DVDVR Message Board

The Literary In Memoriam Thread

Jerome Miller

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2017 at 10:05 AM, odessasteps said:

RIP exorcist writer William Peter Blatty age 89.

And Blatty went to his grave insisting that he was a "comedic writer".  Funny how one's self-perception can vary so much from what the world sees.

• 2 weeks later...

RIP to my dear friend, Edward Bryant, who passed away in his sleep yesterday after a long illness. A winner of both the Hugo and Nebula Awards for short-fiction, Bryant was an early Clarion workshop grad and a prolific writer in the 1970s and 1980s and spent much of his time helping new writers get started. His fiction output dropped off in the 1990s, but he continued working as a reviewer and critic with a long-running column in Locus. A naturally witty and funny guy, he was a frequent toastmaster and/or host at conventions and award ceremonies. He will be very much missed. 

• 1 month later...

Damn. Really nice guy and one of the most incredibly talented illustrators of his generation. He was really born a couple of generations too late, Bernie needed to have been around in the 1930s doing the covers and interiors of Dime Mystery, Horror Stories and Weird Tales and pre-code stuff for E.C. 

21 hours ago, Pete said:

17362367_10154296454577541_1735652672782

This.

The last great old-school reporter, I'm sure that he's catching up with Red Smith, Damon Runyon, Jack Anderson at that special bar near the pearly gates that's always open (just like your tab); and when you call the night editor about your deadline, he always says "Take as much time as you like!" 

• 2 months later...

Denis Johnson, author of "Tree of Smoke" and other works passed away at the age of 67. From what I have seen this hour, he was at home, and it was a peaceful ending.

I found a copy of "Jesus' Son" once. Read the whole thing straight through in one day. At times brutal, brilliant through and through.

Looks like I'll be rereading it this weekend.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Damn, but this month sucks... On the 23rd we lost Harvey Jacobs, perhaps best-known for his novel American Goliath or his first short story collection, The Egg of the Glak. Somehow at around age thirteen or fourteen I wound up with a copy of this collection and suddenly Ray Bradbury was no longer my favorite writer... Fast forward many years later and I was fortunate enough to publish Harvey's second collection and begin a friendship that became quite close over the years. To date, the collection My Rose and My Glove stands out among the nearly 100 books that I've edited and/or published as the volume that I remain the proudest of. 

The following day Kit Reed passed away. A remarkably gifted writer who published fiction for over sixty years. While there are a number of collections extant, someone really ought to publish her collected short fiction as despite there being ten collections of her short fiction, there's still a wealth of uncollected material, including her most recent story "Disturbance in the Produce Aisle" (Asimov's SF 9/2017). A good starting point would be the massive volume The Story Until Now: A Great Big Book of Stories; and it is... You get a nice hardcover for thirty-five bucks containing thirty-four stories, so just about a buck per story, that's what I call a bargain. While there's still a lot left to collect, as a retrospective volume this is an excellent starting point.

• 3 months later...