DVDVR Message Board

#205LIVE

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Hasn't stopped them from having TJP lose to other people who didn't even sniff the championship.

You are right. I just don't find a loss to TJP comparable to a loss to Enzo. Especially since unlike TJP, Enzo beat Bate clean. I just give it time. Dude has a ton of stock and I don't see the WWE misusing him in a division where everyone sans Noam Dar and Daivari are premium high class wrestlers. If anything, I can see him be next in line for a shor at the title holder.Okay, I am fantasy booking because I want to see Bate vs Alexander so fucking bad.

I'm sure to a casual fan, Enzo was more credible a threat/far more of a "star" than TJP, like early 1988 Islanders Haku and Honky Tonk Man. It'd be a bigger deal to beat Honky Tonk Man and you'd be more of a schlub if you got beat by Haku than HTM in 1988.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

You are right. I just don't find a loss to TJP comparable to a loss to Enzo. Especially since unlike TJP, Enzo beat Bate clean. I just give it time. Dude has a ton of stock and I don't see the WWE misusing him in a division where everyone sans Noam Dar and Daivari are premium high class wrestlers. If anything, I can see him be next in line for a shor at the title holder.Okay, I am fantasy booking because I want to see Bate vs Alexander so fucking bad.

Oh good God, are we still on this? Have a coke and a smile, man, it's just not that big a deal...

32 minutes ago, just drew said:

Oh good God, are we still on this? Have a coke and a smile, man, it's just not that big a deal...

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Spud/Drake was about 1.0 Trump with his tan. That, combined with the whitest teeth you've ever seen along with that suit were awesome. I look forward to all of the Drake Maverick cosplay.

And WTF is up with Tyler Bate dropping losses? 

giphy.gif

I wouldn't say this is the most fervent. And I've been enjoying a little renaissance here, what with learning about La Sombra and getting into the new guys on 205 Live. I just find it amusing that apparently kyuubi can't sleep at night b/c Enzo beat Tyler Bate once. Bate's nailing Enzo's ex, if it helps...

This was start to finish one of the best 205 shows they've done. Both tournament matches ruled, helped by the crowd not sitting on their hands waiting for the dark match. Dug the backstage promos. Spud is a breath of fresh air. What a difference a couple of weeks make, well worth giving it another chance if you have the time

• Like 1

At this point, I'd be fine with them running a 16 man round robin all year with the Cruiserweight Championship not being decided until Wrestlemania 35 if it means getting matches like the past 2 shows weekly. 

On 1/31/2018 at 11:01 PM, just drew said:

I wouldn't say this is the most fervent. And I've been enjoying a little renaissance here, what with learning about La Sombra and getting into the new guys on 205 Live. I just find it amusing that apparently kyuubi can't sleep at night b/c Enzo beat Tyler Bate once. Bate's nailing Enzo's ex, if it helps...

Liv just loves to date cheaters, apparently.

Only tuned in for Strong/Itami but man what an awesome match. Best cruiserweight match since probably Neville/Aries for me. More matches like that and 205 could be interesting again. I thought going in and think even more so now that it could've/should've been the final at Mania. Shocked that Strong went over as I thought for sure Itami was heading for the final. Great debut for Strong. Felt a bit bad for Itami to go out that early but I'm 100% in on wanting Strong to win the whole thing now. Roddy vs the World: Cruiserweight Edition

• Like 3

I'm going to have to rewatch Cedric vs. Ali because Strong vs. Itami might have topped it for best 205 match this year. This tournament is getting people to watch and look forward to 205 Live each week. Andrews vs. Tozawa should be great next week. 

Loved Strong bringing the stiffness and calling Itami KENTA then correcting himself. 

You know Nakamura and Styles backstage were watching that match and hoping they can bring that level of stiffness to Mania this year. 

• Like 3

On 2/1/2018 at 12:01 AM, just drew said:

You know what. Fuck it.

