DVDVR Message Board

#205LIVE

RIPPA

"Grand Metallica".  Gentleman Jack is a treasure.

Itami and Tozawa was... well, a match between Itami and Tozawa.  There's virtually no way a match with those two guys was going to be less than good and they certainly delivered by beating the snot out of each other for almost 20 minutes.

I could stand to watch Gulak and Metalik face each other a few more times as well.  They meshed really well in the ring.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FireThunder said:

"Grand Metallica".  Gentleman Jack is a treasure.

I was elated when I heard that.  Jack and Brian on commentary were a joy to listen to and for it being during Gulak/Metallik made it all the more better.

And Grand Metallica sounds like something where you'd have Mustaine and Newstead join the existing members on stage for a jam session.  It might and won't ever happen (unless you count the Big 4 shows where Megadeth was on the bill) but that'd be cool to see at least once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I was elated when I heard that.  Jack and Brian on commentary were a joy to listen to and for it being during Gulak/Metallik made it all the more better.

And Grand Metallica sounds like something where you'd have Mustaine and Newstead join the existing members on stage for a jam session.  It might and won't ever happen (unless you count the Big 4 shows where Megadeth was on the bill) but that'd be cool to see at least once.

That did happen. It was at their XXX anniversary series at The Fillmore. It's on YouTube 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

That did happen. It was at their XXX anniversary series at The Fillmore. It's on YouTube 

Shit, I forgot about that.  I saw bits and pieces of what people filmed but didn't see one of them altogether.  Thanks for the heads up.  EDIT: Damn, there's a lot more on YouTube than when I last checked.  Time to check them out.

On the 205 note, anybody else find it strange that Cedric was acting a little too cocky for a seemingly humble good guy?  They wouldn't be that crazy to do a heel turn with him, but I do see Buddy winning Tuesday because of Cedric's newfound cockiness.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Shit, I forgot about that.  I saw bits and pieces of what people filmed but didn't see one of them altogether.  Thanks for the heads up.  EDIT: Damn, there's a lot more on YouTube than when I last checked.  Time to check them out.

On the 205 note, anybody else find it strange that Cedric was acting a little too cocky for a seemingly humble good guy?  They wouldn't be that crazy to do a heel turn with him, but I do see Buddy winning Tuesday because of Cedric's newfound cockiness.

I think they even brought out Ron McGovern!

Edit: Ron McGovney.

Edited by Wyld Samurai
Yes, I know it's McGovney!
  • Like 2

... So yeah MOTY candidate. It would have been number 1 if Gargano wasn’t a thing but whoa that was a good ass match. Buddy has been packaged as the different CW being seen as the biggest one and all. The exchange in the beginning of the match put over each of their attributes. Buddy was clearly the stronger of the two but Cedric was faster and when it came technical shit, They were even. What I liked was the little bit of charisma that was shown by Cedric that he is completely devoid of outside the ring. Cedric has been doing the solo thumb point at himself thing since he came into the WWE and it was just a signature in his entrance. When he used it after partying the hurricarana, it reminded me of a bit of AJ Styles. There were several spots that were great such as Buddy throwing sweeping Cedric off his feet when the overconfident champ foolishly was posing on the announcer’s table. That was sickening. There was also that huge Michinoku Driver that Cedric pulled off while selling his back throughout that’s match. 

Overall the match arch had great story telling and both men brought it and dragged investment from a crowd adament on hating it or ignoring it. 20( is the A show for me and can’t wait for next week. 

• Like 2

Oh, we're just throwing another match of the year candidate out there, NBD.

There's something to be said about not having Cedric defend the title every week, it helps a match like this one have a real big fight feel to it.  Both guys worked their asses off to make each other look like a million bucks.  Just a fantastic match, all around.

Are they setting up Itami to be Cedric's next challenger?  The segment about him sure felt like it.

1 hour ago, FireThunder said:

Oh, we're just throwing another match of the year candidate out there, NBD.

There's something to be said about not having Cedric defend the title every week, it helps a match like this one have a real big fight feel to it.  Both guys worked their asses off to make each other look like a million bucks.  Just a fantastic match, all around.

