DVDVR Message Board

UFC 205: Alvarez vs. McGregor (11/12/2016) - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

Just now, roofiethebutcher said:

Could Gastelum gain enough weight so they could fight?

Two things:

Gastelum didn't even bother to show up in weigh in. He said he was 178, but who the hell knows? 

Second, they wouldn't give Gastelum a fight and leave Cowboy on the shelf without a fight. That would be very ass backwards.

Just now, roofiethebutcher said:

Could Gastelum gain enough weight so they could fight?

Fuck him, Cerrone is the one who needs a fight.  Gastelum is one that John Lineker/Charles Oliviera track of missing weight as much as they make it.  

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Two things:

Gastelum didn't even bother to show up in weigh in. He said he was 178, but who the hell knows? 

Second, they wouldn't give Gastelum a fight and leave Cowboy on the shelf without a fight. That would be very ass backwards.

I don't disagree it would be backwards and Cerrone deserves a fight more than Gastelum.  Was just wondering who Jacare would even fight as an alternate. 

4 minutes ago, roofiethebutcher said:

I don't disagree it would be backwards and Cerrone deserves a fight more than Gastelum.  Was just wondering who Jacare would even fight as an alternate. 

Ideally the MW fight on the main card because even as an alternate, he would still need to be within 9 pounds of whoever he was facing. So technically at 189 pounds, he can only fill for either Weidman, Romero, Sapo, or Tim Boetsch. 

Fuck, that's frustrating. Gastelum looked like a world beater last time out. His ability, inability rather, to make weight on a consistent basis seems like the most egregious waste of talent in the sport. Do we know if he's working with a well known nutritionist? 

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Fuck, that's frustrating. Gastelum looked like a world beater last time out. His ability, inability rather, to make weight on a consistent basis seems like the most egregious waste of talent in the sport. Do we know if he's working with a well known nutritionist? 

I know he was working with George Lockhart for the Magny fight as the UFC paid for that. I believe he was working with Lockhart for the Hendricks fight. Don't know if he brought him back to prepare for Cerrone.

2 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

What's with guys missing weight by A LOT? It seems like a recent thing where a lot of the missed cuts are by 5-7 pounds. Are guys trying to cut via more "natural" methods and hitting an unexpected wall?

I'm guessing because you no longer have the entire morning and afternoon the day before the fight to make that drastic final cut.  

This is really one of those things that we claim we wanted, but now that it's here we realize...I don't want this at all.  Cutting weight is something that is going to be part of this sport forever, and making it harder is going to just make a something that was already a problem worse.

21 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is really one of those things that we claim we wanted, but now that it's here we realize...I don't want this at all.  Cutting weight is something that is going to be part of this sport forever, and making it harder is going to just make a something that was already a problem worse.

I don't think it's making it worse because fighters are going to do stupid stuff regardless. Letting them sit around dehydrated from the morning to the early evening is not healthy and the commissions (especially California) were already moving away from that anyway. If you want to make that final big cut, you have that 1-3 hour window. You don't make it, it's on you. No more trying to cut again.

Fuck Kelvin Gastelum and send him his walking papers.  He spit on Donald Cerrone, the UFC, MMA, and New York City.  He's done this fucking repeatedly.  This is UFC's debut in MSG.  There's no excuses.

Fire the fucking idiot and send him packing.  Donald Cerrone no longer gets to fight on UFC's first MSG card because of this fucking garbage.

• Like 3

I don't have as big of a problem with him missing weight as I do with him not informing Cerrone ahead of time, especially with the policies the commission has in place. If he did that, Cerrone wouldn't have to do the standard cut and also get 20% of Gastelum's purse in addition to being able to get a win bonus if he won.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't have as big of a problem with him missing weight as I do with him not informing Cerrone ahead of time, especially with the policies the commission has in place. If he did that, Cerrone wouldn't have to do the standard cut and also get 20% of Gastelum's purse in addition to being able to get a win bonus if he won.

Where does he fucking get off not even informing anyone?  Is that what his manager and team told him to do?  That's a fucking joke.  

It's not unprecedented to change fights at the last minute to a catchweight or make a new weight agreement early one.  He didn't even have the courtesy to do that.

Meanwhile, Thiago Alves lying through his teeth, saying he feels great while walking around at 170 when he has food poisoning.  He didn't inform the UFC, Miller or the commission either.  It's despicable, disgusting and pathetic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm guessing because you no longer have the entire morning and afternoon the day before the fight to make that drastic final cut.  

Ariel Helwani and all those other guys are like, "Can you believe we forced fighters to wait THAT long just to weigh in?!"

Well maybe these guys were using all that extra time to get their weight down on Friday.  Case in point, Miesha Tate barely made weight for UFC 200 and was almost pulled for getting to the early weigh-ins late.

21 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Ariel Helwani and all those other guys are like, "Can you believe we forced fighters to wait THAT long just to weigh in?!"

Well maybe these guys were using all that extra time to get their weight down on Friday.  Case in point, Miesha Tate barely made weight for UFC 200 and was almost pulled for getting to the early weigh-ins late.

And that's on Miesha really. It's not like the window to weigh in changed. 

The commissions aren't going to let you just walk around dehydrated for 6-8 hours the day before the fight anymore. 

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Maybe they weren't walking around dehydrated that long and were still busting treadmills and bikes trying to make weight.

Apparently you never seen these fighters on fight week because 85-90% of the fighters are absolutely miserable come weigh-in. We're not talking just 1 or 2 pounds. You can probably burn that off jogging around the fighter hotel so this early morning thing wouldn't be an issue at all. We're talking upwards of 10-15 pounds (probably more for certain fighters) prior to that last cut down. If you're doing that the day before the fight, you can't eat or drink anything until you've burned that weight off and weigh in. Previously, you were allowed one more attempt after failing to make weight. That's an extra 30-45 minutes of that if you even bothered to make a legit attempt. We're just talking about simple weight management, which can be easily tracked. If you're 5-10 pounds away from the weight class limit when you're body hits the wall, then you have an issue that you personally need to solve. If you don't want to deprive yourself of food and want to enjoy camp a little more, you probably should move up a weight class. That's just it. The UFC has stressed you need to be in within a certain limit prior to your arrival to the destination of the fight. If you respect that, it shouldn't be that hard. If you don't respect that, everything that happens after that is on you as a fighter.

• Like 1

If Conor really wanted to get past Dana, he would have. Then again, he's got a lot on his mind with the baby on the way and everything.

Bummer to hear Cerrone is off this card as he is a favorite to watch. The six fight main card was something that added to the special feel for this event to me. Most looking forward to my #1 favorite Joanna champion defending, finding the Weidman/Romero fight very interesting and hard to call as a fan of both. Also feeling Tate/Pennington could go either way at this point. Looking forward to seeing Liz Carmouche back as well after a long time away, should be a tough fight too.

5 hours ago, AxB said:

If Conor really wanted to get past Dana, he would have. Then again, he's got a lot on his mind with the baby on the way and everything.

I like how Joanna knows how to troll everyone.