DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Fox has ordered a 2nd season of Lucifer

And apparently there is going to be a Good Wife spin-off called Good Fight. That will be out Feb 2017 and will air on CBS All Access deal

@supremebve said in the October thread

I've watched every second of Westworld, and I have no idea what it is about.

And my frustration with the show is starting to build.  I really like the world they've set up, the atmosphere, and the overall feel, but there's only so far you can take it.  They really need to start laying their cards on the table.  The A/V Club review of the latest episode really nailed it when, among other criticisms, they compared it to staring at a curtain for hours in anticipation.  The curtain has to be pulled back sometime.  The review also describes every character and their subsequent motivations as vague question marks, which I agree with.  

They're just a handful of episodes in and I'm hoping things change, but I'm starting to feel about this show the way I did about Mr. Robot.  It's relying too much on building mysteries upon mysteries with no payoff, content to coast by on atmosphere.  On top of that, I'm really worried that the "separate timelines" fan theories are going to be proven true, probably in the final episode as a cliffhanger, and it's going to feel like nothing but Shymalan-esque gimmickry.  

In short, I want to love Westworld but I'm really afraid they're going to go in the shittiest direction possible.

P.S. the instrumental version of NIN's "Something I Can Never Have" being played at the brothel was pretty great.

I'm starting to buy the seperate timelines theory, just that The Man in Black is Logan and not William.  MiB has done such shitty things thus far and is obsessed with getting further, and just point blank said he's funded the company to keep things going.  Things he's done and said don't match William, or anything we've seen of him thus far.  

My theory is that 

Spoiler

The William/Delores/Logan storyline is the "insident" 30 years ago, and we're seeing that, and it's overlapping with Delores' current timeline as she's "reliving" it as she's woke, like she did 30 years ago (which accounts for her strange hallucinations, and that Bernard and Robert keep pulling her out of the park for questioning and William never notices) .  MiB is Logan and is trying to get to the maze now that he's pretty much beaten the rest of the park.   Robert's last round of upgrades mixed with Bernard's meddeling in trying to kickstart fully congnisant AI in Delores is causing a "virus" like effect where if you say the right things to other hosts, they get woke too (which is what's happening with Mauve's storyline).  

Technico is right though, they have to start showing some of the cards and paying off some of the storylines, else it's going to get too bogged down in its own shit.

There are two problems with the "30 years ago" theory.  

1. The main security guy was featured in both alleged timelines.  But maybe he's a robot, too.

2. There have been references to the robots being not as complex 30 years ago and very easy to suss out as not being real.  Nothing in the William and Logan storyline bears that out.  All the robots they've interacted with are just as realistic and convincing as the "modern" ones.

So they're going to need to ignore some plot points or jump through some ridiculous hoops for a lame gotcha if that's the way they're going.

Honestly, the only thing that has me getting on board with the 30 years storylines is that Logan talks bout the park taking a financial dump after Robert's partner dies, and him and William are there to "see what their investment might get" for their company, and later with MiB and Robert are talking, MiB brings up that the company stayed afloat because of him (which explains why he has pretty much carte blanche to do whatever he wants).  Take out those two lines of dialogue, and I don't buy the 2 timelines.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

There are two problems with the "30 years ago" theory.  

1. The main security guy was featured in both alleged timelines.  But maybe he's a robot, too.

2. There have been references to the robots being not as complex 30 years ago and very easy to suss out as not being real.  Nothing in the William and Logan storyline bears that out.  All the robots they've interacted with are just as realistic and convincing as the "modern" ones.

So they're going to need to ignore some plot points or jump through some ridiculous hoops for a lame gotcha if that's the way they're going.

I can talk myself out of number one by telling myself that security guy talking about Delores being out of her loop was in reference to current events rather than anything going on with Logan and William. Maybe. If I squint. 

Number two is a pants-on-head stupid oversight if Logan and William are in an earlier timeline.

And just so I can get this straight in my head: Have Mauve or the James Marsden character appeared in Logan and William's storyline? 

