DVDVR Message Board

So Vine is Dead

RIPPA

https://medium.com/@vine/important-news-about-vine-909c5f4ae7a7#.4ospmmtx2

Important News about Vine
Since 2013, millions of people have turned to Vine to laugh at loops and see creativity unfold. Today, we are sharing the news that in the coming months we’ll be discontinuing the mobile app.

EYEBROWS ON FLEEK, DAFUQ?

Important News about Vine

Since 2013, millions of people have turned to Vine to laugh at loops and see creativity unfold. Today, we are sharing the news that in the coming months we’ll be discontinuing the mobile app.

Translation: Until we find a way to tap into the revenue streams that social media influencers are making megaloads of cash from via our app, we will discontinue this platform.

Nothing ever made me feel more like an old man than the appearance of the "Vine star" and my inability to understand what any of this shit meant or why people were being called celebrities and being paid money for the most banal sexist, racist "My BAE BE LIKE!!!!" jokes.

The only funny fine I ever saw (and I can't find it again) was a camera panning across a stack of Bud Light cases while John Cougar Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane" started...and right when he started singing the words "Lil' diddy" there was a tiny cutout of Sean Combs.

I consider my outliving it a minor triumph for humanism.

• Like 3

I find Vine was a really solid outlet for comedy, but when your appeal is just doing something you could do on Youtube for more money...

Meanwhile Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook and sorta Twitter made their video displays resemble Vine without the strict time limitation, so it was more or less redundant from the end of year one. It's only hope was Vine culture and as with other internet cultures, it wasn't easy to monetize which made the platform KIA.