DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

For such an infamous cheapskate, why is Foley still taking indie bookings and touring his stand up instead of just enjoying his retirement. Did he make some bad investments or something?

Stupid thought - working around his kids.

Some people's idea of retirement isn't sitting around the house doing nothing, but just being selective. There are lots and lots of famous people that don't have to work but still do, since that is what they enjoy doing. Being financially set just means he doesn't have to take any jobs he doesn't want and can go at his own pace.

Now if he ever did an indy booking and actually wrestled, that would be a bad sign for his financials as I think everyone agrees he shouldn't be wrestling anymore.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2016 at 0:56 PM, DTTW said:

As a guy who trains in mma stuff, even if you catch Brock off guard, just no against a guy with zero experience. I mean punk lasted what 2 minutes?

I wasn't  thinking in terms of importance, i was thinking timing of matches. UFC has conditioned the fans that fights are all over the board time wise. WWE has pushed long matches as a narrative for as long as I know. They ran short matches like crazy but short ME is a rarity. Now they made it into a thing. How will the fans take to this attempt at reconditioning? How will they react to 20 minute matches if short dominations dominate the top of the card? Wasn't there a Japanese fed that did something like that?

I think you need to break the formula a few times here and there, and should do it once a night most of the time- just to condition fans that things could end quickly.

The hot tag doesn't need to be made sometimes.  Tag matches in particular are too formulaic.

The only downside is if it becomes too often, folks will expect the one unusual squash a night.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

For such an infamous cheapskate, why is Foley still taking indie bookings and touring his stand up instead of just enjoying his retirement. Did he make some bad investments or something?

You have no idea:

1:08-1:20. He invested in TNA.

33 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Does Billy get it? Or does he throw hissy fits and burn bridges when he doesn't get his way? Between Resistance Pro and TNA I'm leaning more towards the latter.

James Iha and D'Arcy laugh. And laugh and laugh and laugh. 

• Like 4

One thing I've noticed is that since Goldberg showed up ratings have gone up slightly but consistently. Even this past Monday was up and Goldberg wasn't on the show. This was also the first week in forever that RAW was over 3 million viewers for the third hour. 

I'd say that not only are people into this Goldberg/Brock thing but they are also into Sasha/Charlotte (as they closed the show) and maybe Jericho/Owens too. Not saying the show is perfect but I think it's finding a groove.

The first hour of Raw averaged 3.163 million viewers. Hour two drew 3.130 million viewers. The final hour of the show averaged 3.039 million viewers. We hope to have the actual rating later today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Nature Boy said:

I love this so much.

1) The WWE made over $650 million in revenue last year. They have a gigantic global media platform. That's the exact opposite of a small business.

2) It's not like they're a big corporation that uses small businesses to make or sell products. Wal-Mart buys a lot of goods from small businesses. Or car companies buy certain parts from small businesses. Maybe they deal with bulk T-shirt makers? But they have absolutely nothing to do with knowing how small businesses operate. The WWE hasn't been a small business since the 80s. And even then, I think a successful regional r

3) The McMahon's gave $5 million to the Trump Foundation. When the Trump Foundation had almost zero money. I guess this is the receipt.

Carnies.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if Raw is part of the post election ratings bump that some of the previously-down sports had seen. 

That's some of it, and shouldn't be discounted.  Also, cold weather has pushed people in around the TV.  Lastly, they're putting together their stories in a simple but cohesive way.  It's a perfect storm of everything coming together at once.

2 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

Does Billy get it? Or does he throw hissy fits and burn bridges when he doesn't get his way? Between Resistance Pro and TNA I'm leaning more towards the latter.

His idea that wrestling needs to be something beyond what has basically been the same approach for nearly 100 years isn't exactly rocket science. Look at the Hardy's stuff. Look at LU. You don't have to stick to the arena look.

6 minutes ago, DTTW said:

His idea that wrestling needs to be something beyond what has basically been the same approach for nearly 100 years isn't exactly rocket science. Look at the Hardy's stuff. Look at LU. You don't have to stick to the arena look.

To me that sounds more like Mark Burnet/Robert Rodriguez and co as well as Matt Hardy/Dave Lagana get it.

32 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

To me that sounds more like Mark Burnet/Robert Rodriguez and co as well as Matt Hardy/Dave Lagana get it.

Are Burnet or Rodriguez personally involved with the inner workings of the show? I suspect they're more  of the mindset of does it generate more money for or not, and after that, they don't care. Who is responsible for the actual creative direction of the show, DeJoseph ?  Hardy and Lagana weren't looking to be in a position to make that more of a reality for TNA, especially since Corgan says Dixie didn't like that stuff, which is surprising if it's her company. Wrestling drastically needs a shake up somehow. No one seems to have hit the target exactly again yet.

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I love this so much.

1) The WWE made over $650 million in revenue last year. They have a gigantic global media platform. That's the exact opposite of a small business.

2) It's not like they're a big corporation that uses small businesses to make or sell products. Wal-Mart buys a lot of goods from small businesses. Or car companies buy certain parts from small businesses. Maybe they deal with bulk T-shirt makers? But they have absolutely nothing to do with knowing how small businesses operate. The WWE hasn't been a small business since the 80s. And even then, I think a successful regional r

3) The McMahon's gave $5 million to the Trump Foundation. When the Trump Foundation had almost zero money. I guess this is the receipt.

Carnies.

I would hope she'd get Commerce.  She'd probably find reason to want to keep the FEC around, as her business is dependent on net neutrality and a lack of data caps.

On 11/29/2016 at 4:43 PM, DTTW said:

I'm just never going to buy any part of a 50 year old non fighter beating an actual fighter. It's not a deep thought it's just my perspective as a guy who crappily does mma.

Seriously, it's fake. That's the best part about it. David can beat Goliath in the right circumstances because again, fake. I'm all for El Torito beating Brock if they can do it in a clever enough way. All they have to do is be meticulous and show their work. I agree that they're not very good at doing that a lot of the time though, but that's not a problem with the premise, just the execution. Wrestling should always try to be consistent within itself. It should never sacrifice storytelling for "realness." If I wanted real, I'd watch something else. 

• Like 2