No.  Mauve and Teddy have not interacted with William and Logan.  The only common thread among all the characters is Delores.  The closest William and Logan have gotten to Mauve was when William just chilled with Clementine (the popular whore) in the Saloon.  

You could argue that Lawrence showing up fine in Pariah after MiB bled him like a deer the night before is evidence of the two timelines, but there seemed to be a day elapsing when WL&D showed up in Pariah and they were introduced, so Lawrence could've been reset and restored in the interim.  

And at this point, we should probably start a Westworld Thread to not clog the TV thread with conspiricy theories.

I'm somewhere between the "2 Timelines" and "the writers are keeping things spaced enough to make you think there are two timelines, but it's really that the 3 main human characters In the Park don't happen to be interacting yet".

The fucking Atlanta finale was amazing.  I honestly don't think I've ever watched a show where every single character is essentially someone I know.  The key to the show is that I believe every single relationship.  All of these people live their own lives, but they all fit together in a way that feels real.  

Holy crap.  Last night's episode of Channel Zero was the tits!

And that ending... urgh.

Spoiler

So, we know that Mike probably killed his twin brother to protect Jessica, but whatever malevolent force that still haunts the town returned to finish the job.  RIP Jessica. :(

The present day body count is up to three now; Daphne, Tim, and Jessica. 

It is almost like the reason that the evil behind Candle Cove is back to seduce a new generation of proxies and to (as I mentioned above) kill the people in town that it did not claim when they were kids.

At least the hottie acting sheriff Amy Welch is still alive even if she's sleeping with that goofball deputy.

Also:

Spoiler

The Tooth Child was conspicuous by his absence, but the possession of Mike's daughter by Eddie's spirit just leads me to believe that the Tooth Child is a manifestation of Eddie.

I have yet to figure out what the psycho teacher has to do with everything.  Is she a pawn, is she the mastermind, what is her role?

• Like 1

Fuck.  So now my girlfriend wants us to start binge watching Notorious in addition to Secrets & Lies.  First Michael Ealy and now Daniel Sunjata.  I hate those pretty mother fuckers.

I also hate the double standard.  "You only watch that stupid horror show on Syfy for the female deputy," my girlfriend says....

On 11/2/2016 at 3:13 PM, supremebve said:

The fucking Atlanta finale was amazing.  I honestly don't think I've ever watched a show where every single character is essentially someone I know.  The key to the show is that I believe every single relationship.  All of these people live their own lives, but they all fit together in a way that feels real.  

you know a Darius?

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Fuck.  So now my girlfriend wants us to start binge watching Notorious in addition to Secrets & Lies.  First Michael Ealy and now Daniel Sunjata.  I hate those pretty mother fuckers.

I also hate the double standard.  "You only watch that stupid horror show on Syfy for the female deputy," my girlfriend says....

Up until this week's episode she barely was around. How does she make this jump in logic?

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

How does she make this jump in logic?

See, what you've done there is,you've used the word "She" and the word"Logic" in the same sentence.

17 hours ago, Randy said:

you know a Darius?

I know some people who have Darius tendencies.  I remember one day I was walking to the store with a friend of mine, and a older white woman approaches us to talk about Jesus.  She asked us about our beliefs, and my friend looked her right in the face and said, "in my religion we preach that all white people are going to hell."  (For the record he doesn't believe that, not that it matters to that old lady.)  He also smokes more weed than anyone I know.  If someone told me he went to a firing range with a dog poster, just to see how people would react, I wouldn't be surprised.

FOX has renewed the Simpsons for two more seasons (29 and 30)

That means that the Simpsons will break Gunsmoke's record for most total episode for scripted prime time show

Gunsmoke had 635 episode. And the end of season 30 - Simpsons total will be 669 (Gunsmoke will still hold the "Per season" record since it ran for 20 years)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

FOX has renewed the Simpsons for two more seasons (29 and 30)

That means that the Simpsons will break Gunsmoke's record for most total episode for scripted prime time show

Gunsmoke had 635 episode. And the end of season 30 - Simpsons total will be 669 (Gunsmoke will still hold the "Per season" record since it ran for 20 years)

cd3.jpg

• Like 10