DVDVR Message Board

The WESTWORLD Thread

EVA

I'm still processing last night's finale. I don't know if I liked it yet.

I did, overall, like this season a lot more than the last.

I like that we're heading back to Westworld, seeing as how "loops" are a theme in this show.

I have my own stupid idea for the series finale. The show ends with everything going somehow even more wrong that things already have. We cut to Ford and Arnold. They've been running a simulation this whole time. They look at each other and say, "Uh, no." and they toss the plans for Westworld in the trash. Wacky music plays. Fade to black.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Log said:

I'm still processing last night's finale. I don't know if I liked it yet.

I did, overall, like this season a lot more than the last.

I like that we're heading back to Westworld, seeing as how "loops" are a theme in this show.

I have my own stupid idea for the series finale. The show ends with everything going somehow even more wrong that things already have. We cut to Ford and Arnold. They've been running a simulation this whole time. They look at each other and say, "Uh, no." and they toss the plans for Westworld in the trash. Wacky music plays. Fade to black.

I....yeah...I really don't know what to think. My first feeling when the episode ended was, "I don't like this," which is a shame because I thought the season was really good. I started thinking of the overall journey of this series and while I've been a fan, this season gave me a sense that this series might not be good? I don't know.

Season 1 deals with a couple of the hosts becoming self aware, Ford plotting his own death, and shit goes haywire. Dolores wants to kill all of the guests. Season 2 has Delos trying to regain control of the park while we discover things like, you know, Shogunworld... Yeah... But anyway, Dolores and a bunch of other hosts want to kill more guests, Delos and Maeve want to stop Dolores, Arnold is bouncing back and forth between different timelines but he's on the side of the good guys, real Charlotte is killed and host Charlotte smuggles out a bunch of the host marbles to bring them to the real world for nefarious reasons, and Maeve succeeds in sending a whole bunch of hosts into the Sublime. Oh, and William makes it to his destination, the forge. which is many years in the future, it's a deserted facility, he meets his host daughter that presumably replaced his real daughter, and she does the fidelity test on William. Season 3 takes place in the real world with Delores and Maeve, who has entered the Matrix, running about. Rehoboam now basically treats all humans as hosts and gives humans a path for them all to follow, which leads to humanity thriving instead of collapsing. At some point William says he's "going to save the fucking world" by killing the rest of the hosts. Dolores wants to destroy Rehoboam to set everyone free? Maeve still wants to stop Dolores, but they're also seemingly fighting for the same thing? And then we have season 4.

There's just been too many people changing alliances, changing heel and face and back again for no reason at all (William, for example), and it's nice that we had that episode midway through the season that finally explained things as they are now with nearly all humans infected with a parasite and Charlotte controlling them, but then we get to a point where Charlotte wants to shut the whole thing down because the humans are making the hosts want to kill themselves, and then real William is a heel again and says that everyone should be killed despite him saying that he was going to save the world. Not only that, but the bad guys win. What's the point of Caleb even getting Frankie out of the city if they're just going to be dead in a couple years anyway? What a weird thing to build to and have us watch for it to ultimately be pointless. 

And now we're right back where we started in old Westworld and Dolores is basically Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangellion and she has to decide whether sentient life should live or not.

Typing that all out makes me actually dislike that finale even if the season was good and better than the previous two seasons, but I also like the series less because it's just all a mess. No one is ever truly dead, everyone keeps changing allegiances, they keep fucking with multiple timelines within a season, and the gaps in between seasons are too big which makes this shit so hard to remember. I would be interested in seeing what someone's experience binging this show is because watching it week to week and season to season makes it very hard to follow.

• Like 2

The good part of the season finale: Hey, Trevor from GTA is back for a cameo!

The bad: everything else. 

