DVDVR Message Board

Hardwired...to Self-Destruct by Metallica.

The Natural

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

There's always "I am the table" but Lou Reed probably wrote that one

That song redeemed itself in my eyes due to its constant use on Botchamania videos.  Take that out of the equation and yeah it was quite a perplexing song.  That whole album was a bunch of "Wait, what?!"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Maybe pre-St. Anger but it's pretty pedestrian compared to "My lifestyle determines my death style" or "She holds the pen that spells the end/She traces me and draws me in"

...okay, top two worst lyrics they ever wrote.

After a few listens I feel comfortable in saying this is my favorite album of theirs since Load. 

I am however with Fowler on Cyanide, that is one of their better songs of the last twenty years and could be a top 10 or 20 song of theirs. No one song is better than Cyanide but as a whole album, Hardwired is better than Death Magnetic and miles ahead of St. Anger and Reload. 

Metal Machine Music gave us the phrase, "My Week Beats Your Year." That's a top quality line for a heel to use. If there's such a thing as a heel in rock n roll, it was Lou Reed.

As far as track listings go, Lou wrote all the lyrics for Lulu, which was based on a couple of German plays. So yes, the Table line was courtesy of him, not Hetfield.

And "Junior Dad" in its entirety is longer than the original VU recording of "Sister Ray". Now that's something.

• Like 1

Gave the album a listen the other day... and yea for me after Burton died Metallica went from being a great metal band to being a band that does good covers and that is it.Add in that James voice keeps losing it power every year. I don't know if I outgrew Metallica or the change in sound once Burton was gone is what made me stop being a huge fan of them.

Metal Machine Music gave us the phrase, "My Week Beats Your Year." That's a top quality line for a heel to use. If there's such a thing as a heel in rock n roll, it was Lou Reed.

Amen. Nobody -- nobody -- liked Lou, and he didn't like anyone else either. Gave Lester Bangs a lot to write about in that respect. 

• Like 1

I'm going to say that Lou liked Laurie Anderson, his main Tai Chi Instructor, Sharon Jones, Anohni (Antony), and the guys he did the New York album and tour with. (Note: I'm biased as I went to one of those shows and it was fantastic, and everyone on stage seemed to be getting along.)

But to get back to the band of this thread, I do believe he challenged Lars to a street fight during the Lulu recordings.

Were there any reports of throwdowns during the recording of Hardwired?

On 11/17/2016 at 11:05 PM, Phantom Lord said:

I guess they were going for a visual album of sorts. Though if that's the case it sucks they didn't do an honest video for Atlas,Rise!

You should watch this one. This is probably the fastest and best song they've done in years.

This sounds like 1982 Metallica - Jaymz + 2016 James 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Been listening to this a lot the past week. I think I can safely say that to me it is their best album as a whole since at least the black album, maybe even since Master. It's such a good listen and compared to the last 20 years is refreshing to hear Metallica like this again. I don't think there is an outright bad song on the album as it just all flows so well. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That's some really smart marketing on their part.  Speaking of the tour I'm going to Philly.  They have a Baltimore show, but considering it's on a Wednesday and I take calls for work that's not doable.  A shame too since I could have walked to it from work.  But Philly has cheesesteaks and two full days to rest my voice.  But I'm really excited to go.  The double whammy of Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold (and I heard Volbeat is supposed to be really good too) is just impossible to pass up on.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Thanks Brian Fowler for giving me correct name. Need to listen to their stuff.

Volbeat, not Voivod.

I've seen A7X twice, they're a great live band. They and Volbeat are hitting my area on an off night in June, so I might very well see them both twice this summer if I can put together a trip to Detroit for Metallica.

I think Prince was the first guy to do the "album with ticket" thing, on his first tour playing his 80's hits in like a decade. It's a great move if you care about charts and can sell out stadiums, and aren't that worried about actual album sales.

• Like 1