DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

God I was doing everything in my power to not watch RAW so I ended up watching

Return of the Jedi (always the right decision)

SWAT (not great but I have watched way too many times)

Hotel Transylvania (which lead to me having to listen to my wife tell me about how one of her students dressed up as Selena Gomez's character. So I regretted my decision) 

I had intended on watching Halloween 3 on Halloween night but my DVR screwed up so I couldn't, so instead I watched Killer Klowns From Outer Space.  You know a movie's bad when it makes you pine for the coherent plotting of Halloween 3.  Also, I'm still unclear on if they were aliens from space who dressed/acted like clowns in order to lure humans (Which only makes sense if you operate under the premise that humans like clowns) or if they were aliens who happened to look like clowns.

Then I made my recovering-from-surgery-mom watch Cold in July with me.  What an awesome movie that is, and what an awesome son I am.

• Like 1

What I've watched recently: Laid in America (2016) is a movie starring a couple of youtubers that I had to get because my son likes them. It's like Superbad, if it didn't have the parts with McLovin and the two cops. So basically, it's a bad version of Superbad, only with more social media cachet. Not worth bothering with unless you're obsessed with youtubers.

Solomon Kane (2009) is basically the same movie as Season of the Witch (2011) and Black Death (2010), and none of them are much cop. Black Death is probably the best of the three, because it had the lowest budget so there's no shitty CGI demons all over the place. And it has the best cast. Really, if you're looking to get someone from the cast of Rome to play your unstoppable medieval warrior, you'd go for Stevenson or McKidd (or Hinds) well before you'd go for Purefoy. I mean, he got himself in shape for it and everything, but he has a politician's face.

Point Break (1991) is one of those movies where you overlook it's flaws. The opening scene is an awful lot like that footage of Keanu's weapons training for John Wick 2 that @J.T. posted in the upcoming movies thread. And Keanu... in a way, he's perfect for the part, because he looks so right for it. But in a way, he's terrible, because he can't (or at least, couldn't at the time) act hidden emotion. The best actors can show you that their character is feeling regret, or sadness, or desire, or anger or frustration or anything, while putting a brave face on it. Keanu just shows the brave face, so you can't tell if he's feeling anything or not. And the plot hinges on his character making emotional decisions rather than rational ones... so in a way, his performance detracts from the logic of the storyline. A more subtly emotive actor in the same role might have been a better fit.

I'd totally forgotten Antony Chilli Pepper was in this movie. And Swayze's psycho torturer friend was played by Beecher from Oz, who can apparently play anything convincingly. Whatever happened to Bojesse Christopher? And why did Lori Petty's career stall so badly?

13 hours ago, AxB said:

And why did Lori Petty's career stall so badly?

I think it was a combination of her disinterest in being a conventional leading lady and getting a reputation for being difficult to work with. She was originally cast in Sandra Bullock's role in Demolition Man and was fired by Joel Silver on the second day of shooting.

Last month my wife and I got free tickets to go see Point Break Live. They reenact the entire movie with an audience member selected to play Utah reading from cue cards to capture Keanu's performance. It's pretty fun as long as you're prepared to be covered in water and fake blood. 

I had this random movie come to my mind but can't think of the title to save my life. It was filmed in the 60's I think, it was a psusdo docu-drama set in the desert where it had a bunch of political prisoners who had to go through this obstacle course if they could survive. Anyone know the name of it?

1 hour ago, John Austin said:

I had this random movie come to my mind but can't think of the title to save my life. It was filmed in the 60's I think, it was a psusdo docu-drama set in the desert where it had a bunch of political prisoners who had to go through this obstacle course if they could survive. Anyone know the name of it?

Was it Punishment Park?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/punishment_park/

The other thing about Solomon Kane is... I hate movies with crucifixion (could have sworn that was spelt crucifiction, but there's a red line under it spelled that way) scenes where they put the nails into the palms of the hands instead of into the forearms where they're supposed to. As soon as you asked those nails to bear the weight, they'd tear through and the guy would fall off. Although in this movie, and (I'm not spoiler tagging it because the movie isn't good enough to deserve spoiler tagging) they used headless nails in the crucifixion just so they could have a Falling off the Cross scene. And if you're crucifying a bloke, you wouldn't use headless nails, would you? If you were looking to crucify a guy, and the only nails you could find were all shaft and no head, why go to the trouble of even nailing him up there at all? Just use chains or ropes or something. Or just hit him with your hammers for a few hours, that'd be the same kind of lingering painful death you were prescribing, without the inescapable fact that he'd escape as soon as you turned your back.

