DVDVR Message Board

2016 NCAAF: WEEK 13

Dolfan in NYC

I miss Colorado being good. They were very good when I was younger and just starting to get into football.  Anyway, it looks like this all comes down to B1G title game winner vs. Washington. I mean if Clemson loses then there's about to be a huge shit storm but if they win the committee will be deciding between two teams.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I miss Colorado being good. They were very good when I was younger and just starting to get into football.  Anyway, it looks like this all comes down to B1G title game winner vs. Washington. I mean if Clemson loses then there's about to be a huge shit storm but if they win the committee will be deciding between two teams.

Assuming Washington wins. If Colorado wins, I think the committee would take Wisconsin if they win. If Colorado and Penn State win, I think they chicken out on deciding between them and Michigan and take worthless Oklahoma just because they aren't in the head to head debate there.

If Clemson and Washington and Oklahoma were all to lose, you'd have 11-2 Colorado, 11-2 B1G champ, and 10-2 Michigan who beat both of them all with strong arguments. I think the committee likely thinks higher of Wisconsin (as Ohio State and Michigan by 7 are better loses than Pitt and Michigan by 39, although beating Ohio is better than anything on Wisconsin's resume.)

I still honestly feel if it comes down to a battle of two loss teams, Michigan would have the best resume (wins over Colorado, Pen Wisconsin and Penn State by 39, two loses by a combined 4 points both on the final play, one to a team that beat Oklahoma by three touchdowns in Norman.)

So then the big question is: do conference titles mean more than head to head and strength of schedule? Can the B1G get two teams? Why is anyone even considering the Big XII teams?

I don't think the committee will consider the Big XII unless all hell breaks loose. Alabama is in. Ohio St. is in.  I know there's people out there who still think Ohio St. ISN'T locked in but they are smoking crack rocks. Those two teams are in. Even if Bama were to lose to Florida, okay.. they would drop maybe to #2. Maybe.

Clemson wins and they are in.

I differ with Brian here on B1G title game and Pac-12 title game.  I don't think Colorado can get in unless they win and Clemson loses.  I think Michigan is out because I don't see the committee putting two B1G teams in the playoff and neither being the conference champion.

Yes, they are there to select the four best teams and Michigan has a stronger resume than say Colorado who they beat but I think they do not want to piss off the other conferences. There's still politics at play.

for the record, I think Washington and Wisconsin will win. I think they end up going with Washington. 

To be clear, I don't think Colorado has any chance of getting in, because of losing to Michigan.

I think if Colorado and Penn State both win, they'll punt on the tough choice and grab Oklahoma (barring a Cowboys win next week) because they won't want to take Michigan, and it being virtually impossible to justify taking a team Michigan beat by 39 that also has two losses, and nearly impossible to justify taking one Michigan beat by 17 and doesn't have a lot of major wins.

I think they can feasibly go around head to head for Wisconsin, given it was only by seven. But, no, I don't see any path to playoffs for Colorado.

If Va Tech and Colorado both win, I think it will be Oklahoma and Wisconsin if the Badgers win. If Penn State wins... Then I think they might legitimately have to take two non-champions from the same league.

All that said, I think we can all agree Bama has the best resume. Ohio State probably has the second best.  After that, it gets really hard to make a call, but I assume they'll default to best record and gladly take Clemson and Washington if they both win, because it's by far the easiest choice to defend. Given our limited knowledge of how the committee works, they've proven unwilling to make a hard choice between two teams with a razor thin margin (TCU/Baylor? Fuck it, we'll take Ohio State. Which wound up the right call, but still) which I think opens the door for the Sooners.

Oklahoma State lost to a 6-6 MAC team, I don't care about the circumstances. They aren't going, no matter how much Gundy bitches. Unless they win Bedlam by like fifty and both Clemson and Washington lose. And I think the committee would still be better off leaving them out.

15 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Pitt 76, Syracuse 61

In regulation

In football

12 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Navy's put up 75 points

In regulation

In football

And they're not the highest scoring team of the day.

501 rushing yards and nine rushing touchdowns. Long live the option.

Middle Tennessee: "Hold my drink"

They put up 77 on Florida Atlantic using the wildcat for the ENTIRE GAME after their QB got taken out on the first series. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ryan said:

When Florida shocks everyone and only loses by 50 instead of 80 it will turn college athletics upside down.

I kept up with their game last night, and my word--they have zero concept of how to play offense.  I know anything can happen and that's why you play the game.  But they're walking into their own funeral next Saturday.  If Alabama is clicking on all cylinders, Florida may lose by seven TDs.

I'm of the opinion McElwain has actually OVERachieved the past 2 years, given the complete lack of talent he inherited on offense and the almost-unprecedented rash of injuries they've had over that time.  They have no QB, no WRs except Callaway, a couple decent RBs, were constantly injured on OL last year and constantly injured on D this year...and dude still finds ways to win.

More talented teams (looking at you, Tennessee) have failed to do what he's done twice now.  That's good coaching.

I don't disagree with the injuries playing a factor but the schedule hasn't been bad. All McElwain has done is beat up (or struggle at times like with Florida Atlantic) on weaker teams and gotten destroyed when stepping up in competition.

His big win last year was against #3 Ole Miss and we knew they were overrated. Florida went on to go 10-4. Nothing else of note on the schedule. Got destroyed in the Citrus Bowl. Those ten wins included East Carolina, New Mexico St., Florida Atlantic (20-14 in OT), Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina,  Vandy (9-7).

This year his biggest win is against LSU who also doesn't have much of an offense. Wins against North Texas, Vandy, South Carolina, Kentucky, UMASS.  Blown out @ Arkansas.

I'm not saying he should be let go or anything but he hasn't been too impressive to me. Next year will be his year. There must be an improvement on offense.