DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 11/14/2016 at 9:08 AM, Tabe said:

I just read the real facts behind the movie and Gibson actually left stuff out - stuff that actually happened - because he thought audiences wouldn't believe it. 

Basically, they were a little loose with the facts before the war stuff and pretty accurate with the war scenes. 

There's a wonderful documentary about the story called The Conscientious Objecter out there you should check out.  It's pretty easy to find.

Fantastic Beasts and where to Find Them isn't great, and probably won't be remember much in six months, but it's a lot of fun in the moment. More broad comedy than the main franchise ever really dabbled in.

Just came back from seeing Arrival. I really enjoyed the film, but can someone explain this one thing:

Ok, Louise is this award winning author who wrote this book on the Universal language. Yet, despite having these memories/dreams about her future child, she cannot recall this language (or enough of it) when she first encounters the Heptapods. She can remember these sights and sounds vividly, but not a language she is extremely proficient in. Also, are we to assume that if she makes the call to the Chief of the Liberation Army a second too early or too late that it throws off those timelines? If she botches the entire thing, all hell breaks loose and moreover she doesn't have a child with Ian certainly.

Bloodsport is still fucking awesome and Bolo Yeung is still one of the best villains ever. Such a smug, narcissistic, cheating asshole. 

c2646648c53db6466edbdd6f5f1d8586.jpg

Oh yeah, a murderer, too. 

Interestingly Kickboxer and its sequels are making the rounds on El Rey but that movie never did it for me like Bloodsport does. 

Think I'm gonna go put on Electric Boogaloo now and get all Cannon-ized

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you wanna watch a real piece of shit The Swarm is on TCM right now! I just watched a toy train roll off a fake hill because killer bees stung the conductor, and now Michael Caine etc. are doing their best to keep a straight face. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Just came back from seeing Arrival. I really enjoyed the film, but can someone explain this one thing:

Hide contents

Ok, Louise is this award winning author who wrote this book on the Universal language. Yet, despite having these memories/dreams about her future child, she cannot recall this language (or enough of it) when she first encounters the Heptapods. She can remember these sights and sounds vividly, but not a language she is extremely proficient in. Also, are we to assume that if she makes the call to the Chief of the Liberation Army a second too early or too late that it throws off those timelines? If she botches the entire thing, all hell breaks loose and moreover she doesn't have a child with Ian certainly.

I will paraphrase my earlier reply to SKOS about this.

Spoiler

The movie is based on a short story called Story Of Your Life which relies heavily on the (now disproved) theory of Linguistic Relativity.

Linguistic Relativity, also known as the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis or Whorfianism, is a concept-paradigm in linguistics and cognitive science that holds that the structure of a language affects its speakers' cognition or world view. 

The Heptapods developed a language that allows them to communicate with beings on multiple time streams because they are able to perceive them naturally. 

The reason that Louise cannot recall the language when she first encounters the Heptapods is that she can only "hear" the parts of the conversation occurring in the time lane she can perceive.  Learning the language gives her partial cognition of the alternate time streams, but not the ability to fully comprehend what is going on around her.

The reason she decides to get pregnant at the end of the movie despite her postcognitive glimpses into the future and knowing that he child will die is because knowing about the existence of multiple time streams gives her hope that in some alternate reality, her baby will be born strong and her mastery of the Universal language will allow her to see her child through her visions.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you wanna watch a real piece of shit The Swarm is on TCM right now! I just watched a toy train roll off a fake hill because killer bees stung the conductor, and now Michael Caine etc. are doing their best to keep a straight face. 

The Swarm is probably one of the worst movies ever made but holy shit, the scene where bees attack the nuclear power plant and it explodes and destroys an entire town scared the shit out of many a Cold War kid.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I will paraphrase my earlier reply to SKOS about this.

Reveal hidden contents

The movie is based on a short story called Story Of Your Life which relies heavily on the (now disproved) theory of Linguistic Relativity.

Linguistic Relativity, also known as the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis or Whorfianism, is a concept-paradigm in linguistics and cognitive science that holds that the structure of a language affects its speakers' cognition or world view. 

The Heptapods developed a language that allows them to communicate with beings on multiple time streams because they are able to perceive them naturally. 

The reason that Louise cannot recall the language when she first encounters the Heptapods is that she can only "hear" the parts of the conversation occurring in the time lane she can perceive.  Learning the language gives her partial cognition of the alternate time streams, but not the ability to fully comprehend what is going on around her.

The reason she decides to get pregnant at the end of the movie despite her postcognitive glimpses into the future and knowing that he child will die is because knowing about the existence of multiple time streams gives her hope that in some alternate reality, her baby will be born strong and her mastery of the Universal language will allow her to see her child through her visions.

Ok, that makes enough sense. I had a brief "waitafuckingminute" moment when we reached the "ah-ha!" portion of the film. I was just making sure it wasn't this deus ex machina thing.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Ok, that makes enough sense. I had a brief "waitafuckingminute" moment when we reached the "ah-ha!" portion of the film. I was just making sure it wasn't this deus ex machina thing.

