DVDVR Message Board

Tables, Ladders & Chairs VIII

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Maryse is Woman of the Year in WWE for her corsets alone.  She's the only one who can walk around in a rhinestone-studded bra and not look cheap.  Everything about her character is 100% money.

I'd go with Alexa. She's gotta be the breakout star of the draft. I enjoyed Becky getting a decent title reign, but I like seeing Alexa get the win. I could definitely go for some more matches between them. 

• Like 2

Talking Smack was excellent once again. Miz remains on fire. It sure feels like Samoa Joe is coming in as Bryan's proxy to fight Miz.

PPV itself was pretty good. The Main Event was wild. Finish made sense and it'll be great if AJ just destroys Ellsworth in a minute on Smackdown.

Corbin vs. Kalisto was very good too. Perfect big man/little man stuff. I'm a Corbin fan and it was good to see him deliver here in a big spot. WWE needs guys like him to be heels.

Miz vs Ziggler was pretty average until Miz did the figure 4 on the ladder. Everything after that was excellent.

The stuff with Orton infiltrating the Wyatts is interesting. It's actual mind games instead of the usual goofy stuff they do with Bray. I love Orton and Bray giving their belts to Harper to make him feel included.

I didn't care much for Alexa vs Becky. It was DUMB to put them in a tables match when the whole storyline was about Alexa tapping with her foot on the ropes. So they get put in a match where the armbar isn't even really a factor except for one spot. Even the table bump looked kinda weak.

• Like 1

The problem with Alexa winning is it pretty much invalidates Becky's title run. She didn't have a clean title defense.  Their last match was only won by Becky because the referee was incompetent and missed Alexa's foot on the rope. And now she loses outright with a barely average table bump.  Not a great way to showcase your #1 drafted woman.

• Like 1

I wasn't looking forward to the PPV much, but an SDL PPV over-delivers again.  Main was nuts and the explanation for the Ellsworth turn was so great.  Not too surprised by the turn.  The rationale is genius,  I kinda want AJ to murderize Ellsworth in the title match, only to slip on a banana peel and lose the belt, at which point Dean gets a shot and murderizes Ellsworth even more.

I've consistently enjoyed Miz since they split up him and Morrison, but this has to be the best year of his career, right?  It'll be a shame if he and Bryan don't get into the ring at some point (though I don't really want to see Bryan wrecking his health in the ring ever again).  If I was booking the feud, Miz would be submitting Bryan with the Cattle Mutilation to set up a Wrestlemania rematch.

Lost in the Miz stuff is how much they apparently hate Dolph.  It's wonderful.  Not only does the babyface lose the blow-off to the feud, he gets kicked in the nuts (literally), and submits to the heel's finisher - in a match where submissions don't count so there's no real reason to do the spot.  Michael Dolph Shane Michaels used to be a pretty good heel.  How the hell did he end up here?

Wish Becky had retained.  Her reaction afterwards makes me think she'll get some sort of redemption angle and get the title back.  In retrospect.

Looking forward to Tuesday's show.

Great stuff from SDL. Opening tag title match was kind of disappointingly short but effectively done and they worked a fast pace. The New Wyatt Family was the right team to beat Slater & Rhyno. Bray & Orton make a great duo thus far. I hope Slater & Rhyno stay in the tag mix for good and don't just split up any time soon. Nikki/Carmella was a fun brawl. Miz/Ziggler was another great one from them, thought Miz was legit injured when he fell from hanging on the title. Corbin/Kalisto exceeded my expectations and was very good. Loved Becky/Alexa as maybe my favorite of the night. It's been such an excellent feud and both women did top notch work throughout. Very happy for Alexa to get a well deserved title run. Looking forward to the feud presumably continuing further. Wild main event for sure. AJ's springboard 450 is the best. I was hoping Ellsworth wouldn't get involved as the match was so enjoyable with just Ambrose and Styles throwing everything at each other but it'll still be interesting to see what happens next.

What if you did a double turn with AJ and Dean?

Ambrose flips out on Ellsworth and AJ makes the save because Ellsworth has earned his respect by taking all these beatings and coming back for more?

If Cena is going with Taker at Mania, I'd consider using AJ as Daniel Bryan's representative vs Miz at Mania. Champion vs Champion. AJ beats him, Bryan puts Miz in the Yes Lock and you basically hand all of Bryan's goodwill over to AJ.

• Like 1

Tag Titles was short, but solid. Nikki/Carmella was good fun. Miz/Ziggler was fantastic and a great match to end their feud on. I love that Miz did it all on his own no less. Corbin/Kalisto was good. Be cky/Alexa was solid thogh I'm not really happy Alexa won. Cena/AJ was great, and the Ellsworth turn worked way better for me than I thought it would after Talking Smack. Speaking of Talking Smack, damn was it completely utterly awesome with Corbin needling Bryan and Miz straight up calling Bryan out for being such a terrible GM. Honestly this might have been my favorite WWE ppv this year. Every match was solid at worst with the IC & World title matches both being great. And then the addendum of an awesome Talking Smack episode made it all so very worthwhile.

