DVDVR Message Board

#205LIVE

RIPPA

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'd really love to see it be Gulak/Strong.

Yeah what sucks about this bracket is that every road of Wrestlemania for Cedric ends with a match that has already happened recently. He faced Gulak twice already. Has faced Ali recently. I doubt Mark Andrews is getting past Gulak and Murphy is not getting pat both Ali and Gulak.

11 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

Yeah what sucks about this bracket is that every road of Wrestlemania for Cedric ends with a match that has already happened recently. He faced Gulak twice already. Has faced Ali recently. I doubt Mark Andrews is getting past Gulak and Murphy is not getting pat both Ali and Gulak.

That is true, but it's a different Gulak that we're seeing (unless you want to go back to when the show first started but I don't count it)  Uber-face Cedric going against mean bastard Gulak who's bent on beating the piss out of him will make for an awesome matchup.

• Like 1

Cedric and Drew have had some great matches so far and combining their chemistry with the tweaks to Drew's character and Cedric's story of coming up short in the CWC and coming up short in his contendership for the title so far and you've got the makings of a classic bout.  I'm actually glad this'll likely be on the Mania preshow as it means they potentially have ample time to tell a terrific story in their match.  It would also be cool if on the 205 Live after Mania Maverick informs Drew that he's weighed in over the limit and isn't eligible to wrestle on the show, but that Daniel Bryan just offered him a full time Smackdown contract (a Gulak/Gable match is something I recently realized needs to happen).

One thing: when they did the bracket reveal, and Spud paused to let the crowd react after every name, Roddy was the only guy who got a pop. I wouldn't be shocked if that influences the booking going forward.

• Like 1

Maybe I missed it but man it was kind of sad to see the lack of reaction after Ali won.  That man gave everything he had and outside of the bumps he got nothing from the fans.  As other have noted that bump into the guard rail was gnarly, as was landing neck first on Jack's hamerlock throw into the turnbuckle.

Given how they're pushing the Lucha House Party as a unit, it'd be nice to see some other units get formed after the tournament.  It would make for some easy feuds and make random multi-man matches have a little more meaning.  But we shall see what Uncle H has in store for the show.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2018 at 12:45 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

That is true, but it's a different Gulak that we're seeing (unless you want to go back to when the show first started but I don't count it)  Uber-face Cedric going against mean bastard Gulak who's bent on beating the piss out of him will make for an awesome matchup.

It's more that I wanted something different then me doubting the match would do well. As much as I want Cedric to win or compete at Wrestlemania, I kind of want different than what I have seen from this show. Like his road to the tournament is fun. I don't think TJP and Cedric ever tangled in WWE without interference...I don't think. And Cedric and Strong would be great. Or if Strong loses, it could be Cedric vs Kalisto which again is great. It's underwhelming that Cedric vs Gulak looks to be the match set in stone with these brackets and I have already seen that match 4 times.

But I am going to call it and say that Cedric vs TJP will be match of the second round if not tournament and Strong vs Cedric will be match of the tournament if not a match of the year contender.

12 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

So what's the deal with Gargano having to leave NXT? The timing seems weird, because he'd be perfect for this tournament...

Some how, some way he's gonna be on TakeOver against Ciampa. Just how they tell the story to get there.

• Like 1

Blah blah, watch 205 Live, blah blah.

Two more great matches tonight.  Cedric/TJP took a while to hit it's stride, but when it did, it was really good.  And I was quite happy with Roddy/Kalisto.  Roderick showed he could hang with the quickest of cruiserweights and dished out a ton of punishment on his way to a win.  That end sequence was so smooth.

Cedric/Roddy is going to be awesome.

Roddy and Kalisto might be the 2 best wrestlers in this tournament (Though Gulak and Gallagher make it interesting), and while not everything in it clicked 100%, I'd love a series between these two. Roddy gets under rated as a base due to his small size, but him vs. quicker flyer types he can break is always fun.

Roddy/Kalisto was pretty great. Slick finishing sequence. I'm looking forward to the Battle of the Backbreakers. Cedric/Gulak still looks like the most obvious final but really any combo of the remaining guys would be pretty great. I hope more than 20 people are in the audience when it goes on the pre-show at Mania. I mean, ideally they'd do it at the Takeover the night before so it could really shine but oh well.

That was a fun episode an Roddy vs. Cedrick should be hard hitting fun in two weeks.  I'm kind of hoping Mustafa wins his block so we get him versus Roddy at Wrestlemania.

Also I think a Lucha House Party vs Roddy/Tozawa/Murphy match could be all sorts of awesome.

I find it odd that y'all are so convinced Roddy is winning as if they have not been building Cedric the entire past few months. He hasn't been pinned on TV since Enzo Amore essentially stole the win from him in the five pack challenge. And unlike Roddy, Cedric moveset wise actually resembles a cruiserweight and is a lot more versatile. The issue with 205 has been in terms of champions and matches, they have beeb catering to guys who are more grounded than the ideal cruiserweight like TJP and Gulak. Hell they even forced Neville to be more grounded for no other reason but to be a dick to fans of that style. Strong vs Gulak would be more of the same in spite of how great they are and on a card with Nak vs AJ on it, yeah, the CWs  match needs to stand out. Giving Strong a shot when he was not apart of the original roster nor was in the show in beginning over Cedric who would have take the title off Neville if he actually did not get hurt is kind of messed up because again, Cedric is playing backseat when he did not get his Rumble match because of Enzo and still hasn't gotten any PPV bonuses. If he gets to Wrestlemainia, his first PPV would be Wrestlemania. There is no doubt in my mind that Cedric is going to the finals. The iffy part is whether Gulak or Ali will meet him there.

As for the matches, both were incredible matches although they told very different stories. Cedric vs TJP was a story of TJP's growing insecurity. In the beginning, he was getting out tech'd by Cedric and out grappled which is unexpected in a match with someone with the caliber of TJP. The announcers pointed out that Cedric in spite of being the bigger guy has the speed, power, and athletic advantage over TJP so Cedric to be outwrestling him clearly frustrated TJP. Eventually TJP got his first submission after Cedric attempted his textbook Hilo and got intercepted into an armbar. The thing about TJP's style is that he does not use submissions as restholds. Every submission is used to convey tension as well as display his arrogance and in being in control. So the match turned into a game of Ceric breaking out of submissions thus further frustrating TJP who even had the hometown advantage. Eventually TJP resorted to cheating, but that didn't work so he hastily attempted his Detonation Kick only to get countered into a very abrupt Lumbar Check.

Kallisto vs Strong was just high impact. Kallisto has the speed advantage over Strong, but Strong just needed to catch Kalisto once and dish out the pain. Strong's offense is painful as hell. From his strikes and backbreakers, dude knows how to draw some reaction. That was a nasty bumb that Strong took from the top rope and after watching it seeing it a few times, I still can't discern what transpired. But that finishing sequence was amazing.

I think Cedric is probably going to win, but I'd rather Roddy did and think Roddy would be a better choice since he's literally the only guy getting any reaction on the show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never really thought about it this way before, and who knows if he’s an agent for the show, but Kyuubi pointing out how they’ve been so focused on mat wrestling as the cruiserweight made me immediately think “Well duh, Malenko’s the only cruiser agent they have.”