DVDVR Message Board

#205LIVE

RIPPA

I can't wait for Enzo to beat Gulak or Swann and then beat Itami, too. It's going to be wonderful. If I'm being honest, I would be super behind a Drew Gulak championship run, but Enzo is pretty fantastic so I'm pretty happy with how 205 Live is right now.

• Like 2

Enzo has been booked to be a sissy in the past, but I wonder if he's earned some respect from Vince and/or HHH with how he's gone out and made the best of it. HHH has talked at great length about how it was how he handled his post "curtain call" burial that earned him Vince's respect. I could see, especially given that Enzo has always been one of HHH's passion projects, HHH and Vince saying "you know what? We tried to run him off and he made the best of it. He's a great promo and is getting better in ring." They appear to not only be building the CW division around him, but now giving him the "odd couple" gimmick with Nia. In the past, that's been a big step for a mid carder. And this is just an aside, but anyone who tries to make the argument that Enzo has no upside or that Tyler Bate should be protected at the expense of a talent with multiple angles built around him is overlooking fact because their personal preferences regarding "movez" won't allow them to admit that right now, and probably in the future, Enzo provides the far greater opportunity for revenue and should be presented as such. 

42 minutes ago, just drew said:

giving him the "odd couple" gimmick with Nia. In the past, that's been a big step for a mid carder

You're going to have to name some examples here.

CSa7D8fUcAAbmdM.jpg

43 minutes ago, just drew said:

And this is just an aside, but anyone who tries to make the argument that Enzo has no upside or that Tyler Bate should be protected at the expense of a talent with multiple angles built around him is overlooking fact because their personal preferences regarding "movez" won't allow them to admit that right now, and probably in the future, Enzo provides the far greater opportunity for revenue and should be presented as such. 

Again - no one is making that argument.
Enzo's (in-storyline!) shitty ring work has nothing to do with the amount of moves he does.
Nobody said Enzo has no upside - you were the one making that argument about the other guys in the division.
And again - you can protect Tyler Bate without it being at anyone's "expense."

17 hours ago, just drew said:

And this is just an aside, but anyone who tries to make the argument that Enzo has no upside or that Tyler Bate should be protected at the expense of a talent with multiple angles built around him is overlooking fact because their personal preferences regarding "movez" won't allow them to admit that right now, and probably in the future, Enzo provides the far greater opportunity for revenue and should be presented as such. 

The thing is, if you're openly telling about planning a new show in an international territory, it doesn't make any sense to have that shows lead babyface cleanly lose to kayfabe the worst wrestler in the company, the guy who gets beaten up doing run ins. Especially when you're in that babyface's home country where you're hoping he'll be a draw. I appreciate Enzo needed a win going into the PPV, but why not use Mandrews or Tucker, guys you aren't hoping to make money with in the future?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

It's looking like it's leading to a Kendrick/Gallagher vs Kalisto/Metalik feud and now all I want is for them to have a double mustache vs mask match.

FTFY.

They need to sell copies of Gulak's powerpoint presentation in the WWE shop.  Available on diskettes that are only compatible with Windows 95.

And to top things off, Enzo is doing diddly shit in drawing interest in 205 Live. It was a flash in a pan. The show is still in the same state as it was in before he came over. He is not selling merchandise nor is he drawing much of a reaction within the show itself. In fact, it was the same reaction and rating bump when Sasha temporary came over as Swann's manager against Noam Darr and Alicia. So stop overhyping Enzo's impact in 205 Live in a viewership. He is not drawing viewers in the least. Because he was never a star to begin with. They could have just as easily brought over Finn Balor, a guy who has popularity and credibility kayfabe wise, to challenge Neville and be the champion. Maybe he would have made more of an impact, but regardless the main issue with the show is it's dead end time slot that is preceded by a full 2 hour Smackdown. They could put 205 on a different day like Friday at 8 or something with an alive audience.

There are things WWE could do to make the Cruiserweights not dead weight. Roman Reigns is having an open challenge for the IC title and the plan seems to be that he carries that into Wrestlemania. In the meantime, you could have one of the Cruiserweights challenge Roman in a 15 minute competitive match and lose. The guy who should do that is Cedric Alexander because he made a career of performing the moral victory. And since Finn Balor is doing jack shit, maybe have him involved in 205 Live as well. Make Seth Rolling drop 20 pounds and compete for the title as well. Compelling matches with stars behind it make title matches interesting and also builds up other stars. Monday, the Fatal 4way got massive reaction because of the storyline and animosity between Ali and Alexander as well the overarching storyline with the Zo train. It was their exchanges that got the match to react. And it worked because Cedric storyline is essentially him coming close to breaking due to constant attacks, and betrayals, and people just interfering in his matches. The man has never gotten a shot at the title and the one time he actually faced Neville, Darr interfered. He puts in the work and does most of the damage only for other guys to swoop in and take the wind from his sails. That is his story and it is finally paying off. Ali is a flashy wrestler who has contempt for Gulak's insistence of being more conservative. Tony Neese is a show off and Gulak is probably the one over the top character in that match and it in turn was a great match because of the characters involved.

On 12/4/2017 at 12:55 AM, Kyuubi said:

WWE needed someone to fill in for Finn Balor and make the card credible, they called AJ Styles, the Beyonce of WWE, to fill in and draw interest.

This is just ghastly on so many levels.

On 05/12/2017 at 4:27 PM, Beech27 said:

The "movez" argument is an especially facile one on this board, and about Bate, who isn't some superficial spot guy.

Unless Bates was moving to 205, there's no reason for him to beat Enzo. I mean the match shouldn't have been booked in that case, but when it was Enzo winning was the only plausible outcome.

Dunne was different - can't have UK champ losing clean. That belt is seen so rarely it has to be protected. 

6 hours ago, DeathyBoy said:

Unless Bates was moving to 205, there's no reason for him to beat Enzo. I mean the match shouldn't have been booked in that case, but when it was Enzo winning was the only plausible outcome.

Dunne was different - can't have UK champ losing clean. That belt is seen so rarely it has to be protected. 

Enzo winning is not the problem.

Enzo winning clean is the problem.

Why Drew, why?!?  That was heartwrenching.

Kalisto makes a great babyface-in-peril.  Gallagher beat him from pillar to post and stretched him out like... a... stretchy... thing.  Anyway, I'm glad to see that it's going to be Kalisto and Metalik going up against Gallagher and Kendrick in the future.

Next week: Hideo Itami continues his quest for respect on 205 Live.

I notice that 205Live's intro was quickly rendered Swann-free.

This might come across as harsh, but I don't feel that Swann's indefinite departure is a major loss to the show - it's not that he wasn't quite good, but I almost feel that his act was a bit played out on 205Live. In a different era, he'd have been a really good Velocity/Heat guy and he probably is a loss to the attempted tour, but somebody has to make way for Itami and Spud (and Gargano, probably Dunne, next year) and I don't really mind that it's Swann tbh.

• Like 1