DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING PHOTO RESTART

RIPPA

November IS Starrcade! 

The '85 show is my personal favorite, in large part due to one of my all-time favorite matches, Magnum TA vs. Tully 

Magnum-T.A.-vs.-Tully-Blanchard.jpg

I'm not a fan of gore for the sake of gore; CZW stuff nauseates me. This match is as violent as any of those, and at a more realistic level. But I think it's the realism, and the intensity, and what feels like a NECESSITY for it to be violent that's so fascinating to me. 

Of course, that card in general goes nuts with the gigging. On my recollection, everyone who blades:

- Manny Fernandez
- Abdullah 
- Paul Jones
- Superstar Billy Graham
- Ron Bass
- Black Bart
- James J. Dillon
- Jimmy Valiant
- Ron Garvin
- Dennis Condrey
- Bobby Eaton
- Ricky Morton
- Magnum
- Tully
- Dusty
- Flair

I may be forgetting someone. Graham blades in an arm-wrestling match (dafuq?!), Morton blades incredibly obviously after the match ends, and Garvin -- in drag as Miss Atlanta Lively -- blades so badly that at a certain point, his face isn't visible. 

This scene looks like a still from "Tobe Hooper Presents The Texas Starrcade Massacre." 

Screen+Shot+2014-07-03+at+5.16.20+PM.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

November IS Starrcade! 

Of course, that card in general goes nuts with the gigging. On my recollection, everyone who blades:

- Manny Fernandez
- Abdullah 
- Paul Jones
- Superstar Billy Graham
- Ron Bass
- Black Bart
- James J. Dillon
- Jimmy Valiant
- Ron Garvin
- Dennis Condrey
- Bobby Eaton
- Ricky Morton
- Magnum
- Tully
- Dusty
- Flair

I may be forgetting someone. Graham blades in an arm-wrestling match (dafuq?!), Morton blades incredibly obviously after the match ends, and Garvin -- in drag as Miss Atlanta Lively -- blades so badly that at a certain point, his face isn't visible. 

85 is my favorite too.  The irony of ironies is that of the fifteen or so guys who bladed, Dusty wasn't one of them.  But yeah, that was one of the bloodiest wrestling cards ever.  Even jobbers trying to stop the Koloffs from killing the RnRs bladed.

Pretty sure they called an audible after Garvin fucked up his bladejob.  He was a mess immediately and he took off as soon as it ended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm Japanese. I'm totally going by "Agile young Japanese ace" from now on.

I'm 37 and I'm going to go by "Exciting late-30s Nature Boy". Although I guess Flair probably had that moniker in the 80s. I'll just go with "Charlottesville's Golden Boy".

11 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

- Manny Fernandez
- Abdullah 
- Paul Jones
- Superstar Billy Graham
- Ron Bass
- Black Bart
- James J. Dillon
- Jimmy Valiant
- Ron Garvin
- Dennis Condrey
- Bobby Eaton
- Ricky Morton
- Magnum
- Tully
- Dusty
- Flair

Arn giggled when he ran in on the main event too.

How did Dusty NOT bleed on that show? One of life's little mysteries. . . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Arn giggled when he ran in on the main event too.

How did Dusty NOT bleed on that show? One of life's little mysteries. . . 

Since Dusty was probably running the show it would be a likely rib. "Hey, y'all get yaseff some coluh out theah, I'll be right there with ya baybay" then meanwhile laughs as everyone comes back to the bar that night wearing bandages. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

85 is my favorite too.  The irony of ironies is that of the fifteen or so guys who bladed, Dusty wasn't one of them.  But yeah, that was one of the bloodiest wrestling cards ever.  Even jobbers trying to stop the Koloffs from killing the RnRs bladed.

Pretty sure they called an audible after Garvin fucked up his bladejob.  He was a mess immediately and he took off as soon as it ended.

:lol: I think I'm so accustomed to seeing Dust blade, my subconscious inserted a different Dusty match with him blading into this one. I'd forgetting some of the others, like the Rock-n-Roll vs Koloffs melee. Amazing