DVDVR Message Board

Espectro Jr., Satanico y MS-1 vs. Mocho Cota, Sangre Chicana y La Fiera (9/30/83)

Phil Schneider

Have to hand it to MS-1, he is relentless if nothing else.  This time him and his lackies attack all three members at the onset and lay down another impressive beatdown.  I know Mocho Cota is someone to be on the lookout for based on the pre set podcast, and he was impressive here and incredibly lanky.  He hits a gusher and the rudos clearly take the first fall.  The build to the tecnicos comeback is awesome and the pop on the first punch is amazing.  The work with them rushing the ring and taking over was really neat and I do love how they will fight fire with fire and throw back nasty punches and do 3 on 1 beatdowns.  Satanico of course was a awesome as a prick person on top hitting kicks and also as a person begging off.  Match was probably too short overall to be a true classic but as a standalone on a set like this, it was a lot of fun and certainly deserves a spot.

B (***1/2)

This one is just wild. MS-1, Cota and Fiera come into this cueballed so you know some shit has been going down. The rudo jump at the start is so frenzied and this just feels like a straight-up fight. Great pop for the second fall tide-turn. Espectro Jr. has the worst mask and it gets what it deserves. A really spirited revenge match that doesn't wear out its welcome.

Yes yes yes, this is the shit I wanted out of this set.  Totally awesome, wild, violent trios.  I love a good rudos mugging and this was a great one in the first half of the match.  When the technicos come back the crowd goes so nuts that it sounds like the beaches of Normandy are being stormed next door and the comeback work is fantastic as well, loved Satanico submitting from Chicana's kicks.  Third fall is totally wild and awesome, Mocho Cota hitting the huge sliding dropkick through the ropes on MS1 while he was kicking Fiera was so great.  Everyone in this match was at the top of their game and this was just a top notch blitz of violence and heat.

This here is our first look at Los Infernales on this set, in fact it's the original lineup with Espectro. Well, they looked like Los Infernales to me so they looked pretty badass. This is a great chaotic hate filled brawl that never really let up. The first two falls follow the standard brawling trios formula, which is a great formula, and when you have all these great brawlers it really works. I'm talking about rudos jumping the babyfaces before the match starts and controlling things with a king of the mountain strategy while they isolate one guy in the ring. The babyfaces finally rally in the second fall and it feels like a huge moment, especially with the crowd coming unglued for it. I want more of this.

Espectro Jr. has the worst mask and it gets what it deserves.

You're nuts. His mask has this awesome b-movie quality that I love.

Los Infernales (Espectro Jr./MS-1/Satanico) vs. Los Guerreros (La Fiera/Mocho Cota/Sangre Chicana) (9/30/83)This is the week after the big hair match so MS-1 is bald and the fans are fucking molten for this one as the brawling starts immediately. This is straight up violence as you would want here from this grudge match as everyone is on a mission to beat someone's ass. The blood starts flowing and that raises the intensity level which even affects the fans as they start throwing garbage in the ring. This totally has a Memphis style feel to it as guys aren't giving a fuck as you see mask ripping and an awesome foule by Satanico who was pissed off. This was just some great fucking shit.

Holy crap!  This was great! 

One of my favorite things in Lucha is when, after an early Rudo beatdown, the Technicos get their shit together and make their comeback.  Crowd was hot for it in this one.  

Final fall has blood, fouls, mask ripping, people flying everywhere, it's great!

Number 2 for me right now.

I agree with Tim: that mask is going to give me nightmares for the next week.

MS-1 is lacking something without the hair. Think: bald Tully Blanchard. It just doesn't seem right. His two corner ring post bumps are great. He is the star of this set, one disc in. The best matches on the set so far are those that bring the hate and this match does just that. I'm all for more matches ending with kicks to the groin resulting in disqualifications.

Total sucker for matches that feel out of control, so this will finish high on my ballot. Hard to pick my favorite part of the match, though the garbage hitting MS-1 was great, as was the technicos running around the ring kicking the rudos from the apron during the third fall. LOVED the finish, as Satanico realizes that this is never going to turn back in their favor and just nut shots Chicana for the DQ.

The Espectro character and all his spinoffs are so cool. The mask would evolve over time.

MS1/2 :lol:

Normally I dislike tornado trios but this was no normal match. Early on it was like a mugging as Los Infernales jumped their rivals and never let up. The beating went on just the right length of time so that it didn't drag and the comeback was also really satisfying. Cota bled like a trooper after Satan bit his forehead. A real dogfight with nothing pretty and plenty of hatred. With the intensity level it didn't need long. The only downside was that nothing was settled on this day. It was a chapter in an ongoing story.

Lucha 1.8
Espectro Jr., Satanico y MS-1 vs. Mocho Cota, Sangre Chicana y La Fiera (9/30/83)

Anyone ever play Final Fight? This is like all of the goons from that come to life and fighting each other.

