DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 99: Mousasi vs. Hall II (11/19/2016) - Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (The SSE Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Belfast_Mousasi_vs._Hall

UFC Fight Night 99: Mousasi vs. Hall II 
November 19, 2016
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (The SSE Arena)

Gegard Mousasi (184) vs. Uriah Hall (185) - Mousasi, TKO (punches), R1 (4:37)
Ross Pearson (156) vs. Stevie Ray (155) - Ray, DEC (split)
Timothy Johnson (264) vs. Alexander Volkov (249) - Volkov, DEC (split)
Artem Lobov (144) vs. Teruto Ishihara (146) - Lobov, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Magnus Cedenblad (185) vs. Jack Marshman (184) - Marshman, TKO (punches), R2 (3:32)
Kyoji Horiguchi (125) vs. Ali Bagautinov (126) - Horiguchi, DEC (unanimous)
Kevin Lee (155) vs. Magomed Mustafev (156) - Lee, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:31)
Anna Elmose (116) vs. Amanda Cooper (116) - Cooper, DEC (unanimous)
Justin Ledet (240) vs. Mark Godbeer (238) - Ledet, SUB (armbar), R1 (2:16)
Zak Cummings (172.8)* vs. Alexander Yakovlev (171) - Cummings, SUB (straight armbar), R2 (4:02)
Marion Reneau (135) vs. Milana Dudieva (135) - Reneau, TKO (punches and elbows), R3 (3:03)
Brett Johns (136) vs. Kwan Ho Kwak (136) - Johns, DEC (unanimous)
Charlie Ward (169) vs. Abdul Razak Alhassan (170) - Alhassan, KO (punch), R1 (0:53)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Abdul Razak Alhassan
Performance of the Night: Justin Ledet
Performance of the Night: Kevin Lee
Performance of the Night: Jack Marshman

Attendance: 7,222
Gate: $850,000

Cancelled Bouts:
Gunnar Nelson vs. Dong Hyun Kim - Injury to Nelson (Ankle)
Ross Pearson vs. James Krause - Injury to Krause (Torn Hamstring)
Ian McCall vs. Neil Seery - McCall Removed Due to Illness

1 hour ago, Liam said:

This likely to be a worthwhile card, considering I have BT sport and nothing much better to do.

The prelim undercard has been fairly decent. Some notes:

- Razak Alhassan spoiled the debut of Charlie Ward. I dunno why Bellator chose not to sign Alhassan and have him fight on their early December card and just let him go to the UFC as an injury replacement. He's a very solid prospect as this performance showed.

- Johns-Kwak was pretty fun to watch. Johns cut a funny promo afterwards and asks Sean Shelby to give him someone easier.

- Dudieva-Reneau was ok. Dudieva really needs to work on her cardio. Seems like she only fight in spurts. Reneau would be more intriguing to watch if she was younger. She's basically an older woman who fights like someone just introduced to the sport (which is what she is to be fair). She has some tools (especially in top position), but it's hard to watch someone fight like a raw prospect when you know the top of the division has more athleticism and skills. Well, Marion did call out Bethe so I would be fine with that fight.

- Zak Cummings could be a decent welterweight gatekeeper. He won with a nifty straight armbar.

- Ledet did what he needed to do against Godbeer. Sidenote: if anyone ever wanted to do a Riddick Bowe biopic, Ledet has to get the role of Jorge Luis Gonzalez. He has the semi shag in the back and everything.

- Elmose vs. Cooper was decent, but I think suffered the same as the previous women's contest.  I think Cooper is okay as a fighter, but once she gets into the meat of 115, it's going to be really tough. Cooper has to find something that separates her from the pack of other young fighters at 115. If she doesn't, she will be lost in the shuffle.

- I think it's time to get Kevin Lee some top fighters at 155. I think he can win against some tough guys in the division.

- Horiguchi won convincingly against Bagautinov. Fun fight and good performance from Horiguchi.

- Marshman had a good performance against Cedenblad. Cedenblad was trying to get him down and keep him there, but Marshman just starched him when it was there for any significant time. That's what he will need to do if he wants to be a contender at middleweight while he improves his TD defense.

I think the commentators during Lobov vs Ishihara got a bit too caught up in calling the fight for Lobov. Ishihara lit him up with lowkicks in the first, to the point where Lobov went Southpaw for the rest of the fight, and they never acknowledged it. If it wasn't for Ish getting that knockdown in the second, it would have sounded like they were commentating on Lobov ve Heavy bag, and it was a pretty even fight.

One of the judges was a bit wonky all (televised) night though.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Pearson is going to retain his job. The dude is willing to fight whenever.

Hall took the Mousasi rematch when he didn't have to. He could have just skated along and kept that victory.

yeah, Pearson fought FIVE times in 2016. sure, 4 of them were losses, but that definitely counts for something. interestlingly enough, 4 of those fights also involved a short-notice replacement.

a Bader-Gustafsson match-up would probably be the best use of both guys. if they didn't want to go that route, then i'd suggest Bader-Manuwa and Gus-Glover.   unless Rumble wins the title, in which case we definitely should get Bader-DC and Rumble-Jones (in July)