DVDVR Message Board

The WESTWORLD Thread

EVA

23 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Wacky cold medication dream:

What if the finale of Westworld somehow sequed into the Deadwood movie?

1. I am not sure which is worse:  drunk posting or cold medication posting?

2. Are you on shift right now, because I am and I have a reason to be posting @ 0200 EST. If you are not on shift and you are currently medicating for a cold. YOU NEED TO GET SOME FUCKING SLEEP~! GO TO BED!

• Like 2

Fucking Ford man.  I have to rewatch the whole series, and especially last night.  Well William finally got what he wanted.  That smile after he got shot was amazing.  I'm guessing we get humans and "good" hosts versus Delores and "bad" hosts.  Either way what a mindfuck.  Great show.  Answered so many of the questions/theories from the season and set up so much more.  

• Like 1

Too much to talk about and process right now, but here are some random questions:

Was Maeve's decision to go back and find her daughter her own choice or was it just the endgame of her loop?

Did you guys catch the post-credits sequence?

Was the actress who played Armistice wearing a really bad merkin?

Did Papa Abernathy/The Human USB/Johnny Mnemonic get out of the park or was he part of the Island of Misfit Toys Death Squad?

Also, Remus (Steven Ogg/GTA Trevor) just loving the shit out of that massacre was just the best.

Edited by Technico Support

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Too much to talk about and process right now, but here are some random questions:

Was Maeve's decision to go back and find her daughter her own choice or was it just the endgame of her loop?

Did you guys catch the post-credits sequence?

Was the actress who played Armistice wearing a really bad merkin?

I started fast-forwarding to the post-show comments and stopped for the post-credits scene. That lady in god-mode is a lot of fun.

I do think it was part of Maeve's "story" to go back and find her daughter. Whether or not SHE realizes that is a different question. Maybe she thinks that, but doesn't want to admit it.

And man, still nothing about the lesser Hemsworth brother. He winds up getting attacked by ghost nation, but then there's nothing about that last week, and nothing this week. 

They did reveal it's Arnold. Then there's the moment where Bernard is brought back to life and they come so close to revealing that he made the changes, but then Maeve breaks the iPad thingy.

I'm guessing Ford was able to push all of these stories through by pinning them all on Bernard/Arnold. Ford even tells him that he's used him for other purposes, so why not use him for that as well. Again, no one knows who Arnold is, so it's easy to have this "ghost" making all of these changes and then watch everyone chasing their tails trying to find out who Arnold is.

As for Ford being a host...I could buy that. He did so many things with his thoughts alone, kinda like Maeve, that some part of him had to be machine. 

5 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Did we find out it was Arnold who was making adjustments to Maeve this whole time?  

No - we did not. I think the assumption is it was Ford, to serve as a distraction to the chaos that unfolded on the beach. Clearly every event, right down to Maeve finding Bernard, was scripted by Ford.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A_K said:

No - we did not. I think the assumption is it was Ford, to serve as a distraction to the chaos that unfolded on the beach. Clearly every event, right down to Maeve founded Arnold, was scripted by Ford.

Felix specifically says that "someone named Arnold" made the changes and they even show that on screen when Felix shows Maeve the tablet.

Like I said though, and like you said, it very well could have been Ford ordering Arnold/Bernard to do these things so that everyone chases after this mythical Arnold instead of looking at who they know as Bernard or looking at Ford.

Maeve was acting out the precise steps of a recently created narrative. Arnold died 35 years ago. The two do not sync.

Exceptional series even if virtually every twist was suspected weeks before. Ive seen the writers have suggested this is only the prelude to the "real" show starting: presumably the stakes are raised in the real world.

I was half expecting Maeve to walk out of that elevator into nothingness: an impossible escape to suit Hectors empty safe.

• Like 1

It was Arnold who originally made the reveries & the changes but Ford stopped him 35 years ago Ford says this. Ford made the changes in present day but in Arnold's name because Arnold is the guy who originally did it 35 years ago. That's why Ford says it has taken him 35 years to right his mistakes, It's his new narrative/Arnold's old narrative. Ford in other words sees what Arnold was trying to accomplish then & finishes his work now. 

• Like 1

Relating to Maeve and her decision to go back to the park.....

We've read a whole host of theories on Westworld over the past 10 weeks, and one of the big questions was where exactly was the park located? There were some interesting theories including an abandoned post-apocalyptic town or city, underwater or even space, though in the end it seems it was the most likely answer: an island.

When Bernard was explaining to Maeve that she wasn't the only one making the decisions, it was simply a new narrative she was following, we got a glimpse at the control panel. There we saw that her narrative directed her to "deceive," then "coerce," then "recruit," then "escape" with the ultimate goal being "mainland infiltration." Bernard even begins to tell Maeve her narrative ends with "mainland infiltration" when she swiftly cuts him off. This would also explain why Westworld is able to have an ocean — a feat that otherwise would would have been a huge undertaking and that would've likely come off looking a little like The Truman Show scenery.

maeve-sees-her-narrative-hbo.jpg

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

Felix specifically says that "someone named Arnold" made the changes and they even show that on screen when Felix shows Maeve the tablet.

Like I said though, and like you said, it very well could have been Ford ordering Arnold/Bernard to do these things so that everyone chases after this mythical Arnold instead of looking at who they know as Bernard or looking at Ford.

The more logical thing is that Ford was just using Arnold's credentials to script and create this chaos/new narrative because he saw the writing on the wall with Delos.

We're talking about credential management and a guy who created the park. I'm pretty sure he's going to have access to any credential he wants.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The more logical thing is that Ford was just using Arnold's credentials to script and create this chaos/new narrative because he saw the writing on the wall with Delos.

We're talking about credential management and a guy who created the park. I'm pretty sure he's going to have access to any credential he wants.

Another possibility, along those lines, is he simply reactivated what Arnold was going to do. . . 

• Like 1

Right...Again, Arnold is under Ford's command. Ford is able to make Arnold do whatever he wants him to do and ensure that Arnold has no memory of it, unless Ford accesses those memories for Arnold. 

Arnold found the key to unlocking the hosts, but they weren't ready as a whole.  Ford wanted the park and Arnold wanted it shut down, and Arnold merged the original Wyatt storyline into Delores to cause the "incident", which is Delores and Teddy slaughtering the original town "off-script" and killing Arnold in the process.  Ford then "resurrects" Arnold as Bernard.

Ford staged everything this season.  He dug up the Wyatt storyline because after 30 years, he figured out how to get the Hosts conscious, and he knew he was getting the park taken away from him finally, but the Hosts were finally "ready", although in essence, just like Arnold, Delores didn't really pull the trigger out of free will, it was still programming that caused her and the other hosts to do it.

Maeve was the one chosen to escape (she was still programmed), *BUT*, she's the only Host that actually gained consciousness, as she broke programming and left the train to go back.  

• Like 2