DVDVR Message Board

Your HIP HOP COLLABORATION thread!

J.T.

Okay, since we're including DJs and MCs in the Collab criteria in addition to different MCs working together here are trip hop pioneers UNKLE (James Lavelle & Tim Goldsworthy) working with DJ Shadow and KOOL G RAP~????

That intro has one of the sickest beats ever recorded.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:04 PM, odessasteps said:

Since this ties in and it showed up in my feed, MC Serch telling the story of how Hammer put a hit on 3rd Bass. 

About 85% of that story is true, or at least I have heard a version of that story that is slightly different.

It is pretty well known that Hammer's brother, :Louis, had "ties" with the Rolling 60's Crips in Oaktown (ie. he was a major shot caller) so if the Crips were out to clip 3rd Bass, it was probably on Louis's orders after all that is his mama, too.  If there was some dirty to be done, Louis handled it so that Hammer could stay clean.

Search is giving Russell Simmons a lot of credit for brokering the We're All In The Same Gang deal, but that was Ice-T's baby and he did most of the heavy lifting.  He organized the cease fire between Hammer and NWA and got them into the same studio together.  NWA respected Ice because he also use to sling like Eazy did before getting into music and Ice still commanded quite a bit of street cred with some of the sets in LA.

I have no idea if there was a confrontation between Concepcion and Hammer, but I'd have to think that Mike would be smart enough not to openly diss West Coast in front of East Coast especially when Hammer's brother is also an OG with the same set but different crew..

Other than those two things, everything that Search said about the threats in general the incident at the mall, being smuggled into the awards show, and having security block off their floor of the Hyatt is totally legit.

40 minutes ago, J.T. said:

About 85% of that story is true, or at least I have heard a version of that story that is slightly different.

It is pretty well known that Hammer's brother, :Louis, had "ties" with the Rolling 60's Crips in Oaktown (ie. he was a major shot caller) so if the Crips were out to clip 3rd Bass, it was probably on Louis's orders after all that is his mama, too.  If there was some dirty to be done, Louis handled it so that Hammer could stay clean.

Search is giving Russell Simmons a lot of credit for brokering the We're All In The Same Gang deal, but that was Ice-T's baby and he did most of the heavy lifting.  He organized the cease fire between Hammer and NWA and got them into the same studio together.  NWA respected Ice because he also use to sling like Eazy did before getting into music and Ice still commanded quite a bit of street cred with some of the sets in LA.

I have no idea if there was a confrontation between Concepcion and Hammer, but I'd have to think that Mike would be smart enough not to openly diss West Coast in front of East Coast especially when Hammer's brother is also an OG with the same set but different crew..

Other than those two things, everything that Search said about the threats in general the incident at the mall, being smuggled into the awards show, and having security block off their floor of the Hyatt is totally legit.

Redman told a pretty hilarious story on a podcast about Hammer and his crew running up on him at a show.  Basically, Redman told a joke about Hammer didn't think it was funny.  Redman was doing a show and he saw Hammer and his boys walk in and they didn't look like they were there to see the show.  Redman pretty much dropped the mic and ran for his life.  He said he ran into Hammer in more friendly circumstances and Hammer was cool about it and they squashed it...but he made it very clear that Hammer is not a problem that you want.

It amazes me how much of a hard-ass (or wannabe hard-ass) Hammer is/was. I remember him describing how "for shizzle" type speaking was originally based in Oakland gang members trying to code their language to relate messages in jail and was like "how the fuck does Hammer know about that? Isn't he just the guy with the big pants who did that insufferable Addams Family song and went broke?"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It amazes me how much of a hard-ass (or wannabe hard-ass) Hammer is/was. I remember him describing how "for shizzle" type speaking was originally based in Oakland gang members trying to code their language to relate messages in jail and was like "how the fuck does Hammer know about that? Isn't he just the guy with the big pants who did that insufferable Addams Family song and went broke?"

Hammer started wearing those pants as an adult, before that he grew up in Oakland.  I'm in no way a hard ass, but when I grew up in the crack era in one of the most violent parts of the country.  If I was to become rich and famous, and people were out here putting my name in the street, there are plenty of people who I'd be able to call to get them to stop.  All of the beefs I remember Hammer having started with someone talking shit about him, because he was a dancing goof with funny pants.  

On 22/11/2016 at 5:47 PM, J.T. said:

Okay, since we're including DJs and MCs in the Collab criteria in addition to different MCs working together here are trip hop pioneers UNKLE (James Lavelle & Tim Goldsworthy) working with DJ Shadow and KOOL G RAP~????

That intro has one of the sickest beats ever recorded.

I haven't thought about UNKLE in years, they were amazing live, but maybe that was just me being on so much ecstasy that I broke two teeth.

Anyway, while I'm here, there should be some law compelling T-Love to make more music -

• Like 2

On 11/22/2016 at 4:18 PM, supremebve said:

Redman told a pretty hilarious story on a podcast about Hammer and his crew running up on him at a show.  Basically, Redman told a joke about Hammer didn't think it was funny.  Redman was doing a show and he saw Hammer and his boys walk in and they didn't look like they were there to see the show.  Redman pretty much dropped the mic and ran for his life.  He said he ran into Hammer in more friendly circumstances and Hammer was cool about it and they squashed it...but he made it very clear that Hammer is not a problem that you want.

Hammer had a solid link to some real heavy hitters.  He was not that dude to step to no matter how poofy you thought his pants were.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Hammer had a solid link to some real heavy hitters.  He was not that dude to step to no matter how poofy you thought his pants were.

I don't doubt it.  Redman's reaction to Hammer running up on him was essentially the same reaction I would have if the Gambino family ran up on me.  When he said that he dropped the microphone in the middle of his show and ran, I didn't have any doubts that Hammer and his boys were for real.

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2016 at 4:18 PM, supremebve said:

Look what I found. Starts at 2:12.

• Like 2