No real clue what's going on in the first five minues here but it's fun as hell. Newly bald MS-1 does a good King of the Mountain thing early on. Christ! That mask is scary! Espectro Jr could give the kids nightmares.

MS-1 and Espectro are like Team Evil here. Cool. They are doing a real number on Mocho Coto.  Pretty soon he's busted open. And now we get a comeback. Chaos here again, stuff happening all over the place.

The faces start triple teaming Satanico now. Then Espectro's in trouble. Hard to know where to look with this much stuff going on. There's a big kick to the balls. I don't know what's going on. Arghhh too much chaos.

Cota rips off Espectro's mask and his hair! I honestly couldn't tell you what is happening. So the faces have won?

B-

Wild, but also alienating in that I have no fucking clue what I just saw. Bit too random for my tastes. If someone asked me "what was the story of that match". My answer could only be "well a bunch of shit happened". I'm not sold on the idea that that's a great thing. If this exact match happened in a US ring, I'd say exactly the same thing. I can imagine there'll be people who'll really love this, but I'm not one of them.

Awesome brawl! Rudos vs rudos is the best when they actually act like rudos instead of one team deciding to play tecnicos. These two teams just went at it from the start with MS-1/Satanico/Espectro deciding the ring belonged to them and not letting any of their opponents enter without a beating. The comeback was fantastic since it wasn't set up a mile away and the crowd was just about ready to explode. The brawl extending into the third fall only with the tables turned made it all the better and I was okay with the low blow finish since the match was all about hate anyways.

One of the better matches of the disc.

This match was a total blast. It was a pier six brawl from start to finish but it was an awesome one. The rudos immediately attacking the techinos during their entrance with the crowd swarming was a holy shit moment to start. Chicana’s posting was nasty as fuck. I love how the rudos isolated him from the get go and just mugged him while keeping Fiera and Cota at bay. The rudos kick ass in the first fall and then in the second isolate Cota and bloody him up. I loved Fiera’s wild bump to the floor during all of this. The pop once the technicos take back over is massive and really tremendous. They storm the ring and shit and it’s just completely great. Chicana gets Satanico back for posting him earlier by posting his ass hard. Then Chicano and Satanico start to really go at it and Chicana punts Satanico in the balls. The technicos won the second fall earlier and we’re to Espectro getting isolated by the faces. They rip his mask off but before the refs DQ them Satanico gets the greatest payback low blow from behind of all time on Chicana for the DQ and the techinos win. This is a totally wild brawl in a totally wild atmosphere that creates immense fun. It’s not a great match really but it’s great fun and was the kind of stuff I wanted out of this set.

I’m giving this between three and four stars. Solid B I would think. It’s not quite a great match partly because it’s a continuation of feuds and setting up others, etc. but it does a damn good job of that. 

Another insane fight. Just what you think would happen if you mix some of the greatest brawlers ever together after 3 of them had just lost their hair. I don't get the criticism about Espectro Jr's mask - it looks like something from a cheesy 60s movie but it's creepy that anyone would actually wear that. Satanico was relentless here and may have been the best guy in the match - his knee strikes were just crazy. But everybody was great here, really. I also really loved all the kicks through the ropes and from the apron. Exactly something you'd do in such a fight. And the finish is just right aswell. Pretty cool that after the slow, exhaustive singles match we get this all out brawl.

• 2 weeks later...

This was chaotic as hell. I didn't have much of a clue what was going on, but I really enjoyed it anyway. With brawling this hate-filled, you don't really need to know all the personal stories at play. Mocho Cota looked like someone you really don't want to fuck with. MS-1 and Chicano picked up from where they left off in the last match. I loved the tecnicos saying enough is enough and just storming the ring for the second fall. They came off as real dicks at the finish though, isolating Espectro Jr and trying to take his mask. Shouldn't that be a dq? And then Satanico with the ball shot which totally came off like a babyface hope spot. Chicano had the best sell of a ball shot ever. This slips into second place so far.

THIS is what a heel team vs heel team match should be. It was fucking awesome.

This is probably Johnny's most spot on wrestling commentary ever. 

I also second Yo-Yo's on the idea I have no idea what just happened but it was pretty damn enjoyable. 

• 1 month later...

This match had plenty of jaw-dropping moments, but like others I was pretty darned confused about who was who.  I knew MS-1 and Chicana from the other match, but in my head Cota was the guy with the mask, and Satanico was the guy with the goatee who bled a lot.  Oh well, I'm sure I will figure it out more.  Also, again I watched this over multiple nights, which doesn't help.  I agree with the favorable comments, but probably tempered slightly.  It may take me a while to buy into the sudden switching of gears like when the beat-down team suddenly is destroying their opponents in the second fall.  It seems a little scripted and abrupt. But still, a fun match, and maybe number 2 for me as well so far.