DVDVR Message Board

The WESTWORLD Thread

EVA

In my mind I was thinking of her from Firefly and thought if that was her, so I did a quick look on IMDB, saw she was on Westworld for a couple episodes, and figured that's who it was. I don't think I've seen her in forever and didn't even realize that was her in Get Out. Just a failure on many parts. I also don't remember her from season 1.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it took a few episodes, but holy hell, did we get a reveal this week.  

Dolores going full on heel in this season is kind of awesome. I'm digging Evan Rachel Wood trying to be completely bad ass and breaking the instant she sees her dad.  She's also SOOOOOO murdering James Marsden very soon.  I'm also completely untrusting of Bernard and whatever the fuck his intentions are.  

William (The Man in Black)... I think this is as legit a face turn as this character is going to make.  We did get a hint of that when he shushed someone for his philanthropy in the real world, but yeah, that was satisfying.

And oh boy that preview for next week...  mama mia.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, it took a few episodes, but holy hell, did we get a reveal this week.  

Dolores going full on heel in this season is kind of awesome. I'm digging Evan Rachel Wood trying to be completely bad ass and breaking the instant she sees her dad.  She's also SOOOOOO murdering James Marsden very soon.  I'm also completely untrusting of Bernard and whatever the fuck his intentions are.  

William (The Man in Black)... I think this is as legit a face turn as this character is going to make.  We did get a hint of that when he shushed someone for his philanthropy in the real world, but yeah, that was satisfying.

And oh boy that preview for next week...  mama mia.

Ya this weeks episode was something else, I’ve avoided all theories and articles for the last two weeks and I think it definitely allowed me to enjoy episodes 3 & 4 even more. Episode 4 is my favorite episode of the entire series. 

I thought episode 2 was the best of the season, but yeah, last night takes the cake. The makeup job on Jimmi Simpson was great too. He was really looking like he could grow up to be Ed Harris.

• Like 1

I think it's multi-faceted. Ford knows William has set out to destroy Westworld because he now sees this as a cancer, but Ford has a god-complex and isn't going to willingly let that happen. If anything, Ford is out to prove that he can indeed be god by having this game play out. Ford also doesn't want to see his creations become tools of the rich and powerful so they can stay rich and powerful forever. You'd think Ford would be on William's side if not for how much he wants to play god.

Or I'm completely wrong. Either way, really awesome episode.

My current theory is that Ford sees the replicants/cylons/hosts/whatever you want to call them as having evolved to the point of becoming actual sentient beings and wants them recognized as such.  Perhaps he wants Westworld to be its own sovereign nation with himself as ruler and Bernard is his proxy to allow him to regenerate himself and make their situation known to the outside world.

I'm on board with the idea that as William got older he began to cast aside his greed and hubris to realize the prospect of Westworld and the hosts as a means for the elite to achieve immortality is now something that needs to be stopped.  He might not have been expecting the host rebellion but now that it has he realizes he can get them to help kill his creation.

There's also the question of what the rest of the world is like at this point.  Did it start a decline toward dystopia in the years since William gained control and saw to the advancement of the host technology?  Is Westworld being groomed as some sort of lifeboat or refuge for the rich and powerful while the rest of the world declines?

On 5/29/2018 at 5:29 AM, peterien said:

This weeks episode was a chore to get through. 

Absolutely.  After a few weeks of fun "theme" episodes, where each pretty much followed one storyline or set of characters, this was very much a "lets soft reset and get everybody on the same page before we move forward" ep.  Disparate storylines and timelines plus the end of a long day plus two bourbon and cokes made this one a little rough.

I've been avoiding this topic as I'm never caught up, but I refuse to believe anyone enjoyed ShogunWorld. Utterly pointless diversion and nothing but fan service, I couldn't be any more ambivalent to Mauve's story this season darling.

Most of the episodes have been so-so this season, but my god did the Riddle of the Sphinx kick ass and I'm intrigued with where the Bernard stuff is going. At first I thought he was working for Ford but now I'm not sure if he's working for Delores without knowing it

As for the concept Westworld, is it supposed to be some working experiment/proof of concept that people can become immortal by uploading their conscience into different hosts? And AI's gaining sentience has become this unintended consequence?

• Like 1

I tend to agree with the negativity towards ShogunWorld. It offered a different visual touch and look to part of Delos Island or whatever we're calling the broader universe this place sets. However, the weakest parts of Sunday's episode were the ones that involved that side of the island to the point that I kept thinking to myself that "someone wanted to just live out the Kurosawa fantasies, and the HBO execs just shrugged and went 'okay!'"

5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Once again, the show doesn't work unless 99% of the humans are dumb as rocks. 

When do the real security guys get here? 

I'm okay with "tough talking assholes who aren't such badasses when they get into a real fight with a worthy enemy," but that one guy thinking with his dick at the exact worst moment was just a bit much.

And I get that something is going to be a big reveal because of it, but god damn do I not need a side story about Ghost Nation Guy next week.

I have really enjoyed this season. It's different than the first and didn't need the contrivance of showing stuff out of order, but I thought every episode has been good to great. The only one I really didn't like was the Shogunworld episode, but even the story told was good and I didn't like that particular episode because I wanted more with the overall storyline.

This week, jesus, everything sure went tits up for anyone who is a protagonist. Speaking of Jesus, they're really playing up Dolores being this Lucifer type figure and Maeve being the, uhh, not totally evil type. I'm guessing Maeve dies and is reborn.

Regarding this point...

Once again, the show doesn't work unless 99% of the humans are dumb as rocks. 

All you have to do is look at how fucking dumb we are as a country and who we elect to see that we're as dumb as a box of rocks.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I have really enjoyed this season. It's different than the first and didn't need the contrivance of showing stuff out of order,

But is is showing stuff out of order.  Outside the random flashbacks here and there, we do have two main storylines at once with two different timelines: the ensuing two weeks after the host uprising, and now.  And I'm already wishing they color-coded this shit a la Fear the Walking Dead or better Call Saul because I'm getting confused as fuck.

That brings me to another issue I have. Jeffrey Wright is probably the best actor in the show. But he's also the most married to the broken timeline stuff because Bernard's brain is fucked. So the most talented member of the cast spends most of his time looking confused and making boring "where am I, when am I, what's happening" faces. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Guys with super modern tech and training working for a company that’s invested untold billions in this versus a bunch of people who essentially just walked out of the mid-1800s. There’s no excuse for things being so one-sided in favour of the hosts. 

The host are faster, stronger, can reprogram themselves to have the same or better training, and have access to the same tech since they stole it off of security guys who had no idea what they were really dealing with.

I don’t know where i stand on this show anymore, I’m watching it and I’m only enjoying parts of it. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great looking show, we’ll acted etc. but nothing grabs me the way the first season and the first 4 eps of this season did.

I find Bernard/Arnold to be very annoying. Every monologue Dolores rolls out I lose interest. William is the only character I’m remotely interested in and it looks like his storyline has lost a bit of steam too. 

Where does this show go if they reach “our world”? If they don’t “get out” of Westworld isn’t that just a repeat of Maeve’s story from the final 2 episodes of last season? There’s 3 eps left and one of those looks like it’ll focus solely on the Ghost Nation, which at this point in the series makes zero sense. I’ll stick with it but as of now my interest in a 3rd season is low.