Let me tell you about why that match and Enzo going over pissed me off. You know, it might not seem like it, but I think the Miz is the best WWE type wrestler that they ever trained. The Miz is 98% of the time the guy in the match that is the least gifted in the ring by means of ability, strength, technical ability, or being physically gifted if not all of the aforementioned at once. His moveset is unremarkable save for 2 unique moves and he is the least athletic wrestler on the roster for his size. The Miz knows this, but he makes it work because he is willing to go in these matches thinking, "How am I, mediocre dude, able to beat this spectacularly physically gifted guy, and do so believably?" And the Miz is creative enough to not be easy in his shenanigans. Let's take his match last Monday Night against Apollo Crews where he beat him clean while also giving Apollo's best singles match he has since he got into the WWE. It wasn't a matter of the Miz not allowing Apollo to perform his moves or not allowing Apollo to display his ability. Quite the opposite. The Miz took the best of Apollo and sold wonderfully. That is the thing about the Miz. Whether it is against Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, Finn Balor, or Apollo Crews, he doesn't slow the match down or take the pace away from those very athletic and gifted guys because believably, he can't. He shouldn't be able to. So how does the Miz win? He uses their tendencies that those guys naturally do themselves against them. Against Apollo, he catches him doing the corner move he does when he is trying to gain momentum and slings him in the ropes.

The Miz has been doing this since Day One and honestly, I can't recall a time when Miz's in ring work got old for me. He is a fucking great wrestler.

Now Enzo was the laziest uninspired in ring worker that I have ever seen. In spite of being exactly like the Miz in that he is the most mundane person in a division of spectacularly gifted wrestlers. Enzo was the type of guy who did not bother to even study his opponent's ability. He just bumped and took stiff hits which isn't something to be admired.  So his opponent's acquiesced to his ability and deliberately watered and slowed down their offense so he can keep up. His match with Neville made sense because Neville was not taking the match seriously kayfabe wise. But Kalisto, Bate, Darr, and Cedric Alexander? They had to create contrived unnatural spots that goes against the psychology of these wrestlers just for Enzo to have a competitive match. Think that spot in the AOP vs Redragon match at Takeover where Akam got his leg caught in the ropes thus hindering his leg(ignoring that O'Reilly was kicking Akam in the shin 5 times prior to the spot)? That was every Enzo match in 205 Live. Bate was a prime example of this as he deliberately went against his psychology and slowed down against Enzo. The same Tyler bate that could outwrestle TJP, Gallagher, and Roderick Strong was just being bated by Enzo when in reality, Bate would just kick Enzo off the edge if Enzo was hanging outside the ropes. Bate would wait to just dive on him if Enzo was playing possom. Bate would literally not buy a thing that Enzo sold and would just destroy him. The match should have been a showcase for Tyler Bate. Instead it was typical Enzo bullshit where he wins making Tyler Bate look like a jobber. unlike his match with TJP where Bate looked great in spite of the loss even if I do believe that Tyler should have went over.

If Enzo had an iota of Miz's creativity and work ethic, maybe I wouldn't be hung up on the fact that he was even in this division or even competitive in it. But alas, the WWE is willing to forget the rat fuck ever existed and I get a 205 Live where the wrestlers aren't inhibited and there aren't goofy comedy sketches and stupid gimmicks like Tony Neese "I have abs like everyone else on the fucking roster", and Daivari's "Vince learned a new racial stereotype today" gimmick. His fuckup gave me the show I wanted since they started this shit, and so I praise Enzo for being the piece of shit that he was for avoiding repercussions for a quick gain at the expense of everybody but himself. So yay, thank Enzo.

• Like 3

I may have been alone in the arena in this one respect, but Roddy/Itami was the main reason I wanted to attend, and it delivered. One of the best matches I've seen in person. Still, I couldn't help but think how special it would have been in a different venue, with a totally involved crowd, and then to wonder as well what the loss meant for Itami's long-term prospects in WWE. But disregarding all that it could have been and might be, it was pretty great at the time.

Yeah, I think we're not too far away from seeing him kicking it out with Kenoh as KENTA. Or hell, being announced as the last entrant in the BOSJ. I wouldn't be sad to see him back in Japan, considering how his WWE tenure has gone--but if it's over, I'm glad I got to see this match.

• Like 1

Well that makes sense, then. I can't imagine how pissed off some of these guys must have been living within the confines of Enzo/Vince's 205, what a shit show.

All the matches so far have felt less like exhibitions and more like prizefighter matches, much like the original CWC or the UK tournament did. It's working.

I think adding new guys every week with the aid of a video package to understand their backstory actively helps too.

One thing, is Gulak going to go back to Philly brawler Gulak or will he keep the Powerpoint thing? He's built up far too much equity in the latter to simply go back to his CWC gimmick.

Shit I want Neville and/or Rey in this tournament. Ok I'm rambling

19 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

He never really got a fair shake even before the injuries. Debuting Balor as his partner so soon after Itami's own debut really overshadowed any aura he could've possibly had.

He was positioned above Balor in NXT.  He would have won the NXT title in Tokyo had he not gotten injured.