DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL GREATEST OF ALL TIME COMMENTS

RIPPA

Is it cool if I send mine in tomorrow? I've just got to order them and can do it first thing in the morning. 

Five Ballots?

How many did we get the last time we did this?

Y'all are fine. Even I stick firm to the deadline (which I am not) - I can't do anything till tomorrow when I go back to work since I need access to a printer so I can start tallying ballots.

In terms of how many ballots - usually these things averaged around 20. The 90s reboot was WAY higher than that. The 50s was WAY lower.

I thought this would be "easier" for people to submit because unless you are like 16, everyone has seen enough stuff to submit a ballot.

However this board is full of COWARDS~!

So my new goal is the standard 20 and that is gonna require me to continue to pester people

• Like 1

THE NOW FIRMER DEADLINE!!!!

TUESDAY, JANUARY 17, 2017

The big reasons are

a) I forgot this upcoming weekend was a 3 day weekend for most

b) today being the first day I am back at work in 3 weeks, it is going to take me a minute to compile the ballots I have gotten so far

Now - the 17th will be much closer to an actual drop dead date as I want to be totally done with this project before March Madness and I need to give myself some prep time for that too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Z said:

I planned to abstain from this project, because I know I will my hate my list as soon as I press "send", but damn it I will try to put something together until next week.

Everyone hates their list the second they send it. That is half the fun.

The other half is me mocking JT for all the movies he forgot to vote for

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:52 PM, RIPPA said:

The more ballots I get the less pressure I feel trying to make my ballot perfect

You are learning the lessons I have already learned.  Go with your gut and stand by your decisions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

that feeling you get when you don't double check the formatting instructions until you're 3/4th through the list and have to go back and reformat it.

If you are that far a long - don't sweat changing it

As long as I know which order it is going in (1-100 or 100-1)

Sweet with the new deadline.

I'd planned on spending all day at work formatting my list properly and begrudgingly sending it in with huge gaps in stuff I still needed to finish watching.

Now I'm just figuring out when the optimal time for lunch will be where no one will bother me as I finish the last 45 minutes of Blade Runner. 

edit: I've also figured out that between my Google Drive, work desktop and work laptop I have 3 different versions of my list saved that are all hilariously different. 

8 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

It's going 1-100, honestly, it's only that I reveresed the Director and Date.

Oh definitely dont change it.

I don't c&p - I retype into Excel.

It is just easier for me so I am making sure I have the correct movie (especially with this one when the chance of the same titled movie being voted for is very high)

Just now, CSC said:

Sweet with the new deadline.

I'd planned on spending all day at work formatting my list properly and begrudgingly sending it in with huge gaps in stuff I still needed to finish watching.

Now I'm just figuring out when the optimal time for lunch will be where no one will bother me as I finish the last 45 minutes of Blade Runner. 

In about 5 minutes I am going to be the only person left in the office so LA Confidential is going onto my laptop so I can see if that makes my ballot

Akira and Snow White & The Seven Dwarves are the only animated films to make my ballot. 

I feel that I am doing a disservice to Pre-Disney Pixar and Studio Ghibli so hey, I will watch Mononke-Hime, Spirited Away, The Incredibles and Up some time before Friday.

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Akira and Snow White & The Seven Dwarves are the only animated films to make my ballot. 

I feel that I am doing a disservice to Pre-Disney Pixar and Studio Ghibli so hey, I will watch Mononke-Hime, Spirited Away, The Incredibles and Up some time before Friday.

I would likely add Fantasia, castle of cagliostro, mask of the phantasm as potential animated choices.  Prob something stop motion too. 

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I would likely add Fantasia, castle of cagliostro, mask of the phantasm as potential animated choices.  Prob something stop motion too. 

As deserving as it is to be on someone's Best of All Time list, someone else will have to support Anomalisa because I have never been able to sit through it to the end.

As soon as I begin to marvel at the stop motion animation, I have to fight the urge to suicide by drinking bleach because it is so depressing.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

As deserving as it is to be on someone's Best of All Time list, someone else will have to support Anomalisa because I have never been able to sit through it to the end.

As soon as I begin to marvel at the stop motion animation, I have to fight the urge to suicide by drinking bleach because it is so depressing.

I didn't even think about Anomalisa. That actually could have some low-end possibilities of making mine. Although in quasi-Kaufman directed stuff, I'm not sure if I liked that or Synecdoche, New York more.

While we're there, I'm pretty certain that Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, and maybe Elephant Man will get some representation. However, I wonder if anyone will go for The Straight Story when putting Lynch on their list.

For anyone not wanting to make a list for fear of being mocked for leaving something off/putting something silly on their list...I did not include any of the general consensus "Greatest film of all-time picks" on my list, and for the latter, I included 'Commado' and 'Big Trouble in Little China', so...by all means, vote!

• Like 1

I just finished my first draft and I literally have 20 movies on my list that I really don't want to vote for.

Part of this comes from having a giant block of movies that I know I have seen but have no real memories of so I am like "How do I really rank this?"

Like for example - I remember watching The Birds for the 60s ballot (and voting for it) but I couldn't really tell you what I did or did not like about it other than being all "Well I can kinda see what people really like this?"

I suck.

• Like 2