DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I could be way off base, but part of what I think what keeps so many coming back, especially anyone around my age range (25-35) is the unspoken promise that every decade or so there's bound to be one of those big time cathartic WM wins-- Austin at XIV, Benoit at XX (obviously tainted now) or Bryan at XXX for example. 

Not worth it...and look what happened to all three guys. Wrestling is a shitty profession.

Getting a meaningless emotional pop once every ten years isn't worth thousands of abusive hours in my world. Christ we used to get two or three of those every few months. 

Now get off my lawn!

• Like 1

There's lots of great wrestling moments in your average calendar year of WWE.

Enzo and Cass' debut.  AJ Styles debut (Styles wins over Cena were pretty great, too).  Strowman's first squash match on Raw.  Nia Jax putting Alicia Fox through the barricade.  Sasha-Charlotte getting the Raw main event (Replete with Charlotte's insane moonsault).  Bayley's debut on the big roster.  Goldberg's return promo.  Daniel Bryan's return.  The Miz promo on Daniel Bryan.

Yeah, you have to wade through some crap to get there.  But the highpoints outweight the lows.  And if they don't for you, for the love of God, it's 2016, watch something else!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Where's the interview at, like to check that out.  But if that's true then HTM is indeed a shitty, shitty person.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/jake-roberts-slams-honky-tonk-mank-for-stealing-trademarks-of-other-wrestling-names-and-gimmicks/

That is basically a transcript of the important parts

AAA is notorious for doing this. Registering guys names behind their backs.

How can HTM own Jim Duggan's name? I mean his real name is James "Jim" Duggan". You can't trademark someone's real name. Maybe he got the Hacksaw part, even that I can't see how that's possible.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Duggan owns his copyright. So not sure what Jake is talking about with him. But Honky does own The Patriot. and makes it known if anyone books the non-Honky endorsed one, you'll hear from his lawyer.

40 minutes ago, caley said:

Yeah, you have to wade through some crap to get there.  But the highpoints outweight the lows.  And if they don't for you, for the love of God, it's 2016, watch something else!

This is so fundamentally wrong in 2016 it's laughable. The viewer can go online and watch those 3 minutes that "matter" without having to sit through all the other crap. That's the problem with booking for moments and not developing stories people can invest in. Moments don't last and rarely do they matter. I don't know how long it's been, but we're still talking about Shakespeare, Grimm Brothers, and countless other great stories written ages ago.

Wrestling was way better when they were stealing from Shakespeare opposed to whatever Russo injected into it.

• Like 1

I wanna see Golden Truth hold the tag titles even if it's for one night, I don't know how you'd do babyface New Day vs babyface Golden Truth. Think it'd be fun if Golden Truth won the titles at a PPV, with ;like a schoolby fluke pin and then the next night on Raw had an over the top celebration in the ring with confetti and champagne only for Anderson and Gallows to break it up and challenge Golden Truth to a title shot and then win.

4 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Sorry guys - another Wrestlemania weekend related question.

All the indy shows running that weekend - any idea what is actually being scheduled to finish/start at a time deliberately so you can feasibly see both shows back to back or before/after HOF/NXT? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DTTW said:

This is so fundamentally wrong in 2016 it's laughable. The viewer can go online and watch those 3 minutes that "matter" without having to sit through all the other crap. That's the problem with booking for moments and not developing stories people can invest in. Moments don't last and rarely do they matter. I don't know how long it's been, but we're still talking about Shakespeare, Grimm Brothers, and countless other great stories written ages ago.

Wrestling was way better when they were stealing from Shakespeare opposed to whatever Russo injected into it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest maybe WWE is not for you.  I mean, I get annoyed with a lot of stuff but I'm still entertained more often than when I'm annoyed (And when I am annoyed, i.e. the last few weeks with the forced brand identity, that's just what I did!) so I still tune in.  If you dislike WWE matches so much that you're only watching 3 minute clips online, then I'm guessing you're following the wrong company.  I enjoyed the Owens-Jericho; New Day-Shamsaro; the Goldberg promo; the Owens-Jericho deal; both cruiser matches so watching 3 minutes means I would have missed lots of stuff I enjoyed.  

WWE is like the 'Lethal Weapon' TV series of wrestling.  There's lots of big moments and action, little characterization or subtlety or social issues being discussed with big, loud characters with lots of charisma.  If that's not you're looking for, rather than complain that Lethal Weapon should be cribbing from Shakespeare or Grimm Brothers, you're better off to turn to something else or accept it for what it is.  WWE is what it is, there's not a real need to complain about it. 

8 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Where else are you going to get your fill of store brand NWO and overrated British wrestlers that weekend, hmm?  Did you think of that?

Gallows and Anderson at Mania?

Syxx and Nash at the HOF?

1/2 of the Progress card?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RonL21 said:

How many losses does Goldberg have as a singles wrestler? I can't imagine it being more than five and I don't think any of his losses were clean at all.

16 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Cagematch stats have him losing 9 singles matches (one on one) out of 301.  I expect he might have been pinned once or twice in triangle matches, handicap matches, etc. as well.  No idea how many of those pins were clean.

Here's the link to his page and the statistical breakdown of his matches, in case someone wants to do the research:

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=658&page=22&type=byMatchType&eventType=

The 9 Singles losses listed:

1. 7/24/97: Loss to Chad Fortune (Dark match pre-debut)

2. Starrcade 98: Loss to Kevin Nash (pinned after being tasered by Scott Hall)

3. 10/25/99 Nitro: Loss to Bret Hart (pinned after interference from Nash, Hall, & Sid)

4. 12/5/99: Loss to Bret Hart (House Show)

5. Starrcade 99: Loss to Bret Hart (Montreal Screwjob finish from Roddy Piper)

6. 12/20/99 Nitro: Loss to Bret Hart (pinned after interference from Hall & Nash with baseball bats)

7. 7/24/00 Nitro: Loss to Booker T (pinned after interference from Jeff Jarrett & Ernest Miller)

8. Fall Brawl 2000: Loss to Scott Steiner (passes out in submission after a lead pipe shot and interference from Vince Russo, this one was no DQ though)

9. 7/20/03: Loss to Triple H (House Show)

Other instances he was pinned:

Sin 2001: Totally Buff def. Goldberg & Sarge w/ career on the line (Luger pins Goldberg after Buff Blockbuster)

SummerSlam 2003: Elimination Chamber, HHH pins Goldberg after sledgehammer shot

Armageddon 2003: Triple H pins Goldberg after Kane's chokeslam in triple threat match.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DTTW said:

I wrote a long answer, but my computer hates me. To make it short, why is it wrong to ask the WWE to get back into actual storytelling with consequences?

It's not and wrestling fans crave it. Since wrestling fans don't get it from WWE anymore they latch on to performers who have made a journey before reaching the big time. 

That's why the indy guys come in with built in storylines. It's why the nxt wrestlers become performers we are actively rooting for. 

The fans are in effect making up their own storylines.

Which coming full circle, brings us back to Nak. The idea that arguably the top wrestler in Japan bolted the top Japanese promotion for WWE is the storyline. Nobody cares how good his English is.

• Like 1