DVDVR Message Board

#205LIVE

RIPPA

10 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

A better 205 Live! No fly zone! 

Good... Tony Neese looks impressive, and does impressive stuff, but he’s an incredibly dull wrestler.

If Tony Neese won the title back in WCW he would’ve won it out of variety on WCW Saturday Night, and then lost it a day later on Nitro.

Announced for tonight

Lucha House Party (Metalik and Dorado) vs Singh Brothers

Tony Nese, Oney Lorcan & Jack Gallagher vs Drew Gulak, Ariya Daivari & Mike Kanellis

Oney and Daivari laid it out there for 20 minutes, beating the hell out of each other. Fantastic match.

I'm kind of surprised they let them have that match so close to Extreme Rules but we can probably chalk that up to "one hand doesn't know what the other is doing".

I hadn't watched this show in quite a while but caught the Singh Bros on there this weekend. My wife (East Indian background) and I got a kick out of them and then names for their moves. The Butter Chicken Beatdown is hilarious and the Pun-Jab is clever. My wife informed me that the latter works as a second pun too as "Panj" means "five" (Punjab means Land of the Five Rivers) meaning that you're getting five knuckles to the head too.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 8:26 PM, Swiftian said:

I hadn't watched this show in quite a while but caught the Singh Bros on there this weekend. My wife (East Indian background) and I got a kick out of them and then names for their moves. The Butter Chicken Beatdown is hilarious and the Pun-Jab is clever. My wife informed me that the latter works as a second pun too as "Panj" means "five" (Punjab means Land of the Five Rivers) meaning that you're getting five knuckles to the head too.

I'm glad to hear that tbh because I wasn't sure that some of the food puns weren't a bit much.

Yay on Gable-Gallagher, a match hardly anyone will watch ?

I like that The Chaos Theory is actually The Chaos Theory.

• Like 1

I will admit that I am looking forward to seeing a Spud match in WWE.

I rewatched Gable/Gallagher......and the crowd didn't really seem to care that much for the most part. Which really sucks.

I think Jack was a better babyface when he was full-on smiley Jack coming out to  Les Toréadors and carrying an umbrella, rather than being a miniaturized William Regal (which is what his theme music essentially implies). He definitely had a crowd connection when 205 Live first started that he just doesn't have now.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great match and I am happy to say 'it's the fans who are wrong' to a point, but I think it's fair to analyse why it didn't quite get over as it should.

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Don't get me wrong, it was a great match and I am happy to say 'it's the fans who are wrong' to a point, but I think it's fair to analyse why it didn't quite get over as it should.

The answer is always taping 205 after SmackDown. Part of the thrill of 205 is generally watching them taking the crowd from silence and scattered heckles of "boring" to that level of respectful engagement. They're fighting that uphill battle most weeks.

I wish Maverick vs Kanellis was going to be one of our classic no DQ 205 main events. Maybe down the line. Either way, pleased to see Drake finally getting a chance. He's had a few minor matches on Raw when they were teaming him with AOP. In the small pond that is 205, this will be big time. 

I am fairly sure I have seen better reactions for 205 Live main events. Granted they have tended to be no DQ matches, but nonetheless.

Also I think this is 'after Smackdown' thing is a bit overblown tbh. If the division was presented a bit more seriously it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

11 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I am fairly sure I have seen better reactions for 205 Live main events. Granted they have tended to be no DQ matches, but nonetheless.

Also I think this is 'after Smackdown' thing is a bit overblown tbh. If the division was presented a bit more seriously it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

The division is presented plenty seriously. It's just given zero promotion and has zero stars. Why should anyone care when they've already seen Kevin Owens and Charlotte Flair and New Day and Randy Orton and Samoa Joe? I don't care how good the matches are. That ceiling for audience engagement is low. 

And while you have seen better reactions, no DQ makes it easier. Things may vary slightly from week to week and town to town, but the trends are the same. 

Even taping before Raw or SmackDown would only be a slight marginal improvement. Nobody is there to see the cruiserweights. 

The solution is obviously to tie the brand to an NXT loop or do it at Full Sail. But that might add extra production cost. Nobody watches 205 so they'll probably kill the show off before they make any effort to improve it.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

They just announced Gulak vs the former Shane Strickland next week, non-title. 

This fucking show, man. 

Also, Gulak was on today's E&C podcast, in case anybody doesn't normally dip into that thread and wants to hear a great talk with the champ. 

On 7/19/2019 at 4:47 PM, christopher.annino said:

Also, Gulak was on today's E&C podcast, in case anybody doesn't normally dip into that thread and wants to hear a great talk with the champ. 

They also brought up how much it would rule if Gulak faced Chad Gable and now it's the only match I want. 

• Like 1

Gulak/Swerve was SO good. Just a fantastic job telling a story with the hand injury and a perfect way to introduce Swerve to the 205 world.

Happy to see Lady Ref Jess work tonight too!