DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 1/4 WRESTLE KINGDOM 11 in TOKYO DOME

Raziel

Only watched Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega and Tetsuya Naito vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi as I wanted to see these. First reaction after watching both is preferring Naito vs. Tanahashi. Anyone else? I liked how Naito and Tanahashi each targeted the other's knees, the closing stretch was smaller than other big NJPW matches and Naito wasn't flustered by Tanahashi barely kicking out, if he did from the Super Destino. follwing up with another Destino for the win.

• Like 1

Dave Meltzer's star ratings I found on cagematch.net. Wasn't sure they were legit at first because he's done them so soon after a show.

Okada vs. Omega ******

Naito vs. Tanahashi ****1/2

Goto vs. Shibata ****1/2

Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA ****1/2

Ishii/Yano vs. Tonga/Loa ***1/2

Cole vs. O'Reilly ***1/2

Beretta/Romero vs. Jackson/Jackson ***1/2

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Aye. I'll see what I think on a second viewing. I was tired when I watched it first go around.

Seeing Okada vs. Omega with a clearer head and eyes. Holy shit. Natty's weather forecast: ***** for Okada/Omega and Naito vs. Tanahashi.

4 stars for a good match, half a star extra because he digs Japan, half a star extra if he was there live. That's how I figure Dave's system. The extra star comes from where, because Kenny's friends with the Bucks?

• Like 1

I heard the biggest Kevin Kelly goof is when he called Bone Catcher or whatever Captain New Japan is called now "the Bone Smuggler" :lol:

I guess I am in the "so much better if it was 10 minutes less" category on Omega vs Okada.   At least they protected Omega's finisher by having Okada get out of it 2 or 3 times. But when they do a rematch I can't imagine the over booking that they will have to do for that since almost everything was thrown in the match

Almost everything before Kushida vs Kamatachi felt like they were trying to get all the wrestlers on the show which is something given they have a rumble match before that.  The six man gauntlet was frustrating because you see a ton of talent grouped with people they had no business to.  Yeah I know Jado & Will Osprey are in CHAOS but why waste Osprey like that.   I don't know if Ricchocet & David Finlay (who really looks great now) are a regular team in New Japan as well.

I loved the last two matches, but the show as a whole was disappointing.  I mean, the undercard was fine, but all of it pretty much stayed in it's lane.  No really surprisingly good stuff, and a lot the title matches suffered in comparison the recent years.  Like, Goto in the NEVER title match is pretty huge step down from the Ishii wars from the last two years, even if it was pretty much fine.  And Kamatachi blew too much of his shit for the Junior match to really come together.

And the back-to-back ROH title and Cody debuts were fast forward material.  Poor Juice has come full circle: jobbing to bigger stars in their debuts.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

I loved the last two matches, but the show as a whole was disappointing.  I mean, the undercard was fine, but all of it pretty much stayed in it's lane.  No really surprisingly good stuff, and a lot the title matches suffered in comparison the recent years.  Like, Goto in the NEVER title match is pretty huge step down from the Ishii wars from the last two years, even if it was pretty much fine.  And Kamatachi blew too much of his shit for the Junior match to really come together.

And the back-to-back ROH title and Cody debuts were fast forward material.  Poor Juice has come full circle: jobbing to bigger stars in their debuts.

If it's any consolation, Juice pinned Goto the following night.

Yeah it seems like the only purpose of Cody Rhodes at WK11 was to continue a storyline with Steve Corino who was doing commentary.  I want to say that Juice has improved great since beginning of 2016 but he was always been that really solid hand who won't be the cause of any issues in a match.

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

If it's any consolation, Juice pinned Goto the following night.

Which theoretically sets up Juice vs Goto for the NEVER title.

On one hand, Juice doesn't have the gravatas as the last bunch of NEVER champs have had.

On the other, Robinson's level is preceisly where the NEVER belt was supposed to be when it was created.

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

I heard the biggest Kevin Kelly goof is when he called Bone Catcher or whatever Captain New Japan is called now "the Bone Smuggler" :lol:

That was actually a Corino joke. They freely admitted that they were not going to be remotely serious during the Rumble. 

Mid-Rumble, Corino admitted the Great Kabuki scared him when he was a kid. I can't hate upon such commentary.

Also, if there is a season 4 of LU, I fully expect Bone Smuggler to somehow be incorporated into someone's gimmick.

Jesus, Okada/Omega was something else. Insane stuff at times. Best match ever? I dont know but definitely one of the best puro matches I've seen on terms of crowd reaction. 

Im not a fan of his character but Omegas in-ring work is fantastic, for me thats one of the best "big match" performances i have ever seen. Okada was great as usual. 

• Like 1

The dive that Trent missed outside the ring was sick.  The last 4 matches are what we as wrestling fans look forward to on this one night a year. I never feel like NJPW under delivers on 1/4.         However I do feel guilty. I watched the show for free when I gladly would have paid the $10 if only they were available on ROKU.   On the bright side I did get my friend to subscribe to World so I guess all is forgiven

• Like 1

If you have a laptop with Windows 8.1/10, you can turn on the Screen Mirror on Roku ( I forget off hand what it's called) and project your laptop to the machine.  Works pretty well, I used to do that until I just up and got a HDMI for my laptop (because there's a second lag and that's no good for games)