57 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Chris Jericho, Roman Reigns, John Cena and Dean Ambrose's best match this year was against AJ Styles.

I disagree on Jericho. His best match was against New Day......while teaming with AJ Styles

• Like 3

Guess I'm in the minority, but I thought this was a mediocre show.

I do like the New Wyatt Family freebird-ing the tag titles. Hopefully Harper isn't just the Xavier Woods who only exists to eat the fall in non-title matches.

Carmella/Nikki was decent enough. Carmella has probably improved more than any of the draft call-ups. It's weird that they're just now getting around to figuring out Nattie attacked Nikki at Survivor Series when it's been obvious to everyone watching since it happened.

I'm glad Miz and Dolph are done. This was a fairly sloppy match with bad execution on a lot of the big spots, both guys forgetting which leg to work on, and bad timing on the ladder climbing that led to either someone having to sell a bump less than they should or someone to inexplicably not grab the belt when it was right there. Finish was funny, though.

Baron/Kalisto was way better than expected. That Deep 6 on the floor was really well done, as was the final chair toss. Best match on the show.

Say what you want about SD doing everything better than Raw, but the Alexa/Becky rivalry looks bush-league compared to Sasha/Charlotte. Nikki and Carmella had more intensity, and the finish was booty.

The main was good enough until the end, with AJ doing some of the most ridiculous shit for our entertainment. That bump he took into the chairs was nasty, and the springboard 450 with the face-plant was amazing too. The finish made no sense whatsoever, and was basically a WCW 2000 level swerve where you knew it was coming even though it didn't make sense. If Ellsworth wanted AJ to win, why did he distract him when AJ had the match well in hand? Why did AJ stop climbing when Ellsworth wasn't anywhere near close enough to stop him? Then AJ had to pretty much no-sell Dean's finisher on the steps to complete the finishing sequence. Just terrible booking and execution all around.

Also, what was up with the slow-mo fan reaction replays? Those were awful.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

AJ switching from Lycra to cotton tights proved to be a poor decision. 

That's what happens when George Costanza is your assistant to the traveling secretary. Try to slip a Seinfeld reference past me? Not bloody likely!

• Like 8

Man, this show is really different when you don't like Miz, Alexa, or Orton. 

Main was amazing. Not sure why Ellsworth came out right when AJ was about to win, though. Guess he's just a goofus.

Hated seeing Slater and Becky lose those titles. Probably not watching SD much after I go this week, and this Wyatt family shit is a big part of that.

Feel like there's been a Miz/Dolph match on my TV since the brand split and I'm beyond sick of it. Glad it's over, but I'm not that interested in this Miz/Bryan thing. This iteration of Miz was fun for a few weeks, but the guy just bores me in and out of the ring.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The finish makes sense though. Ellsworth explained his motivations on Talking Smack.  You can say he's delusional sure but that's the whole point of it.

His motivation for turning on Ambrose is immaterial, it's the fact that the guy he wanted to win was about to win, and he stopped it. If he comes out during a 50/50 spot and costs Ambrose, his explanation works. When AJ is about to win, then he stops it, the whole "I wanted AJ to win the whole time" angle looks pretty stupid.

18 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Guess I'm in the minority, but I thought this was a mediocre show.

I sort of agree with you.  Not a bad show, but I wasn't blown away by it.  The IC match got better after Miz did the Figure Four.  The tag match was fine, but needed a few more minutes.  Same with Nikki/Carmella--and what was with them having a No DQ match where they could be counted out?  That was stupid.  I already mentioned my reservations for Becky/Alexa.  Corbin/Kalisto was a lot more fun than I would have predicted.  Styles/Ambrose was good, AJ was great as always.   Ellsworth is crackers. Nothing he does right now will be logical.  He's drunk the Flavor Aid but somehow survived, so now he's a horse short of a merry-go-round.  There are holes in his thesis, but they can be covered pretty easily with the 'he's crazy' card.

In the context of pro wrestling though, that's to be expected when you walk out during someone else's match. Kayfabe wise, he wants AJ to win, so why even show his face when AJ is going up? He knows AJ will see him as a threat. I mean AJ does look stupid too, which contributes to the shittiness of the whole finish, but it's more "standard wrestling" stupid than "this is supposed to be smart writing but doesn't have any internal or external continuity" stupid.

I'm really surprised people are defending that finish. Ellsworth costing Ambrose is fine, and there are a lot of ways it could've been pulled off to make sense. They went with the least sensical option at every turn.

I think you guys are reaching on this one.

A good finish would've been both guys are climbing the ladder, Ellsworth runs in the ring with a chair behind AJ, pauses, circles around and cracks Dean (falling through a table optional). Conveys exactly the story everyone is trying to find in real version, with none of the logical inconsistencies or no-selling of weapon-assisted finishers.

• Like 1