The one thing that bothered me is:

Spoiler

That version of the hypothesis kinda flies in the face of proper science.  The Theory of Relativity and the Principle of Least Time show that light and space-time have similar characteristics.  They don't splinter, they don't deviate much from their vectors even when traveling through another medium, and they don't go in reverse.

There should be no such thing as an alternate reality where some different version of you exists or where people that have died exist and visa versa because space-time should not exist outside of itself unless you're in a black hole or something. 

Backwards time travel, alternate realities, and pocket dimensions are romantic notions, but they aren't not steeped in anything related to accepted scientific theory or law.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Swarm is probably one of the worst movies ever made but holy shit, the scene where bees attack the nuclear power plant and it explodes and destroys an entire town scared the shit out of many a Cold War kid.

I laughed my ass off at that because it happened so suddenly and the plant was, again, another bad model. I can see the readout listing all the dead people that Caine coldly watches creeping out many a Cold War-era youth though. 

Funny you mention that because I've been listening to this today

• Like 1

I love Bloodsport so much whenever I watch it I now analyze the fights as to what was the best ones. Even through the montages you can tell some of them had to have been really good.

Ever notice how the Chinese giant Dux beat with the low blow never threw a punch? He just stood there absorbed some blows then went to the bear hug. And how Bolo Yeung is Chinese yet for some reason as Chong Li represented South Korea?

2 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

That said, how it never became a franchise, I'll never know.  

You mean a normal theater release franchise right? 

Bloodsport had three DTV sequels, but they were all vehicles for Swiss martial artist / actor Daniel Bernhardt. 

None of those movies had any connection to the life of real life martial artist, Frank Dux; the character that Van Damme played in the first movie.,

The Quest is considered to be a spiritual prequel to Bloodsport and Frank Dux claims that the idea for The Quest was lifted from a script he wrote in 1991 and he sued Universal Pictures for royalties.  A jury disagreed with Mr. Dux.

Isn't Frank Dux one of those Martial Arts legends who is either a compulsive liar, or lives in a fantastical dreamworld where he has magical powers?

He got knocked out by Zane Frazier (who lost to one of the fat guys at UFC 1), I know that.

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Isn't Frank Dux one of those Martial Arts legends who is either a compulsive liar, or lives in a fantastical dreamworld where he has magical powers?

He got knocked out by Zane Frazier (who lost to one of the fat guys at UFC 1), I know that.

Dux is indeed an accomplished martial artist, but it's well known that 99% of the stuff that happens in the movie is fabricated.

For starters, there is no tournament called The Kumite.  Loosely translated, the word "kumite" means "open sparring":   It is something that every fighter / martial artist does in any dojo anywhere in the world.

The IFAA does indeed hold an invite only tournament every five years but it is neither secret nor illegal.

Dux has an infamous professional rivalry with Stephen K. Hayes, so take that for what its worth.

Paramount has joined MGM’s effort to mount a musical film remake of 1983’s Valley Girl, the film that helped launch the career of Nicolas Cage. The remake will launch a new feature directing career, as the studios chose Clay Weiner over a number of well-established helmers who wanted the job.

tumblr_mrngnccaqj1sdlu9mo6_500.gif

6 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Kind of halfway watching The Green Inferno right now and really wishing it was written by Stephen J. Cannell instead of Eli Roth so we could see how Faceman and Hannibal would stall for time while Murdoch and B.A. built a helicopter out of spare jeep parts.

I already bore your pain in the Horror thread, man.  I watched that so you didn't have to.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I already bore your pain in the Horror thread, man.  I watched that so you didn't have to.

I've already given up on it.  But I really would love to see how Hannibal tricked Mr. T to eat another sedative-laced hot dog in the middle of a cannibal encampment.

Like, literally every episode of the A-Team is so much better than this.  Not a single truck has flipped over after running into a shrub or anything.

I did end up rewatching Electric Boogaloo. Menachem Golan might've been a fun guy but he shouldn't have been anywhere near a professional position in anything. Reminded me of someone else in a professional position right now, except for the "fun" part...

The Bloodsport part was relegated to the extra scenes of course, and could have used an extra ten minutes talking about Frank Dux etc. Cannon had a whole lot more to do with the public's interest in martial arts than the movie let on but they did at least get over their influence on the whole "ninja" thing.

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

You mean a normal theater release franchise right? 

Bloodsport had three DTV sequels, but they were all vehicles for Swiss martial artist / actor Daniel Bernhardt. 

None of those movies had any connection to the life of real life martial artist, Frank Dux; the character that Van Damme played in the first movie.,

The Quest is considered to be a spiritual prequel to Bloodsport and Frank Dux claims that the idea for The Quest was lifted from a script he wrote in 1991 and he sued Universal Pictures for royalties.  A jury disagreed with Mr. Dux.

I actually didn't know there were Bloodsport semi-sequels floating around.  I do vaguely remember the Quest, though I've never seen it and forgot it existed until J.T. mentioned it.