DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

35 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

This. Billy Gunn failed b/c he f'n sucked. I remember his one match with Benoit that was supposed to be his coming out party and he got gassed within like 3 minutes. I'm fairly certain that match was supposed to be a lot more even but Gunn got gassed and Benoit was like "fuck it" and just took all of the offense.

I remember Billy nearly dropping Benoit on his head with a gorilla press in that match. It was during that short time he was going by "The One" Billy Gunn.

• Like 1

Billy Gunn is the epitome of a tag team wrestler. He works a high impact offense in short spurts and can look good doing that. Asking him to carry a match is a bit much though. 

There's nothing wrong with being a solid tag team guy, there's a reason that Ricky Morton was never a top tier singles guy, some guys are role players. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Nature Boy said:

Billy Gunn is the epitome of a tag team wrestler. He works a high impact offense in short spurts and can look good doing that. Asking him to carry a match is a bit much though. 

There's nothing wrong with being a solid tag team guy, there's a reason that Ricky Morton was never a top tier singles guy, some guys are role players. 

If Matt was around, he would likely mention Morton's match in Houston vs Bock as to Ricky's singles abilities when givn the chance. 

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I worry that this is how we'll be talking about Jason Jordan in two years time. 

Hopefully we won't have to because we'll be seeing a tag team wrestling rebirth on the main roster, as HHH runs the show more and more. 

I can dream, right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

With the Stampeders in the Grey Cup, this feels like the right time to share a story regarding a former Stampeder who also happened to be a pretty good professional wrestler:

I think the only Pillman story funnier than that is the one of him fucking a girl while hanging upside down from those boots that hang you from the ceiling. Imagine JR deadpanning that recollection...

EDIT: One wonders whether he would also be able to say "if it wasn't 18 inches I'm not wearing a black hat" as well

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I remember Billy nearly dropping Benoit on his head with a gorilla press in that match. It was during that short time he was going by "The One" Billy Gunn.

I remember Benoit going "'The One Billy Gunn'?  I don't even know what that means!" and thinking "Man, when Benoit crushes you on a promo, you're probably in trouble."

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hilarious that you bring that up, because when it was implied that Rock killed Billy Gunn's singles push, my thought was "Billy took care of that by himself."  And that Benoit match was what I remembered.  That fucking match was fifteen years ago, but I SO remember Gunn blowing up within minutes and just looking so bush league in comparison to Benoit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The stab wound was spinal. Del Rio just got defense wounds

That is, if you're being serious

I wonder how quickly Del Rio will recover after Paige stabs him after a major fight, then realizing marrying a guy 15 years older than her wasn't a wise decision.

Remember, keep the neck and legs covered so she can't go for the carotid or femoral.

6 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Hilarious that you bring that up, because when it was implied that Rock killed Billy Gunn's singles push, my thought was "Billy took care of that by himself."  And that Benoit match was what I remembered.  That fucking match was fifteen years ago, but I SO remember Gunn blowing up within minutes and just looking so bush league in comparison to Benoit.

Here's Scott Keith's review

Intercontinental title:  Billy Gunn v. Chris Benoit.  This is apparently the proverbial “it” for Billy to see if he can hang with the big boys, so if he doesn’t pull out a good match here the main event push ain’t happening.  Shoving to start.  Benoit stomps him down, but takes a drop toehold for two.  Fight to the floor, Gunn meets the stairs.  Back in, Benoit works the knee, but Billy gets a sunset flip for two.  Benoit dropkicks the knee to put him back down again.  Dragon-screw into a figure-four follows, but Billy reverses.  Gunn misses his corner splash, and Benoit hits the rolling germans, actually getting all three off without Gunn elbowing out of the third.  Billy is TOTALLY gassed.  Flying headbutt misses.  Gunn powerslams him for two.  Press-slam and Jackhammer (of sorts) but Billy’s knee is bad.  Fameasser gets two.  The curtain is falling.  The drop sleeper is blocked and reversed to the Crossface, but Gunn makes the ropes.  Gunn manages to fuck up a tilt-a-whirl slam, which should pretty much seal his fate.  Blind charge misses, and Benoit gets a backdrop suplex for two.  Gunn cradle gets two, but Benoit calmly rolls into the Crossface, and with nowhere to go it’s BUH-BYE, ROCKABILLY as Billy taps like the little girl he is.  Enjoy the undercard, Kip.  **  That’s pretty much the first time Benoit’s been allowed to completely dismantle an opponent from bell to bell. 

15 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I worry that this is how we'll be talking about Jason Jordan in two years time. 

Not a big fan of Gunn's. but, yeah, he was a decent-enough tag team wrestler.  Dude managed an 11-year run on the main roster, during which he was pretty much always over and getting some sort of push.  Hell, a tag team of Gunn and Chuck "I have no charisma" Palumbo got over huge.  Sure, some of it was politics and being friends with the right people, but he managed to stay on the good side of those people.

Dude did something right.  If Jordan 'only' has Billy Gunn's career, he's going to win multiple titles, sell a decent bit of merch, and make himself a nice pile of money.  He could do worse.

(FWIW, I don't think Jordan will be on the roster 10 years from now if he doesn't break out of the "tag guy" mold.  They'll give him a singles push at some point.  If he blows it like Gunn did, he won't last near as long on the roster.)

17 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

Are there role players anymore besides Ellsworth? Seems like everyone being a star makes no one a star and the one guy who isn't becomes one because he's the only guy who's different.

Who knew how many future guys would be hurt by the Monday Night Wars and the end of jobber squash matches?

Sami would be in a better spot Helluva kicking the faces off a Barry Hardy or Tom Stone. Better yet Sami delivering a Helluva kick to the giant cranium of Boris Zhukov

Imagine if the Wyatt's had been squashing SD Jones, Dale/Dusty Wolfe, and Mario Mancini along the way instead of being fed to the Usos, Cena, Taker, and Kane.

4 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

He does alright as Tag Team partner of YOSHITATSU in New Japan now. Gunn is just born to make the Hot Tag.

Fitting since I remember him on one of those network specials about tag teams saying Bart Gunn wound up in Japan because you don't need charisma or promo skills to make it there. 

"Hey Cody, wanna come work for the GFW?"

"Uh, no thanks, Jeff.  I'm pretty busy with indy bookings already."

"All righty.  Can I get a picture, at least?"

"Sure Jeff."

Jarrett slings the GFW Nex-Gen title over Cody's shoulder a split second before the camera flash goes off. 

"Gotcha! You're the champion, now!"  Jarrett says while scuttling away like Zoidberg, as a very confused Cody Rhodes looks at the gaudy belt hanging from his shoulder.

• Like 15