So now all humanity is dead and isn't coming back, and the "piece of humanity" that is left is just metaphorical -- humans programmed the hosts and they're just like us.  Delores is going to run one last simulation to see how they hosts act in order to judge whether she should just format the drives and delete the backups on the whole thing.  So nothing really exists and it's all just a simulation.  Zero real stakes.  Maybe this is a commentary on NFTs?  I got nothin.  It reminds me of that John Cusak movie, Identity.  Once I realized the whole thing was taking place in his head, the whole film felt like a meaningless waste of time.  It also reminds me of The X Files: start hot with a lot of good ideas, and then have no idea how to pay any of it off but stretch it out like turkey meat because the network likes money.

I do like @Log's idea of ending with Ford and Bernard dashing the whole thing, roll credits on the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

I think Westworld would have been so much better had it just been more straightforward from season 2 onward. The multiple timelines in season 1 works, but since then it's just been them overusing it or using it just a little bit in every season, which makes everything very convoluted. It also doesn't help that so many characters allegiances or alignments kept flip flopping throughout the series. I totally forgot until I read a review of the finale that the Charlotte Hale we've been seeing is Dolores. And I vaguely remember that, but it also happened so long ago. And if that's the chaotic evil Dolores, who created the core for Christina/Good Dolores? Wouldn't they inevitably revert back to thinking "KILL EVERYTHING?" That's who we're putting in charge with deciding if sentient life should survive? Not to mention, this is only sentient life that's in the Sublime. Eventually, there's going to be a natural disaster that would cause a power loss at the dam and cause all of those servers to crash.

The other stupid fucking thing I see happening is that we'll get Dolores early on deciding that sentient life should survive, and then a time jump, and then people living in the modern day that they're living in a simulation. Since so much time has gone by, they'll just make Dolores forget she's basically god and she'll question the nature of her own existence, which will lead to us finding out some Matrix 2 type shit that we've all been living in multiple versions and iterations of a simulation for a long, long, long time.

Plus, this still doesn't address how incredibly fucking lame and nihilistic it is that the showrunners were just like, "yeah, all of these people you watched try and survive? Yeah, they'll all be dead in two years. Don't get too attached to Frankie/Cookie." The real kicker would be that while Dolores is fucking about in the Sublime doing her best Shinji from Evangelion, that humanity actually has been surviving just fine and Bernard was wrong the whole time. In fact, humanity has been better off without the hosts because, shocker, the hosts wanted to kill all of the humans anyway so if they're all stuck in the Sublime, then there's less risk for humanity. It would also lead to at least a couple interesting final episodes that would be very philosophical with humans deciding whether or not the Sublime should be turned off and whether or not those are actual real lives living in the Sublime.

• Like 1

Oh, one other thing, they never gave us an explanation for how or why fake William, as well as some other fake humans, were eventually able to pass the fidelity test, yet Hale/Dolores is telling fake Caleb that they were never able to get fidelity right and he'll eventually die. I mean, fake William is RIGHT THERE, not being all cracked out and twitchy because he passed a fidelity test. Not only that, but he recognized that he was the best version of William. Well, every host could think that considering they're practically immortal since they're robots. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh, one other thing, they never gave us an explanation for how or why fake William, as well as some other fake humans, were eventually able to pass the fidelity test, yet Hale/Dolores is telling fake Caleb that they were never able to get fidelity right and he'll eventually die. I mean, fake William is RIGHT THERE, not being all cracked out and twitchy because he passed a fidelity test. Not only that, but he recognized that he was the best version of William. Well, every host could think that considering they're practically immortal since they're robots. 

Isn't fake William another Dolores/Hale pearl in a William body?

I think my question here proves your point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SHIT YES.  They show one scene where Caleb is breaking down, then they go right to fake William, fit as a fiddle.  Fuck you!

I, too, had to look up what the deal with Hale was, because all I remembered was naked robot Hale killing the real Hale.  I couldn't remember shit about this show and feel like "previously on Westworld" needed to be about three times longer than it was.

I chalked it up to the long Covid layoff that this show and a bunch of others had, and also me getting old, so I'm glad others had the same problem.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you haven't caught up and want to, you apparently don't have long to do that as WarnerMedia is now removing shows it canceled from the streamer. 

Edit: Scratch that, it may already be removed. 

Edited by Chaos