Are they setting up Itami to be Cedric's next challenger?  The segment about him sure felt like it.

Going by Triple H’s formula, Itami definitely seems like a likely candidate. Since no one else has a storyline at the moment. Although I don’t think the Akira feud is over at all, HHH likes to space feuds apart so he can build heat. Regardless, I wonder how they are going to determine a new Number 1 contender. HHH usually has a series of matches or a big multi match to determine who is worthy because he wants the belt to feel prestigious. Since no one on 205 has been on a roll exactly, he is probably booking another multi match. Itami may be in it, Bate as well if his Indy schedule allows it and possibly Gulak.

Jesus Christ, Cedric and Buddy can go. And Buddy has been the common denominator for two MOTY candidates(at least within WWE) in the past, what, 3 weeks? Who the fuck would have imagined that 6 months ago? 

Cool moment at the end with Cedric celebrating with the family too. 

I'm invested. I'm invested in all 3 of these guys(Buddy/Cedric/Ali). It's time to add Hideo to the mix.

• Like 1

The discussion on matches you'd show people to get them into wrestling should include this match. Clear face/heel dynamic, great athleticism, some killer spots, solid storyline, and as good as Buddy has become the right guy went over. Sometimes it doesn't have to be that hard.

• Like 1

Didn't expect to see Lio Rush: Cartel Leader on 205 Live. Hopefully they bring Babatunde with him just for the hilarious visuals in size difference between him and all the Cruiserweights.

I said it last week and I'll say it again. I'm invested in Ali and Buddy and they fucking brought it once again tonight. And I was ready for Hideo to be added to the mix and this was the perfect way to do it tonight.

I could really do without Buddy spiking himself on reverse ranas though. Us plebeians aren't worth the future neck-fusion surgery.

• Like 1

I hate that it's going to be in front of mostly dead crowds, but Lio working front of big crowds just makes me smile.  Twitter misstep aside he always came across as a nice guy hungry for success.  Really glad to see how far he's come in a short time.  And this is my first time seeing the cartel leader gimmick and I quite like it.  I never saw him as a heel so it'll be interesting to see how he pulls this off.

• Like 1

I know nothing about Lio Rush outside of that twitter thing, but I like his vignette here.

I was happy to see Hideo interfere in the main event. You could tell he was happy playing heel.

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I hate that it's going to be in front of mostly dead crowds, but Lio working front of big crowds just makes me smile.  Twitter misstep aside he always came across as a nice guy hungry for success.  Really glad to see how far he's come in a short time.  And this is my first time seeing the cartel leader gimmick and I quite like it.  I never saw him as a heel so it'll be interesting to see how he pulls this off.

Hopefully he will do his super cocky attitude that he did in the Keith Lee matches in PWG because that will get the crowd to want to see him get knocked clean out. 

• Like 1

I'm down to watch a thousand match series between Ali and Murphy, but poor Buddy might cripple himself by the end of it.  Good God, that blind tornado DDT to the outside was fucking disgusting.

Hey, here's Itami to break up the festivities!  He needs a new finisher, you could tell the crowd died when he hit the Rube Goldberg Facebuster on Ali.

Kona Reeves can call himself the Finest, but I think we all know that Lio Rush is going to play that character a million times better than Reeves will.

• Like 1

This might have been the most disposable show of the new era.  The matches were fine but felt really generic to me.  Lucha House Party vs Gulak/Gallagher/Kendrick has been kinda rehashed over the last month to the point where I'm ready for all six men to move on.  Bonus points for the pinata with Gulak's picture on it, though.  And again, Ali/Nese is a fine match but it's been done quite often in the history of 205 Live.

Next week should be sweet though: the main event is Mustafa Ali vs Buddy Murphy vs Hideo Itami.

The return of Tom Mike to the purple brand!

Triple threat match was pretty fun.  I loved the moment when Hideo and Buddy were trading kicks to the back.  Buddy takes yet another reverse hurricanrana and brutal tornado DDT from Mustafa.  Spanish Fly from the announce table!  Hideo wins using his hesitation dropkick into an exposed turnbuckle to poor Mustafa.  I'm game for more dickish heel Hideo.