DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 98: Dos Anjos vs. Ferguson (11/5/2016) - Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico (Arena Ciudad de México)

Elsalvajeloco

Overall, Dos Anjos couldn't deal with Ferguson's effective pressuring. Tony kept strafing him with solid combinations. Plus, Ferguson's chin held up over time and that's pretty discouraging when you're hitting him with punches right on the button.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also, he took the fight on like 3 weeks notice and his camp was pretty boneheaded in deciding to bring both Arantes and him to Mexico City on Tuesday like it was a regular fight week.

He was nine pounds overweight.  This is the fourth time he missed weight in the UFC.  UFC has cut fighters on less.  He's 1-3 in his last four and on a two-fight losing streak.  Again, UFC has cut fighters for less.  Gerald Harris was 3-1 and had one bad performance in an awkward fight with Maiquel Falcao, and they cut him loose for good.  

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

He was nine pounds overweight.  This is the fourth time he missed weight in the UFC.  UFC has cut fighters on less.  He's 1-3 in his last four and on a two-fight losing streak.  Again, UFC has cut fighters for less.  

They have also kept fighters who have done more. Hell, Cowboy Oliveira is still on roster and I doubt he did himself any favors with the postfight ordeal with Brooks (he drew Tim Means for his next fight so I guess that's his punishment). Alex Nicholson went on a couple racial tirades and got into some legal trouble (I believe assaulting some woman) and he fought tonight.

Gerald Harris was cut pre-UFC roster bloat and that's years back.

Alex Nicholson was cleared of that domestic violence issue in a third party investigation, or so the UFC says.  Nicholson's record is abysmal, so he could get cut after this loss tonight for all I know.

There was probably upside to keeping Anthony Johnson too after his third offense, but he still got cut after the Belfort fight and failing to make weight.

26 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Alex Nicholson was cleared of that domestic violence issue in a third party investigation, or so the UFC says.  Nicholson's record is abysmal, so he could get cut after this loss tonight for all I know.

Dude hasn't been in the UFC for an entire year, and he already had bunch of shit on his CV BEFORE he fought tonight. All of it was worse than missing weight. That's my point. 

There was probably upside to keeping Anthony Johnson too after his third offense, but he still got cut after the Belfort fight and failing to make weight.

Another one from several years ago now. I don't think they thought there was upside at the time, hence, why he was cut. AJ was in a different place in his career than Oliveira now.  He wasn't a ranked WW or MW. Do Bronx is a top ten FW, and they virtually went out their way to make sure he fought tonight under ridiculous circumstances. They could have easily canceled the fight, and just given Lamas his show money and probably win bonus. But they didn't. If his teammate made weight, I think that would have put him in a tougher situation because he wouldn't have that excuse. However, as is, I think they take mercy on him because it was not the brightest thing to come to Mexico City just three days before the fight when everyone else was there weeks in advance.

46 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

UFC cuts ranked fighters all the time.  

Not dudes they go out their way to get on a card.

John Lineker is ranked at BW, and he's getting a title eliminator after missing weight. Hendricks is still ranked at WW. 

Last thing I'll say on Do Bronx...

I'll think they will get more utility out of him at 155 because he's going to fight the same way no matter what division it's in. He's going to have slick wins at 145 or 155, and he's going to have ugly losses at either 145 or 155. His only purpose at featherweight is just to serve as a name in the division that's still trying to build up and coming fighters. If you have him fighting people like Pettis and Lamas, that's not really doing anything outside of making entertaining matchups. However, if it is a Brian Ortega, Yair Rodriguez, Arnold Allen, Mirsad Bektic, or fighters like that he's facing, you can at least get an entertaining fight as well as gauge where those fighters are at in their young career. Otherwise, you might as well send him back to LW because you can pretty much put him against a more diverse list of fighters. You're not bound by rankings to put him against a high level fighter. That's helpful when you're doing 4 or 5 shows in Brazil every year, and you need to make a halfway decent fight without sacrificing a big (or semi big) name you can use elsewhere. Plus, he will be closer in weight and it's only going to get harder for him to make 145 as he gets older.

• Like 1

Agreed on both parts. He looks like a monster. Still some holes in his game but he's got such a great combination of skills and off the charts determination. I could see him beating anybody in 155 on his day because he generally dictates how the fight is going to go and he's so well rounded.