DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I had to look it up because I didn't know

Adria Arjona - who is playing Dorothy - pretty much just has True Detective on her resume and will be in the Pacific Rim Sequel

Vincent D'Onofrio is literally the only other person in the cast I know.

Also - they have 10 episodes filmed so not quite sure if it is just a mini-series or if they will get a 2nd season if it does well

I saw Gina Bellman playing Janet in the Rocky Horror Show in 1990. Ade Edmonson was playing Brad. It was good.

EDIT: And it seems there was a recording of some of it:

She was also in Dennis Potter's Blackeyes in 1989. Which most people didn't like because it was too confusing, but I thought it was great. There was loads of nudity and I was 14 or 15.

• Like 1

Gilmore Girls reunion was super fun. Some stuff was a little off. Some was pretty pointless. But the show kept its soul, had some great funny moments and the arcs of the main characters were really well done. There were a few moments that made the room a little dusty in the fourth episode.

Kelly Bishop is a national treasure. She really deserves a bunch of awards for her role as Emily in this. She nailed every scene. 

Overall, a great way to spend the Friday after Thanksgiving. It's such a great show and I am glad I got to spend some more time with the characters.

After hearing lots of good things about the show, I decided to binge watch Insecure last night, including the finale. I enjoyed the show overall. It was funny, raw, and sometimes hard to watch. It reminded me of Being Mary Jane, where you're screaming at the characters for doing stupid shit that you or your friends have probably done yourselves lol Curious to see how next season goes. 

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The non-Mythbusters Mythbusters-esqe show

I swear I thought that was Cythia Rothrock for second and was likre "Fuck yeah! Netflix is making low bidget Miche Dudikoff-esque action films!

James

Finally saw this last season of Halt & Catch Fire. As expected, it was fantastic. Wasn't crazy about the time jump but I love what they've done with the show and can't wait for season 4.

I'm also working my way through The Wonder Years again. Such an incredibly great show. They do a great job of covering mature topics with the right amount of maturity, immaturity, humor, and seriousness. The tinge of sadness and wistfulness mixed into everything as older Kevin  looks back is just perfect. He know those were the good old days for him and he misses them. And I like that the show didn't cave into standard behavior and go for the happy ending (though I've not gotten that far yet on this run). 

• Like 2

Guys, there's one A-Team episode that has Ernie Hudson, Michael Ironside, Brion James, and Donald "Ogre" Gibb, and Mrs. Ochmanek from ALF (Also known as Jerry's mom on SEINFELD I guess if you have to be that way).

It's a joy from beginning to end.

It's called The Taxicab Wars.  It is amazing.  I looked up one old lady who was a cab customer and she had been an extra in movies and t.v. from 1934 to 1989. Her name was Etherelda Leopold.

ETHERELDA!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Guys, there's one A-Team episode that has Ernie Hudson, Michael Ironside, Brion James, and Donald "Ogre" Gibb, and Mrs. Ochmanek from ALF (Also known as Jerry's mom on SEINFELD I guess if you have to be that way).

It's a joy from beginning to end.

It's called The Taxicab Wars.  It is amazing.  I looked up one old lady who was a cab customer and she had been an extra in movies and t.v. from 1934 to 1989. Her name was Etherelda Leopold.

ETHERELDA!

Speaking of character actor laden 80s tv show episodes, there's an episode of Miami Vice that features a biker gang of Reb Brown, Sonny Landham, and John Matuszak (Sloth from The Goonies).  It was written by John Milius under an alias.

• Like 1

Oh My God the frozen Grandpa from WEIRFD SCIENCE just showed up too!

This episode is about a war between two cab companies. And it is literally a running gun battle with automatic weapons through the streets of L.A. with cabbies running each other off the road and shooting at each other.

It's absolutely ludicrous and I love it.

Spoiler

Ernie Hudson's team won.

also

Spoiler

Faceman got laid.

Nostalgia started this, but after binge watching season 2 and season 3 to date of Girl Meets World, I think I actually like the show on its own merits. I like that it tackles serious issues while still delivering juvenile junior that occasionally swerves into all out absurdist comedy. I like that it doesn't back off from taking the same kind of leaps the original show did. And I honestly love the central message that season 2 built itself around.

I don't care that I'm 35 and don't have any kids to act as excuse. The show is, for me, worth watching.

Plus, dude, nostalgia.

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ah, my lovely Kari, glad to see you and your crew landed well. 

What was the issue behind them leaving Mythbusters again? Pay or something?

Discovery didn't want to pay them anymore, and wanted to streamline the show and just use Jamie and Adam.   thing is, Jamie and Adam don't like each other and the streamlined show didn't have the same flow as it had in the past, lost ratings ,  and was finally ended.

You could argue that the Build team were the more interesting team, as they all like each other and it showed.

The Adam and Jamie dynamic is still so fascinating to me as they both freely admitted that they weren't friends but they knew how to work with other to make good TV (and other things)

I know I am going to get this wrong - but I remember Adam saying in an interview something to the effect of "We have never had dinner together" during the entire time they worked on the show.

It is amazing to me how long they were able to do it with that kind of relationship (besides the money clearly helping)