DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

6 hours ago, DTTW said:

As a guy who trains in mma stuff, even if you catch Brock off guard, just no against a guy with zero experience. I mean punk lasted what 2 minutes?

Heavyweights, man.

Bob Backlund was a man with multiple year plus long Championship reigns.

He got beat by Nitron with 1 boot and 1 powerbomb. Most people I've read or heard from over the years were cool with that.

If Magnum T.A. had won the NWA title with a kick and a belly to belly right after the bell rang, we'd still be talking about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zev said:

He got beat by Nitron with 1 boot and 1 powerbomb. Most people I've read or heard from over the years were cool with that.

If Magnum T.A. had won the NWA title with a kick and a belly to belly right after the bell rang, we'd still be talking about it.

Magnum going over Flair in 2 minutes including the stare down and jaw'ing would have popped the south harder than Daisy Duke on a pole.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

WWE has had 10 PPV Main Events be sub 10 minutes, 7 of which were in the last 16 years or so.  Brock vs. Goldberg wasn't even the shortest Main Event match.

To be fair, there's a big difference between an advertised main event and an unannounced final match like a MITB cash-in.

Looking back, I'm fine with the Brock/Goldberg booking, but it was definitely unprecedented in the modern era.

• Like 1

It could just be my own perception, but last night on Raw, Sasha went for a super early submission on Charlotte, and tonight the Kalisto/Dolph vs Miz/Baron match had super early pin attempts, and it seemed like the crowd was biting at those a lot more than they had been before Brock vs Goldberg. It could just be hot crowds this week, but to me the crowd reactions to early attempts to end the match seemed more pronounced than its been in a while.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, zev said:

Hell, they created the original WWWF by having Bruno beat Rogers in under a minute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You need to watch it. Think of the filthiest / most unhygenic roommate you ever had, then picture him missing an ear.

Aren't these stories about other people with someone else named to tell the story?

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You need to watch it. Think of the filthiest / most unhygenic roommate you ever had, then picture him missing an ear.

Ya pretty much, its basically H telling a story about wrestling Foley in an arena with no air con in the middle of summer. Foley is in his sweatpants and t shirt as ring gear stage, the 2 of them are drowned in sweat after the match and Foley uses his sweaty tshirt to dry himself off after showering and then put on the same clothes to leave the arena. 

He manages to swindle a garbage bag full of popcorn from the arena as a snack for his 600mile drive which he's taking because he cashed in his airline ticket to save money.

58 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

For such an infamous cheapskate, why is Foley still taking indie bookings and touring his stand up instead of just enjoying his retirement. Did he make some bad investments or something?

Maybe that is his idea of enjoying retirement?

16 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

To be fair, there's a big difference between an advertised main event and an unannounced final match like a MITB cash-in.

Looking back, I'm fine with the Brock/Goldberg booking, but it was definitely unprecedented in the modern era.

None of those 10 matches I mentioned were MitB Cash In's.  The 22 second Main Event listed is the inpromptu Hogan/Yokozuna Title match at Mania IX though.

17 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Magnum going over Flair in 2 minutes including the stare down and jaw'ing would have popped the south harder than Daisy Duke on a pole.

The story in my head now is that if it weren't for the accident, this was the planned finish to Starrcade 86 and it would've blown the roof off the Omni.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

For such an infamous cheapskate, why is Foley still taking indie bookings and touring his stand up instead of just enjoying his retirement. Did he make some bad investments or something?

We've all thought about living the dream and starting out our own leather jacket empire. Mick gave it a real go and is still paying the price. 

Image result for cactus jackets foley

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

Stupid thought - working around his kids.

Some people's idea of retirement isn't sitting around the house doing nothing, but just being selective. There are lots and lots of famous people that don't have to work but still do, since that is what they enjoy doing. Being financially set just means he doesn't have to take any jobs he doesn't want and can go at his own pace.

Now if he ever did an indy booking and actually wrestled, that would be a bad sign for his financials as I think everyone agrees he shouldn't be wrestling anymore.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2016 at 0:56 PM, DTTW said:

As a guy who trains in mma stuff, even if you catch Brock off guard, just no against a guy with zero experience. I mean punk lasted what 2 minutes?

I wasn't  thinking in terms of importance, i was thinking timing of matches. UFC has conditioned the fans that fights are all over the board time wise. WWE has pushed long matches as a narrative for as long as I know. They ran short matches like crazy but short ME is a rarity. Now they made it into a thing. How will the fans take to this attempt at reconditioning? How will they react to 20 minute matches if short dominations dominate the top of the card? Wasn't there a Japanese fed that did something like that?

I think you need to break the formula a few times here and there, and should do it once a night most of the time- just to condition fans that things could end quickly.

The hot tag doesn't need to be made sometimes.  Tag matches in particular are too formulaic.

The only downside is if it becomes too often, folks will expect the one unusual squash a night.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

You have no idea:

1:08-1:20. He invested in TNA.