DVDVR Message Board

#205LIVE

RIPPA

Buddy Murphy?  Ok then.

Tozawa and Andrews had a heck of a match and *checks notes* Andrews won with a rollup reversal.  Huh.  I like seeing the new guys getting wins, but I'm really disappointed to see one of my favorites take an L in the first round.

And then the blood feud between Gulak and Nese continued.  In one swoop, we saw Drew Gulak rewrite his character.  Bloodthirsty Drew Gulak, out to hurt people, could be a good next step for him.  Grabbing Nese's beard and slapping the taste out of his mouth repeatedly was pretty great stuff.

Next week: Jack Gallagher vs Mustafa Ali (whyyyyyyyy) and Murphy vs Ariya Daivari.  Drake demanded that Gallagher bring back his "proper" wrestling gear so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

• Like 1

Weakest show of the reboot by far but still really good. Andrews-Tozawa was good, it just seemed like it took them a bit to get some chemistry going. Andrews winning was a surprise and they had some good stuff towards the end to make it more interesting. Nice to see the crowd into the "AH!" chant. Wish Tozawa won but I like Andrews.

Really happy for Buddy Murphy. I was just thinking the other day how he is another guy in NXT who keeps getting passed by for the indy signings despite a ton of talent and how he might never make it out of NXT but now he's coming up and from the vibe of his promo video and the fact that he's facing Daivari, he looks like he'll be a featured guy on 205.

Gulak-Nese was great storytelling with Nese seemingly out more for revenge than to move on and Gulak totally snapping. Him smacking the shit out of Nese was great and gives me hope for future matches against or teaming with Oney Lorcan. Great finish. I kind of hope they keep Drew as the dorky politician outside the ring but I can see him having a revelation of "I just remembered I can do that whenever I want so I'm forcing you fuckers to see the light." which is totally fine by me.

I hope Gallagher's "proper" gear is an old timey swimsuit style singlet. Or a singlet with a suit airbrushed on it.

Jesus Christ at Gulak.

I'm not kidding when I say that guy has almost everything to go to the top of the WWE. Can do comedy, can be serious, Heck of a promo, can get poorly conceived gimmicks over, and can work both story matches and match matches  with relative ease.

He's so good.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, DeathyBoy said:

Jesus Christ at Gulak.

I'm not kidding when I say that guy has almost everything to go to the top of the WWE. Can do comedy, can be serious, Heck of a promo, can get poorly conceived gimmicks over, and can work both story matches and match matches  with relative ease.

He's so good.

Gulak is amazing, they really should run with him at some point. Definitely deserves a run with the Cruiserweight belt, and then let's go from there! Amazing he came from CZW of all places...

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Irish Insider is claiming that he was told that the spot Buddy Murphy is in was originally supposed to be Lio Rush

Do with that what you will

That seems unlikely given the video package for Murphy and Rush's newness to NXT.

1 hour ago, #BlueJustice said:

Gulak is amazing, they really should run with him at some point. Definitely deserves a run with the Cruiserweight belt, and then let's go from there! Amazing he came from CZW of all places...

CZW isn't all ultraviolent matches. A lot of guys who aren't known for hardcore wrestling came through CZW.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That seems unlikely given the video package for Murphy and Rush's newness to NXT.

Considering their first promos for it they used Wesley Blake's photo instead of Murphy - I wouldn't give them too much credit for preparedness

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

CZW isn't all ultraviolent matches. A lot of guys who aren't known for hardcore wrestling came through CZW.

Yeah, that is fair. I actually used to watch a lot of CZW when I was younger, and was big into the ultraviolence for a long while. I didn't mean to knock the company in that sense.

44 minutes ago, DeathyBoy said:

Finally saw Roddy vs Itami

God damn.

While I'm sure Finn would say no, it's pretty clear a lot of guys WWE has hired would work great in this kind of setting.  

From a match standpoint, sure. But the dead, burned out crowd waiting for the advertised dark main event must be a morale killer. I mean, I honestly don't remember seeing a match that good in front of a crowd that disinterested since WCW threw Benoit and Malenko out in front of bikers in Sturgis. The five guys chanting "This is awesome" were just sad.

Fucking great match though.

15 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

From a match standpoint, sure. But the dead, burned out crowd waiting for the advertised dark main event must be a morale killer. I mean, I honestly don't remember seeing a match that good in front of a crowd that disinterested since WCW threw Benoit and Malenko out in front of bikers in Sturgis. The five guys chanting "This is awesome" were just sad.

Fucking great match though.

It was morale-killing just being part of that audience. You'd try to react, and people would shout at you that no, this was boring/awful/etc. People near me were acting like a barista messed up their coffee order after each near-fall. Honestly one of the strangest fan experiences I've had, wrestling or otherwise. I still loved the match, and I've wanted to see KENTA/Itami live forever, but... yeah. A lot of the crowd is burnt out, and thus reacts with no reaction at all, but the portion that actively resents watching wrestling at a wrestling show confuses me. (And I know Kansas City isn't a great or "smart" wrestling crowd, but I was still surprised by the severity of all this.)

This isn't really going to be surprising news but Meltzer on this morning's radio show said that basically Enzo being fired and Triple H being put in control wasn't coincidental.

The exact statement was "because no way Vince lets this type of show happen with Enzo because Enzo was the start of the show and you can't have a shown built around technical wrestling and great wrestlers with Enzo being the focal point of the show. That doesn't mix."

10 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That's all well and good, but if that's the case then why was Enzo put on there to begin with?  Something doesn't seem right about that.

Because Vince

The whole point was there was two visions of 205 Live - the original one and then the Enzo one with people doing wacky things (Plus - it was also punishing Enzo while helping "raise the profile" of 205 Live). Those where both Vince

When Enzo was canned Vince was basically "I don't want to book this anymore"

Triple H's vision was always "serious wrestling with a serious commissioner" thus what we are seeing