And I've now spent more time thinking about that scene that the guy who wrote it did... and if you read the whole post, so have you! :) 

Oh man, there's a great bit in Sister Mary Ignatius Explains it All for You where she discusses how experts say it was his wrists that were nailed, but the statues and paintings through his hands.

The trailer I watched for Moonlight tonight made it look pretty damn good as well. 

In other news, Gimme Danger is pretty much perfect, though the volume in the theater wasn't cranked up loud enough and I've read more than the film let on through the various oral histories of the Stooges already. It's essential for anyone who loves the band and necessary for anyone who doesn't know much about them. And Fun House is still the fucking best so listen to it 

See I cant imagine watching Point Break and it not being Keanu and Swayze.  Probably why I'll never watch the remake. I love Point Break so much AND of course loving Point Break as I do led me to becoming a Fast & Furious super fan because it's pretty much the exact same story at first..   and Walker and Vin capture the bromance aspects very well.

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2016/11/how-will-trump-victory-affect-media-companies-winners-losers-1201851613/

Some good news for a change about the Trump Presidency, with it hopefully becoming harder for China to invest in Hollywood films.

I've personally become sick and tired of the "China Pandering" we've seen in movies over the last decade, especially the ludicrous scene in the last Transformers movie where we see the Chinese Defense Minister say "We will defend Hong Kong."

Hopefully, idiocy like that will now come to an end.

1 hour ago, Jerome Miller said:

I've personally become sick and tired of Transformers movies

FTFY

• Like 2

Slaughter is on Starz Encore Black and boy is it fucking SLEAZY. Rip Torn beats the crap out of his crush (probably taking a page from Jim Brown's playbook), says the N-word a ton, and dies in a car fire like Johnny the Boy at the end of Mad Max. And boy is he young in this! I swear I've never seen Rip Torn look less than rumpled.  

Then I turn to Sundance and Bad Lieutenant is on. At 1 PM Central. Hey, you asked for it, now you got it

• Like 1

On 10/11/2016 at 2:13 AM, Jerome Miller said:

http://deadline.com/2016/11/how-will-trump-victory-affect-media-companies-winners-losers-1201851613/

Some good news for a change about the Trump Presidency, with it hopefully becoming harder for China to invest in Hollywood films.

I've personally become sick and tired of the "China Pandering" we've seen in movies over the last decade, especially the ludicrous scene in the last Transformers movie where we see the Chinese Defense Minister say "We will defend Hong Kong."

Granted, all the China pandering in Transformers was cringe-worthy. But, technically, it's impossible to make the Transformers films any more idiotic than they already are. 

So, on Saturday we watched Labyrinth (1986) for the first time since Xav was about 6 or 7 (he's 12 now). So he understood a lot more of it. But it got me thinking, you know the scene where she first goes into her bedroom, and there's this tracking shot that shows toys or figures of everyone she's going to encounter in the Labyrinth itself (and there's photos of David Bowie on her mirror)? Andthen at the end, after she's rescued Toby, she gives him her Teddy Bear and finally casts off her Only Child selfishness and embraces maturity and sharing... but then there's the 'if you need us' scene where she then immediately rejects her newfound maturity in favour of living in the dream world she has created in her head.

If you were to put together a sequel, do you just do a straight sequel where Sarah's a grown woman whose teenage daughter reads her olddiary andaccidentally gets herself kidnapped by the Goblin King, and Sarah has to go back to the Labyrinth (only because it's always constructed from the dreams of whoever summons it, rather than it be the fairytale she visited, it's now packed with snapchat memes and other things relevant o modern teenagers, and the Goblin King is played by Harry Styles (or Jared Leto is the daughter is an emo; Stick a 30STM poster on her wall and it makes perfect sense. Also, he'd be good in the role).

OR, do you look at it like, here's this grown woman who was socially maladjusted as a teenager (in the opening scene she's in a park recreating scenes from her favourite book by herself, and then her stepmother mentions it'd be nice if she had boyfriends... the whole movie kind of implies she doesn't have any friends at all) and then she ultimately chose to embrace her mental dysfunction... so now she's an actual mentally ill person with delusional disorders and... I can't think of what the storyline would be exactly. Probably best just to go with the first idea.