas Bugg said:

Wait a minute, he botched the finish of a WWE PPV main event?? Details please?

Survivor Series 2010 was the main event of Wade Barrett vs. Randy Orton with Cena as ref where if Barrett lost Cena's career was over.

So when Orton pinned Barrett and Cena made the count - thus ending his career (for like one day), Striker screams all happily "JOHN CENA IS FREE!!!!"

Yeah.... not the reaction the WWE was going for Matt

12 hours ago, nofuture said:

You could probably add tonight's whole Lucha Underground episode with Vampiro progressively "getting off" during each match.

What bugs me is I really want to show people this episode, I really do.  Yet I don't know if I can with the way Vampiro was going on.  Do they still have the Spanish version on the weekend?  I'd be way better off with that.

• Like 1

Striker used to be SO good when he started out on commentary... the problem is he gets "creative" when left to his own devices. He's like a hyperactive puppy, you need to keep him on a short leash and give him lots of structuring.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

Striker used to be SO good when he started out on commentary... the problem is he gets "creative" when left to his own devices. He's like a hyperactive puppy, you need to keep him on a short leash and give him lots of structuring.

The worst was Striker marking out like crazy when Booker T returned at Royal Rumble a few years ago that Cole had to tell him to calm down.

• Like 2

I loved the Hog, and Dusty was great when he had something to mark out over or laugh at. C'mon, he had some of the most famous calls in wrestling history: 

"HE GOT A BICYCLE"

"THERE'S A LADY IN THE MEN'S RETHTROOM! Maybe she just stopped off for some relief" 

"He just wore his 'ol tired ass out" while laughing maniacally

I mean, c'mon, he's the only reason anyone could sit through a Public Enemy/Harlem Heat garbage match. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

GOOD LORD that is the epitome of awfulness right there. No further must we go.

The outlandish backstories they'd give for some of the guys were amazing. Personal favorite: Mike Awesome was an All-American defensive lineman on Dan Devine's Orange Bowl-bound Missouri Tigers. For those wondering, that was the 1969 college football season, and the commentary was on a 6-man tag from 1997, which would have made Awesome about 50 years old on that timeline. 

That's OK, though. In the 28 years between, he also recorded over 100 jumps as a paratrooper in the Green Berets, per the Tokyo POP team! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Why is The Hog holding a golden ship?

Pretty sure that's a shout-out to Bryan Alvarez, who once threw an epic tantrum about TNA which ended with him saying that he wished wrestling was more popular so he'd have more paying subscribers and could then spend the extra money on a gold boat.

• Like 3

Was it Starrcade 95 where Chono used a Yakuza Kick, as Tenay called it, and Dusty just didn't care for the name and said, "He kicked him in the mush!" or am I utterly remembering that wrong? I want to say Heenan was there egging on Dusty just because it was amusing.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Pretty sure that's a shout-out to Bryan Alvarez, who once threw an epic tantrum about TNA which ended with him saying that he wished wrestling was more popular so he'd have more paying subscribers and could then spend the extra money on a gold boat.

Yep.  Here it is.  Relevant part starts around 15 minutes in but it's all good.

• Like 1

Watch that Finlay-Regal SNME match where they beat the everloving crap out of each other and Dusty is the only one paying attention to vicious and amazing it is.  I never had a problem with Dusty's commentary because he was always enthusiastic and excited.

• Like 3