DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 1/4 WRESTLE KINGDOM 11 in TOKYO DOME

Raziel

I thought there were not enough opinions on Omega/Okada on the internet, so I added mine:

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2017/01/i-also-watched-omega-vs-okada.html

I personally thought JR was pretty bad on commentary. I thought he came off really phony, and it was really amusing to hear Mr. Less is More lose his shit over everything. 

Agree with you on Unno. He and Hebner are alike in that they're well respected referees I find often detract from matches in a major way. He seems to always do that "cover this guy right here!" bullshit. What the shit? Why can't we just clone Brian Hildebrand?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I watched The Match because I felt that I had too, plus it is free on NJ's site. Click HERE

I ended up not liking it that much and feeling kinda inadequate because I barely watch wrestling anymore. At least my complains are very similar to what Eric wrote on his review which made me feel a little better.

Things that I liked:

Omega - Dude bumps like crazy, is super athletic and has cool/weird body language and facial expressions. Nice looking knee strikes also.

Things that I didn't like:

Okada - His strikes are (were just on this particular match?) bad, specially for a top New Japan guy. His body language is weird and not in a cool way, he had this weird slouched posture that made him look like and old man the entire match (even before Omega started working his back) and he has a pretty dumb expression on his face for most of the match. This motherfucker also does a kip up 20 minutes into the match (after having his back brutalized) and sells it by casually wincing and grabing his belly for .5 seconds. This infuriated me. Boo this dude.

Around the 4:40 mark (14:40 on the video above I think) there is this awful looking spot were Omega does a Sunset Flip of the 2nd rope, Okada rolls through and goes up to his feet looks at Kenny for about a second in which Kenny waves, slaps his hands on the mat and says C'mon! and Okada responds by rolling towards Omega and doing a jacknife pin for a 2 count and a bridge... and ennnnhhhggg it looked so awkward and I hated this spot so much that I had to pause the video and curse out loud. This may look like nothing big, but really soured the match for me.

Things that made me cringe:

Those two absurd spots. Props?! for Okada for taking that top rope dragon suplex right on his neck, I guess that's why he slouches like an old man. That thing looked nasty. Also, kids don't jump through tables like that. Please.

Things that I didn't like but are just petty little things:

Dudes that keep adjusting their tights, pants, knee and shoulder pads, etc during "i'm laying on the floor and selling" time. This is just a pet peeve but happens on 90% of the matches and annoys me to no end.

Things that were OK:
The match itself.

I think that's it. I think I'll watch moreOmega matches, I liked the dude. And don't hate me for not liking this all that much.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally getting caught up on stuff, and this show is just TOO. FUCKING. LONG.

I've made it to Naito/Tanahashi and I need a break. A lot of the matches were fun but just had too  much going on. Loved the finish of Bucks/Vice but the in-between had too much shit...and clearly Trent was trying to cripple himself throughout the damn match. I did chuckle at the Bucks laying out everyone but their intended targets with superkicks: cute spot.

Heavyweight Tag Titles were entertaining more for the incessant cursing and Corino's giggling about said cursing, than any of the actual wrestling. I enjoyed Cody/Juice quite a bit, but felt Cole/Kyle had a weak finish...as did Goto/Shibata.

EDIT: finished the show. Naito/Tanahashi was really good...but you can tell WHY Okada/Omega nearly killed each other, as Naito was determined to out-bump everyone...and the Main just couldn't have that, could they? Not gonna argue how "great" Okada/Omega was, but those two fuckers sure left everything out there. I think I yelled "Holy Shit" or "Jesus Fucking Christ" about a dozen times over the last two matches.