DVDVR Message Board

Phil Schneider

Had to watch as I've seen the first one a bunch. It's not as good, the sprint idea worked better without the weapons and the strikes were more in prevalence. It's kind of got the law of diminishing returns, like Joe vs. Necro II. Still really good and really nuts. The sound of the first ram-style headbutt that Toby threw on the floor was ridiculous and then it just went from there. Again the strikes are worse than any of the weapons stuff. That Thunder Fire on the concrete was gross and Necro trying to destroy his shoulder on that dive (it reminded me of Hector Garza dying in that famous six-man in CMLL) was too. There's gotta be a better contender though for '04; Punk and Prazak do their best to drive this down, especially Punk who is checked out already and referencing Chappelle Show and shit for no reason. Did like the Raven Mack reference though and hope he's still alive out there somewhere...

I know Phil has always been partial to Necro/Toby but they had better matches

Others will say either Punk/Joe match - eh

I mean 2004 had the Kobashi/Akiyama match which was awesome and Takayama and Suzuki punching each other a lot.

If we are looking for a better garbage match - Cactus Jack vs. Randy Orton is better - and we all know how much I hate Randy Orton

I'm not really good at "defending matches," but if we can just make mentions of ones for sake of consideration, how about either Victoria vs. Molly Holly or Guerrero vs. Angle from WM 20?

I vividly remember watching Akiyama vs. Kobashi from 2004 for the first time. I was a Saturday night in college, I drew the DD straw for the evening, and when my housemates all crashed at the end of the night, this baby was fully downloaded in my Kazaa account. A close runner-up for me from 2004 is Eddie vs. Brock. 

Kobashi/Takayama seems like a worthy challenger, but let's not overlook Misawa/Ogawa vs. Saito/Inoue. It's about as close to heel Misawa as we ever got, and the underdog story worked so well with Inoue. Very good chance it's the best career match for three of the four participants.

I also need to re-watch Aries/Joe from Final Battle. I remember liking it a lot, but I haven't seen it in probably 10 years.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I know Phil has always been partial to Necro/Toby but they had better matches

You're just cross we dumped on your LCO tag :)

And I'm actually the one who pushed through this match, over the match Phil wanted (which is likely the better match and will probably usurp the 2004 title, though it shockingly hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet), so any critiques of this pick can go straight to me. I love this match and think it smokes the 2003 sprint. I think it's maybe the most violent thing I've seen, and perhaps Necro's best all time performance. Yeah it had two shitheads making Reservoir Dogs references like they were the first assholes to quote Tarantino (I'm sure we got a real fresh Royale with Cheese bit later in the show), but I loved all off this match.

Yeah it had two shitheads making Reservoir Dogs references like they were the first assholes to quote Tarantino (I'm sure we got a real fresh Royale with Cheese bit later in the show

That was the other one that really grated on my nerves. At least the Chappelle joke was topical! 

EDIT: Looking on the external, I did have Necro/Klein '04 on there after all. My memory is shot; I didn't think I'd ever seen it... Heh, there's also Joe/Punk broadway, don't think I ever finished it

15 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

That's not even the year's best Kobashi match. This is:

I'd go with Eddy/Brock as MOTY, though.

I was just starting to discover NOAH in 2004, which is the same time Fox Sports Net was constantly airing PRIDE during weekday afternoons when I had a break between class and work. Needless to say, I saw a lot of Takayama that year and couldn't help but wonder how the guy was still alive. 

Top of my head there's Kenta Kobashi vs. Jun Akiyama and Yoshihiro Takayama, Brock Lesnar vs. Eddie Guerrero at No Way Out, Randy Orton vs. Mick Foley from Backlash, Eddie Guerrero vs. JBL at Judgment Day. The Joe vs. Punk ttrilogy, I'm particularly fond of the second and third match in the series. Overall though, I'd still give the nod to Kobashi vs. Akiyama.

My memory is shit so I would need to rewatch these to remember which was great and which ones made me sad (but it might jog someone's memory)

Averno vs. Zumbido (09/03/04)

Averno vs. El Hijo del Santo (10/22/04)

L.A. Park vs Ultimo Guerrero  (04/18/04)

There is also a El Hijo Del Santo vs. Perro Aguayo Jr. match that people love but I can't remember which one