DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

39 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

I want to know on when Anderson & Gallows are going to get a decent push and win the belts?

I think it's in the offing sometime early next year.  New Day is almost definitely going to hold the tag titles until they break Demolition's record, then I foresee them dropping them to Sheamus/Cesaro who will, in turn, drop them to Gallows/Anderson who will probably carry them to either a Multi-Tag schmozz at WM, or feud with Enzo/Cass.  I mean, that seems to be the seeds being planted with Sheamus/Cesaro getting the big win last night to show they're on New Day's level, and Anderson/Gallows talking about serious wrestling and less goofiness putting them at odds with Enzo/Cass.

As a kid, I think I was more open to different types of wrestling than now. Then, I'd watch any wrestling.

Now, I pretty much need people using chains on one another, heels putting bounties on faces, and the occasional bluntly racist heel getting beaten up by black or Latino dudes to get myself hyped about the pro wres. 

EDIT: Oh, shit, or just really tightly-weaved storylines with sensible booking. I watch Lucha Underground for the soap opera-style storylines, not the wrestling. If it ain't Rey, Willie Mack, or Matanza Cueto, I find most of the work in the ring disjointed at best and insufferable at worst. The great storytelling, though, is awesome. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

For fuck's sake don't start watching Patriot matches if you are trying to get into All Japan man

Watching wrestling (for me at least) is an ever evolving taste. There's room for everything if it's done well, and sometimes you have to watch some really bad stuff to realize what you came in for in the first place. Go watch some of Rippa's bad match picks and see if you come back. It'll give you some perspective and brace you for what you don't really like. Kinda like athletics or something!

i was really asking more about the documentary portion of it. i was in my early teens when Patriot had his WWF run vs. Bret Hart, but i totally bit on it and enjoyed it. At the time i was sure he was gonna beat the Canadian heel and become the champ. ahh, to be young and dumb....

and i've watched plenty of crappy wrestling. hell, i watched WCW Mayhem '99 last night.

• Like 1

Wrestling fans look back on wrestling's past from today's perspective with an appreciation for the good and a...I'm not sure the right words, maybe sick pleasure, in some of the worst stuff ala end run WCW, do y'all think this trend will persist into the future? Will something similar happen with MMA or did it surpass that possibility due to age in which it was created and the instant access to most if not all information regarding the event thanks to the internet?

I look back at the Attitude Era and wonder how any of us stomached that crap.  So many shitty Raws, so many bad angles, so many insignificant matches.   

My tastes totally went from loving nothing but cruiserweights and solid wrestling to basically enjoying WWE-style stuff and very little else for the most part.  It's bizarre.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I look back at the Attitude Era and wonder how any of us stomached that crap.  So many shitty Raws, so many bad angles, so many insignificant matches. 

Personally, I was an angry youth who was frequently getting into trouble fighting authority and I loved big boobs. WWF RAW was perfect for me.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

and i've watched plenty of crappy wrestling. hell, i watched WCW Mayhem '99 last night.

Look, SS '16 was bad, I get it, but let's not say things we can't take back ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Maybe than can do a 50 and up senior discount Royal Rumble with HBK, Goldberg, 'Taker, Foley, etc etc

They would have to make the intervals five minutes so that most of them would have enough time to get to the ring.  And the thought of Foley taking an over the top rope bump now is absolutely frightening.

13 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Maybe than can do a 50 and up senior discount Royal Rumble with HBK, Goldberg, 'Taker, Foley, etc etc

9 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

They would have to make the intervals five minutes so that most of them would have enough time to get to the ring.  And the thought of Foley taking an over the top rope bump now is absolutely frightening.

Just make it a Gimmick Battle Royal like at WM 17. Sheiky wasn't able to do such a bump so they just let him win and have Sarge pop the crowd after the match.

10 minutes ago, RonL21 said:

How many losses does Goldberg have as a singles wrestler? I can't imagine it being more than five and I don't think any of his losses were clean at all.

Cagematch stats have him losing 9 singles matches (one on one) out of 301.  I expect he might have been pinned once or twice in triangle matches, handicap matches, etc. as well.  No idea how many of those pins were clean.

Here's the link to his page and the statistical breakdown of his matches, in case someone wants to do the research:

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=658&page=22&type=byMatchType&eventType=

18 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

It's for the same reason I still watch current WWE despite getting almost no enjoyment out of it. I'm chasing the wrestling dragon. It might take weeks. It might even take years. But I  know deep down there's going to be a great moment or great payoff that is going to make all of this worth it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JohnnyJ said:

It's for the same reason I still watch current WWE despite getting almost no enjoyment out of it. I'm chasing the wrestling dragon. It might take weeks. It might even take years. But I  know deep down there's going to be a great moment or great payoff that is going to make all of this worth it. 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

That moment? The roided-up old coot who laughs manically at "SPARKLE CROTCH" and poop jokes announces his retirement, and his provably competent son-in-law takes over the monopoly. 

• Like 1

I could be way off base, but part of what I think what keeps so many coming back, especially anyone around my age range (25-35) is the unspoken promise that every decade or so there's bound to be one of those big time cathartic WM wins-- Austin at XIV, Benoit at XX (obviously tainted now) or Bryan at XXX for example. 

• Like 1